HRM - what's your choice?

Options
I am looking to purchase a HRM, but there are so many to choose from. I would love to know which ones you all have and what you like about it.

Replies

• fasttrack27
    Options
    Let me be the first of many that will recommend the Polar brand. Look for a model with the features for your needs, or just start with a basic one
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    Polar FT4. GREAT model, and can be had from Amazon for @$50.

Easy to use, shows zone, calories burned, and keeps training records.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it! I got this one because after a lot of research and comparing reviews, this was the one that had the best reviews....so I went with it.

Edit: The Polar FT4 is a little cheaper and just as good.
  • rsullivan
    rsullivan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I bought a Sportline from Walmart for $47 and I love it. It has a chest strap, but you can use it without it- as long as you take your own pulse readings. But I use the chest strap all the time, its comfy and gives me instant results. It shows calories burned, minutes below, in, and above your target zone. For the price of it I am really pleased with it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar is the best that you can buy... The FT4 and FT7 are really popular options.

Sportline is not a good brand in my opinion and over estimates caloires burned.
  • mom2nate08
    mom2nate08 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I got a Mio for Christmas last year and I have been pretty unhappy with it. I liked it becasue it didn't have the chest strap, but it is VERY inaccurate.

I think I will be investing in a Polar - the price is right and it seems to be the popular choice.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4, but there was a recent thread that suggested getting an actual calorie burner device instead of an HRM. I think it was called the BodyBugg or something like that. I sort of wish I had gone for the BodyBugg, because my primary concern is actual calories burned (which apparently the BodyBugg does better than an HRM). But I still love my Polar FT4, and from all the positive feedback on this forum, it is an excellent HRM.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Agree, Polars are awesome - I just love my FT4 (and the F6 I had before that). You really need a chest strap for it to be accurate.
  • o0oAliciao0o
    Options
    Does anyone find the chest strap itchy/chaffing or bras get in the way?
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    Does anyone find the chest strap itchy/chaffing or bras get in the way?

Not at all. My strap is usually under my bra, so it feels no different than my bra. I don't even notice it.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss I bought a "Body Bug." It was great and I got a really good idea of how many calories I burn when just hanging out around the house. But it's a little unrealistic to think you will wear that thing on your arm forever. :-) I now use a Timex HRM that shows calories burned so I can log it here and keep track of how much I can eat. Whichever one you choose I would recommend that it show you calorie info. And a chest strap is a must for it to be somewhat accurate.