More Protein

Options
HI,
I am needing to increase my protein intake.
I'm altenate breakfast between 2 eggs and special K
lunch is usually 100g can of tuna on toast
i have chicken or fish every dinner

I was doing tofu for snacks but that adds way too many calories for the amount of protein it provides

how can I add protein without adding extra carbs?
Do I have to resort to protein shakes?

Replies

• karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I never wanted to add protein shakes either. But Optimum Nutrition's Chocolate one is great. I mix 1/2 c. nonfat milk, ice and water and blend in a bullet. Tastes like a milkshake! And I'm a PICKY eater. I think it has 24 grams of protein per scoop and is the lowest calorie one I've found. Good luck!
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    HI,
    I am needing to increase my protein intake.
    I'm altenate breakfast between 2 eggs and special K
    lunch is usually 100g can of tuna on toast
    i have chicken or fish every dinner

I was doing tofu for snacks but that adds way too many calories for the amount of protein it provides

how can I add protein without adding extra carbs?
    Do I have to resort to protein shakes?

Egg whites, cottage cheese.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You have to add calories to add protein. 1 gram of protein = 9 calories.
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Beans and Nuts :)
  • cookc04
    Options
    Yes I understand that protein = calories
    I just have been advised by doctors that I need to increase my Protein to Carb ratio.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard Whey Protein shakes
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cheese (for your goals, a lower calorie "light" cheese would be ideal, but beware of the added sodium), and nuts for snacks are a staple for me and I generally tend to have at least 100 grams of protein a day and stay within my calorie count.

And I've never had a protein shake before.

Oh and if you have more egg whites in your day, you'd improve your protein to calorie ratio tremendously. 17 cals per 4 grams of protein isn't too shabby! :wink:
  • cookc04
    Options
    Yeah i thought greek yoghurt would be good but has heaps of carbs.
    I do have lots of Nuts already and make a great chopped nuts & eggwhite 'bites'
    Don't you feel guilty about wasting the yolk of the egg?
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yeah i thought greek yoghurt would be good but has heaps of carbs.
    I do have lots of Nuts already and make a great chopped nuts & eggwhite 'bites'
    Don't you feel guilty about wasting the yolk of the egg?

Not sure what Greek yogurt you have available near you but the kind I buy has only 7 carbs, 90 calories and 15 grams of protein. It's also plain, though.

No I don't feel guilty about wasting the yolk as I don't like the taste of yolk, but if your goal is to keep your calories low, and your protein high, egg whites would help that.
  • justinvarg01
    Options
    Smoked fish with breakfast. Low in cals and loaded with quality protein and Omega 3 oils
  • cookc04
    Options
    yeah all the greek yogurts I have are (g Protein)=(g of Carb). which is better than other yogurts but still not helping my ratio.

Hmm smoked fish for breakfast - hope I don't get gout. but I think I could do that. Had fish for dinner and that was pretty good.
  • Taly7
    Taly7 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a scoop of Protein powder on my oats in the morning - 30g of extra protein, and chocolate oats! lol
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

Uhm no!

1 gram of Protein = 4 Calories
    1 gram of Carbs = 4 Calories
    1 gram of Fat = 9 Calories

Eat nuts, peanut butter, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, protein shakes, quinoa....
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Uhm no!

1 gram of Protein = 4 Calories
    1 gram of Carbs = 4 Calories
    1 gram of Fat = 9 Calories

Eat nuts, peanut butter, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, protein shakes, quinoa....

Don't forget alcohol = 7 calories/gram
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    All of the above, also try cold chicken/turkey as a snack. Skip potatoes/rice/pasta from your dinner and replace with lean protein & veg. I ususlly meet my goal of 120g of protein a day by doing that (1300 cals, 100g of carbs).
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    hemp seed ! very tasty high in protien ,also lentils, chickpeas

Linwoods - Shelled Hemp Seed, 15 g = 89Cals, 1carbs, 5 protien, 7fat .
  • cookc04
    Options
    Yeah gave up potatoes and rice and pasta for dinner almost a year ago.
    Can't have too much 'sandwich meats' because of the preservatives, but I do tinned tuna for lunch and if I have left over meat from night previous might have that also.
    I think I'm going to give up and just resort to protein shake.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I make a chicken salad that uses greek yogurt, dijon, grapes, and apple that has 21g protein and only 8 carbs. Great as a snack or as part of a meal. Of course it's a lot more carbs if you make it a sandwich, but you can eat it straight from the bowl or with lettuce too to keep the carbs down. (2 x 4.5 oz cans chicken - drained, 1 small apple cored & chopped, 20 grapes chopped, 3 tbsp plain greek yogurt, 3 tbsp dijon mustard - makes 3 servings at about 143 calories each, 21g protein, 8 carbs). You could add cheese to just about any meal for a little extra protein. Hardboiled eggs are great in salad, as is chicken.

I can't 'give up' pasta and rice, however I've learned to have less of it and more of the protein and veg. Still get to enjoy the pasta with a little less on the plate. Really tough since I'm a huge pasta lover. :-)
  • MikeDailyIntake
    Options
    Protein shakes are the way to go if you want easy, try to get a whey isolate protein shake instead of your normal protein shakes, isolate has less cholesterol with still the same grams of protein.
  • emandbensmom
    Options
    I add half a scoop of Gold Standard Whey Protein and 2 TB PB2 to my plain 3/4 cup Chobani or Fage Greek yogurt. I eat this almost every day. 34g protein to just 13-14g carbs and only 200-210 kcal and 3g fat. Plus, it's delicious, especially if you add in a couple of Splendas or Truvias, whichever is your choice.