Clothes

Options
2»

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    get rid of them. That's what I have done.
    Then I go to good will shops and buy things that fit until I get to my ultimate goal weight, and then I will buy a proper wardrobe.
  • susy99
    susy99 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Set them on fire!!
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I say get rid! I am ashamed to admit that up until recently I was wearing maternity clothes still and the triplets are 3 years old now. I got rid of those!!!! We would love another child but chances are high that we would have multiples again and we cant afford that. I have a pot in my house and everytime I lose 1lb I put a fiver in the pot (cheaper than the the choc I was eating. When I reach my goal of -106lbs I will have 530 to spend on new clothes. My husband tells me that if I reach my goal he will double whats in the pot! even better!
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Set them on fire!!

I might do this with mine! That would be very satisfying!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Definitely get rid of them. Don't give yourself any space to get bigger again. If you donate them to a charity shop, you could help the charity raise money, let someone else get the benefit of your old clothes, and also clear out some space for new clothes for skinny new you!
  • GrammyM
    GrammyM Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also say get rid of them.

Also for those of you that need "in between" clothes, because you're planning to lose more: Target always has coupons for clothes at Target.com. You can print off two per computer. Usually they are for $3 or $5 off. There is no minimum to these, so I raid the clearance section and get free clothes all the time (I'm not very picky about style... just has to be basic and not too out there). This has really helped me in the past with both pants and shirts and even bathing suits, as I just can't afford new clothes, but all of my clothes are getting too loose :)

Wow, what a great tip. I already love getting stuff for $3, but free is even better!

For years I've worn suits and dresses almost exclusively to work and have tons of closet space, so I keep about three sizes on hangers and ready to wear all the time. As I move down in weight, the top size goes either to a friend or to resale.
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. I think I'll start saving that way and should have a good few pounds (money not weight) to spend when the day comes - what I'd really like is a lovely dress for next Christmas (2012) and a pair of knee-high boots.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If you would like to read my opinion. I write about a paragraph on my "fat clothes" in my story in my signature. I am pretty passionate about this topic, so I won't get into it here. :drinker:
  • Neujewel
    Neujewel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have gotten rid of the ones that I will never wear again... but I did keep some of the bigger clothes just in case. I'm not done having kids, so I figured I'd save myself some money and use the bigger clothes as maternity clothes :)
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    In early September, I booked an appointment with a really good tailor, i took all my good winter work clothes for alterations. Together we figured out which ones were worth altering. I picked them up a couple of weeks ago. It feels like I have a whole new wardrobe. It is a badge of honor each time I wear an altered item. Some are a little loose already, but I am on such a deliberate slow path that I know I will get through the winter. By spring, I expect to be in maintenance mode and I'll start purusing the clearance shelves for next winter. I am wearing a great pair of altered pendleton wool pants to work today. It cost me $15 to alter and they fit perfectly. When I search for them or an equivalent in my new size on 60% clearance in the spring, I suspect they will cost a whole lot more than that.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    My bff is on here and about a size behind. I give them to her and she passes them on to people <3
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Like many of the other replies, I'll agree -- get rid of them! My wife and I have made 3 or 4 trips to the donation window at Goodwill over the past year.

I just feel like, if I keep the old, bigger stuff around, it will be too easy to just fall back into it. "Oh, my 34's are feeling a little tight, so let me just slip on these 36's." as opposed to "Damn! The 34's feel a little tight, let me put a little extra time in with the running shoes and take a closer look at what I'm eating."

Those bigger clothes don't look very good on so I'm not going to wear them, why keep them around?
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I say donate them. You don't need them right now, and there are a lot of people out there who do need them and can't afford buying new.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I kept one pair of pants from my largest size. The rest went to the thrift store that benefits the "life skills" programs for the learning disabled in our area. I have had them bagged up and sitting in our guest room for 6 months! I finally got them to the thrift shop this week. It felt really good to get them out of the house! That and we need our guest room for the holidays! :tongue:
  • imustbegood
    imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Donate them - that way when u r at goal and u don't put on a few extra pounds u will have to do.something to get rid of them as u won't have bigger pants to just grab and wear - its hard I agree - but I have just filled my third bin bag for charity with my fat pants - if there not here I can't wear them !!!!
  • 1jeaniebeanie
    1jeaniebeanie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I am going through... I don't want to waste money on new clothes that I intend on shrinking out of in the near future.
    Unfortunately- I noticed that I have been shopping more lately... uh oh! But it is soo exciting now... For the last 8 years, I have hated shopping for any new clothes and would actually go months without stepping into a shopping mall... since I never liked how things fit and how I looked in them... it was more of a shopping because I needed clothes... lol..

Now, I am realizing that most of my clothes have become very out dated... lol and I need to revamp my closet once I reach my goal weight :ohwell: (at least the shopping will be fun!)
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Keep one item (a pair of pants or shorts) that you aren't particularly fond of to remind yourself of how far you've come. Can also be used for some great progress shots!
  • 1jeaniebeanie
    1jeaniebeanie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you would like to read my opinion. I write about a paragraph on my "fat clothes" in my story in my signature. I am pretty passionate about this topic, so I won't get into it here. :drinker:

I just read your blog... OMG! I completely understand about waking up one day and having it just click in your head that it is time to get healthy! I had the same moment on my birthday this year! There is no turning back!

Thank you for writing that story of your journey! Very inspirational! I can't wait to write my story after I reach my goal! I can't wait to share your link with my friends that are also on this same journey!

Thank you for the inspiration!!! =D
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    A number of years ago I had 5 sizes of clothes in my closet… size 6 to 16. A couple of years ago when I lost a decent amount of weight, I went through them all and got rid of the smallest and the biggest, leaving myself with three sizes. My thought process was if I EVER see a size 6 or 8 again (pretty thin for my build) I deserve to buy a whole new wardrobe! On the flip side, I never wanted to allow myself to be a size 14 or 16 again, so no sense keeping those around!

Well, I haven't ever seen size 6 or 8, but I'm okay with that. But, the reason I'm here is that my size 12s were getting too small. Time to make a positive change! Of course now I'm sort of stuck between sizes… I hate that. :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!