So tired...will this get better?

Options
I haven't started "really" working out yet. I want to start something next week and am still debating Turbo Jams and P90X...but right now, I am so tired, I can't imagine doing anything!

I've been keeping my calories around 1200-1350 and have been losing weight, and inches but I am just beat! I have also nearly eliminated diet coke from my diet, and am drinking a cup or two of tea a day but that is far, far less caffeine than what I was consuming. I am drinking a ton of water, usually about 80 oz a day.

I should mention I am also still nursing, but she's 20 months old and sustaining on solids, nursing is just a comfort for her. Still, I'm producing milk and I know that's an additional drain on my body. And just FYI, all the things we used to hear about milk production buring 800 calories a day is crap. It doesn't, the latest information on this claims that at best it might burn 350-500, and that's exclusively nursing an infant.

Anyway, why am I so tired??? I've never felt this drained. I am ashamed to say I bought a 12 pk of diet coke yesterday, just because I needed the pick me up, and it did help but I don't want this garbage in my body anymore!!!

Here's what I ate yesterday:
Generic - 3 Egg Omlete - 2 Egg Whites, 1egg, 1 Omlete 104 1 5 14 0 0 remove
Pace - Medium Salsa, 2 tbsp 10 2 0 0 2 0 remove
Kraft Natural Cheese - Colby 2% Milk Reduced Fat, 1 oz 80 0 6 7 0 0 remove
Spinach - Raw, 2 cup 14 2 0 2 0 1 remove
Add Food Remember Meal 208 5 11 23 2 1
Lunch
Fit & Active - Light Ranch Reduced Fat Dressing, 1 tbsp. (31g) 40 2 4 1 1 1 remove
Seanet Chunk Light Tuna - Tuna, 2 oz drained 60 0 1 13 0 0 remove
Broccoli - Raw, 1 cup, chopped 30 6 0 2 1 2 remove
Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cucumber (8-1/4") 23 5 0 1 3 1 remove
Add Food Remember Meal 153 13 5 17 5 4
Dinner
Schwans - Pierogies, 3 pierogies 180 34 3 6 1 1 remove
Meijer Organics - Chunky Garden Combo Pasta Sauce, 1/4 cup 35 6 1 1 4 2 remove
Schwan's - Black Cherry Low Fat Frozen Yogurt, 1/2 dup (72g) 120 23 3 2 15 0 remove
Add Food Remember Meal 335 63 7 9 20 3
Snacks
Garden Fresh Gourmet - Hummus Garlic Lover's, 1 oz 90 6 7 2 1 2 remove
Celery - Raw, 2 stalk large (11"-12" long) 17 4 0 1 2 2 remove
Aldi Fit & Active - Plain Nonfat Yogurt, 0.25 Cup 30 5 0 3 3 0 remove
Schwan's - Whole Blueberries, 3/8 cup 40 9 0 0 5 3 remove
Honey, 0.25 tbsp 16 4 0 0 4 0 remove
Mcdonalds Usa - Non-Fat Mocha Small, 12 oz 240 41 5 0 34 0 remove
McDonald's - Chocolate Chip Cookie, 1 serving

Obviously I could have done without the mocha and the cookie :(

Any suggestions? As far as balance goes, I feel good about what I am consuming but maybe I need more of something? I just don't understand why I am so tired!!!

Replies

• aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I haven't started "really" working out yet. I want to start something next week and am still debating Turbo Jams and P90X...but right now, I am so tired, I can't imagine doing anything!

I've been keeping my calories around 1200-1350 and have been losing weight, and inches but I am just beat! I have also nearly eliminated diet coke from my diet, and am drinking a cup or two of tea a day but that is far, far less caffeine than what I was consuming. I am drinking a ton of water, usually about 80 oz a day.

I should mention I am also still nursing, but she's 20 months old and sustaining on solids, nursing is just a comfort for her. Still, I'm producing milk and I know that's an additional drain on my body. And just FYI, all the things we used to hear about milk production buring 800 calories a day is crap. It doesn't, the latest information on this claims that at best it might burn 350-500, and that's exclusively nursing an infant.

Anyway, why am I so tired??? I've never felt this drained. I am ashamed to say I bought a 12 pk of diet coke yesterday, just because I needed the pick me up, and it did help but I don't want this garbage in my body anymore!!!

Here's what I ate yesterday:
    Generic - 3 Egg Omlete - 2 Egg Whites, 1egg, 1 Omlete 104 1 5 14 0 0 remove
    Pace - Medium Salsa, 2 tbsp 10 2 0 0 2 0 remove
    Kraft Natural Cheese - Colby 2% Milk Reduced Fat, 1 oz 80 0 6 7 0 0 remove
    Spinach - Raw, 2 cup 14 2 0 2 0 1 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 208 5 11 23 2 1
    Lunch
    Fit & Active - Light Ranch Reduced Fat Dressing, 1 tbsp. (31g) 40 2 4 1 1 1 remove
    Seanet Chunk Light Tuna - Tuna, 2 oz drained 60 0 1 13 0 0 remove
    Broccoli - Raw, 1 cup, chopped 30 6 0 2 1 2 remove
    Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cucumber (8-1/4") 23 5 0 1 3 1 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 153 13 5 17 5 4
    Dinner
    Schwans - Pierogies, 3 pierogies 180 34 3 6 1 1 remove
    Meijer Organics - Chunky Garden Combo Pasta Sauce, 1/4 cup 35 6 1 1 4 2 remove
    Schwan's - Black Cherry Low Fat Frozen Yogurt, 1/2 dup (72g) 120 23 3 2 15 0 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 335 63 7 9 20 3
    Snacks
    Garden Fresh Gourmet - Hummus Garlic Lover's, 1 oz 90 6 7 2 1 2 remove
    Celery - Raw, 2 stalk large (11"-12" long) 17 4 0 1 2 2 remove
    Aldi Fit & Active - Plain Nonfat Yogurt, 0.25 Cup 30 5 0 3 3 0 remove
    Schwan's - Whole Blueberries, 3/8 cup 40 9 0 0 5 3 remove
    Honey, 0.25 tbsp 16 4 0 0 4 0 remove
    Mcdonalds Usa - Non-Fat Mocha Small, 12 oz 240 41 5 0 34 0 remove
    McDonald's - Chocolate Chip Cookie, 1 serving

Obviously I could have done without the mocha and the cookie :(

Any suggestions? As far as balance goes, I feel good about what I am consuming but maybe I need more of something? I just don't understand why I am so tired!!!
  • Aeilm
    Aeilm Posts: 92
    Options
    The strangest thing is I will not want to move at all and I will be sooo tired, but when I actually make myself get up and do start exercising I have wayyy more energy and feel a ton better when I'm done. And I usually only get about 10 minutes of workout time at a time. Try it and see. :)
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Umm... just taking a guess here... it could be because... you have a 20 month old and I read in your profile that you have 3 other kids. You've got a lot on your plate! I remember when I was nursing my son (and I was supplementing with formula and food) - I was exhausted. I think you just have to be really kind to your body right now... you've still got lots of hormones and things coming into play right now.

I'm no expert on diet, so I'm not going to even make a guess at what you might need... someone else will comment, I'm sure.

I just wanted to give you a ((((((hug))))))) and some encouragement!
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    your menu seems alright, maybe it's just spring fatigue, it happens to a lot of people at this time of the year doesn't it?
  • ash101
    ash101 Posts: 2
    Options
    And also, it sounds like you're going through some caffeine withdrawls because of the soda- which is very normal. Typically when people adjust their caffeine intake they suffer from fatigue and headaches- I myself just went through this recently. So take some iburpofen and drink lots of water and keep your head up! You can do it! :)
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    And also, it sounds like you're going through some caffeine withdrawls because of the soda- which is very normal. Typically when people adjust their caffeine intake they suffer from fatigue and headaches- I myself just went through this recently. So take some iburpofen and drink lots of water and keep your head up! You can do it! :)

This is what I was going to ask also, how long have you been off the diet coke? Could be withdrawls:flowerforyou: It'll get better had the same prob with coffee:ohwell:
  • aymie24
    Options
    Umm... just taking a guess here... it could be because... you have a 20 month old and I read in your profile that you have 3 other kids. You've got a lot on your plate! I remember when I was nursing my son (and I was supplementing with formula and food) - I was exhausted. I think you just have to be really kind to your body right now... you've still got lots of hormones and things coming into play right now.

I'm no expert on diet, so I'm not going to even make a guess at what you might need... someone else will comment, I'm sure.

Thanks, I had to laugh at myself a little, I mean honestly it would have never occured to me that I am just tired from my life but ummm, yeah, maybe that was why I was hitting the vending machines a few times a day for sugar and drinking 8 cans of diet coke...lol

Let's see...hubby is in Iraq, nursing 20 month old who has sensory issues and going through autism evals, so can't do day care, juggle 36 hour work week between the few people she can handle staying with so I work 8am to noon and 3 pm to 6 or 7 pm plus evening support groups I run and answering pages 24/7, sometimes in person....two oldest kids are teen girls (ugh) and preschooler is my sunshine but he keeps me running...volunteer at kid's schools...and hold down the fort at home, with no extended family around at all....I *guess* that could be making me tired but, I can't/won't change any of that, so anyone have suggestions to replace the sugar and caffiene highs I was living on???

Thanks for the encouragement...I never would have stepped back to look at it like that!
  • rivergirl2
    Options
    If your tired, you should lay down for about 30 minutes, it is rejuvenating and your body will feel better. But as for your food intake. Too much Caffene and sugar can create a crazy reaction in your body. I have gotten to where I will have a cup of coffee in the morning, and a diet drink for lunch. But, between I drink lots of water to flush my body of the toxins. You can do this, make sure you enter EVERYTHING, into mfp, and when you start to notice results, you will be soooo happy. I have only been doing this for a week, and have lost 4.5 lbs., but I also workout every day. Good luck.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    The strangest thing is I will not want to move at all and I will be sooo tired, but when I actually make myself get up and do start exercising I have wayyy more energy and feel a ton better when I'm done. And I usually only get about 10 minutes of workout time at a time. Try it and see. :)

I agree wholeheartedly with this.. I used to be just like you sound (without the extra kids - I only have 2), but now that I have been exercising I feel so much better. If I miss a day, I feel the loss.

I know it sounds impossible right now, but if you start small (I would not have made it if I tried something as strenuous as TurboJams) and just do what you can, you will feel so much better.

Exercise will even help with the caffeine withdrawal..

Good luck to you..:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options

Thanks, I had to laugh at myself a little, I mean honestly it would have never occured to me that I am just tired from my life but ummm, yeah, maybe that was why I was hitting the vending machines a few times a day for sugar and drinking 8 cans of diet coke...lol

Let's see...hubby is in Iraq, nursing 20 month old who has sensory issues and going through autism evals, so can't do day care, juggle 36 hour work week between the few people she can handle staying with so I work 8am to noon and 3 pm to 6 or 7 pm plus evening support groups I run and answering pages 24/7, sometimes in person....two oldest kids are teen girls (ugh) and preschooler is my sunshine but he keeps me running...volunteer at kid's schools...and hold down the fort at home, with no extended family around at all....I *guess* that could be making me tired but, I can't/won't change any of that, so anyone have suggestions to replace the sugar and caffiene highs I was living on???

Thanks for the encouragement...I never would have stepped back to look at it like that!

Oh Dear God - you sweet thing.. you are a superstar for getting out of bed in the morning..

:drinker: :drinker:

Still, if there is any chance at all that you can get 15 minutes to yourself, either a short brisk walk, or a cat nap will do you wonders..

Hang in there - the baby years are gone before you know it..
  • aymie24
    Options

This is what I was going to ask also, how long have you been off the diet coke? Could be withdrawls:flowerforyou: It'll get better had the same prob with coffee:ohwell:

I have been off and on for three weeks. I do know that is coming into play but WOW, I hope that's not the sole cause because I am BEAT!!!

As I posted, I was living on about 6-8 cans a day and hitting up the vending machines at least once, usually twice, for sugar so I expected a drop in the "everylasting energy" that I used to think I had, but this is crazy, I can barely stay awake. I feel drugged. I think it's probably a combination of my crazy life, coming off the caffiene and sugar and maybe a little depression since hubby has only been gone three weeks and I am still being a big baby and having crying spells everyday.

Still though, I don't feel like this is right, there has got to be something I can do to boost my energy in a healthy way.....it's not getting better, it's getting worse.
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    First, I would suggest eating a little more. Everything I've read says that 1200 is the minimum amount of calories anyone should take in. Then add in the nursing.(I'm with ya, I don't think it burns that many calories for me either ) I wouldn't think you'd want to go under 1500 or so.

With being tired all the time... Have you ever had your thyroid checked? I found after my second child that I was exhausted no matter what, finally my doc checked my thyroid and it was low.
    Also, my doc asked if I had a baby monitor. Well, come to find out instead of getting a good nights sleep I was listening to the monitor and never really getting into a deep sleep. :yawn: I thought I was sleeping all night but when I got rid of the monitor my world changed.

Just a few suggestions, I hope they help, and that you feel better soon! :smile:

180588.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • aymie24
    Options
    First, I would suggest eating a little more. Everything I've read says that 1200 is the minimum amount of calories anyone should take in. Then add in the nursing.(I'm with ya, I don't think it burns that many calories for me either ) I wouldn't think you'd want to go under 1500 or so.

With being tired all the time... Have you ever had your thyroid checked? I found after my second child that I was exhausted no matter what, finally my doc checked my thyroid and it was low.
    Also, my doc asked if I had a baby monitor. Well, come to find out instead of getting a good nights sleep I was listening to the monitor and never really getting into a deep sleep. :yawn: I thought I was sleeping all night but when I got rid of the monitor my world changed.

Just a few suggestions, I hope they help, and that you feel better soon! :smile:

Ohhh, thyroid...thanks, I was just saying I need to go in for a physical and I will mention that.

We don't have a monitor because we don't use cribs....I am one of those crazy parents who co-sleeps and baby wears, though she's too big to wear now, so she does still nurse on demand through the night. Part of her sensory/possible autism issues cause her to not sleeping well. So, no, I am not sleeping soundly, ever, but I've been doing that for years so I assume my body has just adjusted. Our 4.5 year old sometimes sleeps in his own bed but our 20 month old has only ever known our bed, which is a little uncomfortable for me because we took it apart and put the box spring and mattress on the floor for safety reasons....

Crap, the more I am talking the more I am thinking that maybe this whole life change thing is going to have to incorporate more than diet and exercise....
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    your menu seems alright, maybe it's just spring fatigue, it happens to a lot of people at this time of the year doesn't it?

I was thinking the same thing.

Spring has been quite a tease so far ...:smile:
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I found too that when my kids were home for the summer ,and I got to sleep in I feel better. I'm getting way more sleep then. My doc says I have chronic fatigue syndrome but I think some of my problem is chronic lack of sleep. I too thought my body had adjusted to not sleeping, but if I look back I was just going down hill all along. I would try to compensate by drinking pepsi (ohhh that sounds so good right now!), but it really was just a gradual down hill slope.

I hope things get better soon. I've been there, it stinks. I still get that way sometimes, and it can be so overwhelming at times. Maybe your doc can give you some advice on what's going on. He/She may have something you can take that would help, or some advice to try. But ask about your thyroid it's a pretty common prob. for moms.

:smile:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    First, I would suggest eating a little more.

Ohhh, thyroid...thanks, I was just saying I need to go in for a physical and I will mention that.

Crap, the more I am talking the more I am thinking that maybe this whole life change thing is going to have to incorporate more than diet and exercise....
    :drinker: Right on!

LONG----
    My first thoughts were that you needed more calories and more protein. I'm no expert but your cals seem low for a nursing mom who is clearly awake and busy many hours a day.

And then learning more about your life--g-d bless you, woman! you do so much for others. :flowerforyou:
    and now it's time to do more for JUST you and your family. I know you said you don't want to change your activities, but your volunteer work seems a reasonable part to eliminate. maybe when hubbie is back from deployment (thank you--and may he return safely soon), you could add that back in. but right now you are one woman and both mom and dad. that's more than enough. to keep giving more of yourself seems to be stretching you just too too thin.

plus you mentioned your 20m is going thru evals. i have a special needs child and it takes A LOT of energy, especially mental. you don't realize how much it takes a toll on your body.
    so you need to be kinder to yourself--giving yourself more time to eat right, exercise, read/bath/paint your nails/color/knit whatever--mindless soothing pampering to help your body and soul rejuvenate. this is espec critical in your situation w/4 kids, a husb deployed, nursing, special needs....

obviously i don't know your finances, but maybe you could go to 1/2 time for work. again, at least until your dh returns. could you give this a 3-month trial? could either of the teens take on small jobs whose income could go to the family pot? i realize that's unconventional, but not unheard of. they actually might come to feel very good about themselves for helping the family in such a concrete way.

as for sleep. hmm. that's tricky, too. i'm not opposed to co-sleeping, but at the same time, you really need to get to the deep sleep critical for various body functions. 20m w/o that is probably also wreaking havoc with your body. you don't really "adjust", just your body secretes more cortisol and other hormones get changed around to deal with the "torture." sleep deprivation is an effective torture technique, and it really sounds like it's having an effect on you.

does the nursing wake you? could baby sleep farther from you so it's not as easy to get to the breast (and thus maybe baby will just go back to sleep)? does baby have a lovey besides you? maybe adding that and transitioning off of you for comfort will help you and baby sleep longer/better.

many studies have shown that women need 7-9 hrs/nt for sleep. Otherwise, hormone levels get whacked and you actually gain weight. Even just making that one change to get more sleep will lead to weight loss (even w/o changing other habits). Can you turn in 1/2 hour earlier each night? assign more chores to the teens--like putting the 4 y.o. to bed? Most teens prefer to stay up late and sleep in (which is how their bodies are programmed). Maybe you could use that to your advantage that they do more in the evening?

obviously, these are all just suggestions. i am not trying to be bossy. i just wanted to share various ideas, and maybe just one of them will work.

i am so sorry for the pain you are in. you are doing so much and it's just sapping you. i feel for you. :heart:

hope we have given you something helpful. hang in there.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Exercise is the key, start slow, walk, move in a consistent way to burn calories, you wont burn what you are eating you will burn what you are storing ie body fat. when you get the exercise going you will have so much more energy! It is kind of like a car with a full gas tank, no key, no motion it rots and breaks down, use it, maintain it and move it, you will get somewhere! Dont give up, you will see how fast you feel better.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Oh, nursing burns a lot of calories. You're supposed to have 500 extra calories while you're nursing. Did you ask your doctor before going on a diet?
  • aymie24
    Options
    Oh, nursing burns a lot of calories. You're supposed to have 500 extra calories while you're nursing. Did you ask your doctor before going on a diet?

Thanks for the response but I am a breastfeeding counsleor and I wouldn't ask any doctor a darn thing about nursing. They get zero factual information about it in med school :grumble: and our family doc, and several local nurses and docs call me, or my counterpart, when they have nursing questions. There are great doctors who have taken the initative to really immerse themselves in breastfeeding knowledge but they are very few and far between, partly because it's just easier to regulate a formula fed baby's intake, and partly because it's time consuming and cumbersome to find good, science backed information.

Nursing burns a varied amount of calories, depending on the mother, the age of the baby, exclusive or supplemented feedings, and the caloric content of the milk, which can range from 11 to 33 per ounce and has nothing at all to do with the mother's diet. 500 is on the very high end and I am absolutely certain I am not burning that much at this point.

I know there is a ton of information floating around online but breastfeeding is not something that has yet been widely studied in the US so we are debunking misinformation about it regularly. I'm sure whomever told you nursing burns a lot of calories believed that to be true, but it's just too hard to say that for sure for any one woman.

Also, I am not on a "diet", I am eating healthy to change my life. I wouldn't "diet" and try to loose weight too quickly while I am still nursing, more than two pounds per week can allow for the release of toxins from fat into breastmilk.
  • aymie24
    Options
    First, I would suggest eating a little more.

:drinker: Right on!

LONG----
    My first thoughts were that you needed more calories and more protein. I'm no expert but your cals seem low for a nursing mom who is clearly awake and busy many hours a day.

And then learning more about your life--g-d bless you, woman! you do so much for others. :flowerforyou:
    and now it's time to do more for JUST you and your family. I know you said you don't want to change your activities, but your volunteer work seems a reasonable part to eliminate. maybe when hubbie is back from deployment (thank you--and may he return safely soon), you could add that back in. but right now you are one woman and both mom and dad. that's more than enough. to keep giving more of yourself seems to be stretching you just too too thin.

plus you mentioned your 20m is going thru evals. i have a special needs child and it takes A LOT of energy, especially mental. you don't realize how much it takes a toll on your body.
    so you need to be kinder to yourself--giving yourself more time to eat right, exercise, read/bath/paint your nails/color/knit whatever--mindless soothing pampering to help your body and soul rejuvenate. this is espec critical in your situation w/4 kids, a husb deployed, nursing, special needs....

obviously i don't know your finances, but maybe you could go to 1/2 time for work. again, at least until your dh returns. could you give this a 3-month trial? could either of the teens take on small jobs whose income could go to the family pot? i realize that's unconventional, but not unheard of. they actually might come to feel very good about themselves for helping the family in such a concrete way.

as for sleep. hmm. that's tricky, too. i'm not opposed to co-sleeping, but at the same time, you really need to get to the deep sleep critical for various body functions. 20m w/o that is probably also wreaking havoc with your body. you don't really "adjust", just your body secretes more cortisol and other hormones get changed around to deal with the "torture." sleep deprivation is an effective torture technique, and it really sounds like it's having an effect on you.

does the nursing wake you? could baby sleep farther from you so it's not as easy to get to the breast (and thus maybe baby will just go back to sleep)? does baby have a lovey besides you? maybe adding that and transitioning off of you for comfort will help you and baby sleep longer/better.

many studies have shown that women need 7-9 hrs/nt for sleep. Otherwise, hormone levels get whacked and you actually gain weight. Even just making that one change to get more sleep will lead to weight loss (even w/o changing other habits). Can you turn in 1/2 hour earlier each night? assign more chores to the teens--like putting the 4 y.o. to bed? Most teens prefer to stay up late and sleep in (which is how their bodies are programmed). Maybe you could use that to your advantage that they do more in the evening?

obviously, these are all just suggestions. i am not trying to be bossy. i just wanted to share various ideas, and maybe just one of them will work.

i am so sorry for the pain you are in. you are doing so much and it's just sapping you. i feel for you. :heart:

hope we have given you something helpful. hang in there.

I just wanted to say thanks! Honestly, all of your suggestions are wonderful but few are real options right now.

My job is grant funded, so it's not the money that's an issue, I barely make any, lol. I have wonderful benefits, aside from health care, my kids can go the university I work for for half price...4 kids...thats a lot of $$$, lol

My volunteer job at the kid's school came about only because nobody else would step up, so if I step down, the program goes away. I just took it on a few months ago and that was only because the kids wanted it so badly and nobody would volunteer. It's a middle/high school leadership program...and I couldn't walk away from them knowing there's nobody who else will step in and continue it.

My teens are only 13 and 15, and they help a TON!!! They do help put the little ones down to bed, because it's a huge challenge since I am pretty much glued to the 20 m old all the time and they also take turns caring for them while I work from 3-6 because no one else the baby will stay with is available.

I think I am going to start walking this week and maybe up my protein. I want to start P90X asap. I may have to go to bed earlier and start thinking about transitioning the baby into her own bed soon. I want this, and I may have to make some adjustments in areas I didn't expect to make it happen, but I will make it happen :bigsmile:

Aslo, thanks for the encouragement to pamper myself, my husband said the same thing last night, lol!