Sugar sensitive/pre-diabetes info please...

Options
Here's the scoop...
I come from a long line of Type 2 diabetics on my father's side (My great grandmother, my grandfather, and 2 of my 3 aunts). So I'm pretty sure I'm predestined. Actually knowing this was part of my inspiration, for losing weight. So far I'm 50 lbs down, which is great, but I have found that when I have sugar I am super sensitive and often wonder if at my highest weight if I was pre-diabetic.

I have never tested too high as far as blood sugar, but it still weighs heavy on my mind. I'm looking for tips from MFP folks who are or have been pre-diabetic...what should I look for, do, etc...??

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    stay away from added sugars & dairy (unless unpasturized). This seems to be helping me, and cutting the grains. Lean proteins, lots of veges and low GI fruits is the basis of my diet.
  • jalemap
    jalemap Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your weight loss. I was Pre-diabetic for about 2 years. My doctor told me if I would exercise and loose weight I would be just fine. My sister died from diabetes complications, my two brothers have diabetes, one very seriously. He is very overweight, has lost 100 pounds without trying. He does not eat properly and had diabetic sores on his feet. It is so sad to see. I myself was in denial even after taking care of my sister the last 3 weeks of her life. I am now a full blown diabetic taking Metformin twice daily. When I got the diagnosis, I cried. I still do sometime because I don't want this disease. It's progressive and aggresive. My nutritionist says that when you are even say 115 fasting in the morning that on the molecular level you organs are being damaged. I'm saying this to perhaps frighten you abit, but it is true. I'm a sugar holic, so I have left it alone mostly. When I do eat desert, it's a very small piece and not very often. I've learned to like lots of new foods and fruits. You must that your situation seriously and exercise and eat right. Learn to make the healthy choices. This is a wonderful site for you to log your food into. I try to stay around 45 carbs per meal with sometimes 2 snacks a day each with 15 carbs plus a protien. Don't know if this is what you wanted to hear, but it's from my heart. Take care of youself - you only get one life.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I also have a family history of diabetes, and am probably predestined too. I think the best thing we can do is to try and keep our weight down and exercise! And get regular blood sugar tests. If your sugar levels are normal, I dont think its worth stressing over. I think its like 80% of type2 diabetics are obese and sedentary!! Just dont go there!! :bigsmile:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Here's the scoop...
    I come from a long line of Type 2 diabetics on my father's side (My great grandmother, my grandfather, and 2 of my 3 aunts). So I'm pretty sure I'm predestined. Actually knowing this was part of my inspiration, for losing weight. So far I'm 50 lbs down, which is great, but I have found that when I have sugar I am super sensitive and often wonder if at my highest weight if I was pre-diabetic.

I have never tested too high as far as blood sugar, but it still weighs heavy on my mind. I'm looking for tips from MFP folks who are or have been pre-diabetic...what should I look for, do, etc...??
    You might have a genetic predisposition, but your lifestyle can play a big part in whether or not the "switches" for diabetes get flipped in you.

I have to say that I am not and have never been pre-diabetic (as far as I know) but I know that I do have some blood sugar regulation issues. I find that basing my meals around unprocessed meats, veggies, and fat helps keep my appetite and energy levels in check. I have heard people with pre-diabetes and even full-blown diabetes say similar things (and several type 2 diabetics who have controlled their disease entirely this way).
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in Jan 2011 with fasting blood glucose of 265. I have been successful in maintaining a normal blood sugar with diet alone and I find that the tools available on MFP are essential for keeping up with daily intake of carbs. A common misconception appears to be that sugar is the culprit, but the total amount of carbs consumed is what you need to be concerned about. I eat from 100 to 125 grams of carbs per day (hopefully with 25 grams of fiber included in that). They should be spread out throughout the day and not eaten all at once (no saving up for a huge piece of cake).

If you are concerned with keeping an eye on any progression of the desease, invest in a monitoring kit and test first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything and then 2 hours after you take your first bite. Normal is under 100 fasting and 140 or below 2 hrs later. Diabetics are technically expected to be slightly higher than that, but why go there if you can help it. You are very wise to be aware of the possibility of developing diabetes and taking the steps to keep it at bay. Best wishes on your efforts.
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    Thank you to those of you who have responded to my question so far...I truly appreciate it!
    Another part of my question...is what about fruits?? I usually don't notice as much of a reaction from natural sugars. And from what I know sugar is sugar despite it's form...Is this true??
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those of you who have responded to my question so far...I truly appreciate it!
    Another part of my question...is what about fruits?? I usually don't notice as much of a reaction from natural sugars. And from what I know sugar is sugar despite it's form...Is this true??
    Natural sugars in fruit and vegies as well as whole grains absorb into the bloodstream more slowly than processed sugar, starches (potatoes, rice, pasta etc) and white breads. It's easier for your body to use it as it slowly goes into the bloodstream instead of being flooded with sugar that it cannot use. Whole fruit is a good thing but must still be eaten in moderation. Some fruit is higher glycemic than others so choose the lower ones. Berries are a great choice. Google the glycemic index of foods to find ones that fit into your plan.