Please help me find my motivation & willpower...

Options
Ok so I have been attempting to lose this weight for 3yrs with absolutely no success. But now following a stern telling from my doctor and the realisation that I am getting nowhere with my young horse I have no choice but yo succeed and I want it more than ever... So I have 65lbs to lose to reach my first target and ideally I would like to lose this as quickly and healthily as possible... Anybody got any ideas?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    No. Find it yourself.

::huggz:: Seriously. That's how it works.

My life goal is to enlist in the military which entails certain weight and fitness requirements. Figure out what motivates you. It has to be internal.

What is it?
  • Fitnett
    Options
    The healthy weight loss is 0.5 - 1 kg per week. I'm telling you this because I'm qualified fitness instructor. People are trying to loose weight as fast as they can and then they get back more weight then was before.
    Always watch what you eat. Don't find yourself sitting on the sofa. Always be on feet. Do cardio exercises daily. It can be running, race walking or gardening, cleaning or similar houseworks.
    I prefer running for cardio workout. I hated it before but now I found the way to do it in more comfortable way. I do interval running with Gymboss interval timer. I set up it 1 min I jog 10 sec I walk. Now I like running workouts and I can't wait until my next. Begginer should start from 10 intervals daily and then increase.
    Good luck ;)
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You have to want to do it. Find something that you like to do. Run, Bike, Swim... anything that burns calories. I use HIIT training with my bike, stationary, and I run. You also have to eat halfway decent. I'm not totally there with my food choices but doc tells me that I am healthy. (Very picky eater.) Feel free to check out my meals.

I concentrate more on food portions and exercise. It may not work for you. You have to find out what works and what doesn't.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Mckay is right- you need to find your motivation- that thing that matters more to you than the instant gratification of chocolate, or that will push you out of the door for that walk when it's raining.

the thing that got me started was that i wanted to be able to run the 700 metres to my friends house. i figured if i could do that, then i could play with my kids more and be a better and more active mum. and i would be less likely to die of a heart attack, stroke or other obesity related illness. i just wanted to not feel the way i did- i had no hobbies, no life apart from work and kids, and nothing that was just for me. then once i got to my friends house (which took about 6 weeks to build up to do the 4 minutes non stop, by the way!)i wanted to run a 5k. then a 10k. then a half marathon. and now i want to run a full one.

what makes you tick?

ETA- the other thing is to be more mindful of your portion sizes and your food choices. it's now easier for me to fill half my plate with salad and have my meal on the other half, whereas before my plate would have been piled high. i cannot cut anything out though. this is supposed to be a new lifestyle choice, so you have to make it work for you. and you really have to want it.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i was exactly the same hun. i'd diet for a couple of days, conclude that it doesnt work so give up. or i'd have 1 healthy meal, then eat loads of crap and wonder why it didnt work. basically i was just being totally lazy. you just have to get on with it as you are the only person that can make a change to your life and body. the amount of crap i could put away was shocking, and i honestly dont think i could eat as much as i used to now.

you just have to suck it up and stop eating crap. you know whats healthy and what isnt. just stick to it. for years and years and years i came up with excuses. its just not worth it. i've had a bad day so i'm gonna have a chocolate. that 1st day that i stuck to it i felt fab. the first time i saw a loss, i felt fab. the first time i got through a crap day without turning to junk food. i felt fab! and that fab feeling carries on as you keep losing.

i had 66lbs to lose and i never in a million years thought i could get anywhere close to losing that much, but i'm on the road, i'm getting there. calorie counting is great, but i'm also not eating anything with more than 5g of fat per 100g, and no carbs for dinner. totally cut out pasta and potatos. that works for me. you have to find what works for you and stick to it.

i really hope you can get the motivation you need :)
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    that 1st day that i stuck to it i felt fab. the first time i saw a loss, i felt fab. the first time i got through a crap day without turning to junk food. i felt fab! and that fab feeling carries on as you keep losing.

i had 66lbs to lose and i never in a million years thought i could get anywhere close to losing that much, but i'm on the road, i'm getting there. calorie counting is great, but i'm also not eating anything with more than 5g of fat per 100g, and no carbs for dinner. totally cut out pasta and potatos. that works for me. you have to find what works for you and stick to it.

i really hope you can get the motivation you need :)

Awesome Steph!!! And totally true! It is about what works for you...definately not the same for everyone. It is nice to hear what makes others succesful because you may have not that of that on your own...but it definately come down to you. I Agree with steph....once you start getting encouraged by positive accomplishments you won't want to get off track or quit....it will drive you to do more! I personally hate running...so, I signed myself up for a 5k and started the couch to 5k program. I needed to give myself a tangible goal...something to work towards other than my goal weight.
  • KCB1978
    KCB1978 Posts: 113
    Options
    thanks guys xx