continuous weight issue....

Options
I posted yesterday about my recent ups on the scale. When I checked in again today, I am now sitting at 191.6 where as on Sunday I was at 189.8 and yesterday I was at 190.4.

I know most will say "stop weighing yourself everyday" but this is something that I find hard to do because I'd like to see whats going on. So....what is going on? I know I had a heavy lunch yesterday so I skipped dinner. I have no idea what is going on.

Please help, this increase on the scale is driving me crazy!

Replies

• shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Down the water today - your lunch yesterday was *loaded* with sodium. I can swing as much as 3 or 4 full pounds with a sodium intake that others wouldn't consider too high.

Looking through your diary your sodium looks a bit high on Tuesday too so maybe that's it? You may not be able to eat all of the sodium that MFP "allows".

But - I'm certainly no expert either....
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    water, sodium, glycogen, poop. . . what's in your digestive tract right now. It all changes your day to day weight.

I weigh myself daily so that I am aware and in tune with those daily fluctuations; but I only record my weight on Friday mornings.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday as well. But I do this to establish a trend. A typical week for me goes like this- M- 132.5, T- 134.5, W-132, Th-131.5, F-131.5, no weekend weigh ins for me (no scale at home. I weigh at my work in the hospital). This week is girly time so I am a little heavier today. Lol. I weigh the most on Tuesdays EVERY single week. But I know this about myself so I do not take it to heart. I log on Thursdays. Get to know your body so that you don't freak out over nothing. :)
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    water, sodium, glycogen, poop. . . what's in your digestive tract right now. It all changes your day to day weight.

I weigh myself daily so that I am aware and in tune with those daily fluctuations; but I only record my weight on Friday mornings.

This exactly. I weigh myself every day as well and make a mental note about where I am in my daily cycles. I can gain 3 lbs in one day depending on what goes on, and lost it again overnight while my digestion system works magic.

After a few weeks you'll learn to expect small gains and small losses based on what day it is. Keep at the exercising and healthy eating, and the weight *will* come off. :)
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I see that the sodium issue is already covered. I was going to say that too.. Watch your labels and measure your food so you know how much of what you are actually consuming. I personally have to keep my sodium levels down around 600mg or less a day to prevent water retention and it can move me up around 2-4 lbs easily if I consume too much, and then it takes a few days to come off.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself at the same time every day? If you're going to weigh every day, try to keep the timing consistent. Personally, I weigh several times a week, but always first thing in the morning. Consistency is important!

And water, lots of it! :)
  • j99li
    j99li Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself at the same time every day? If you're going to weigh every day, try to keep the timing consistent. Personally, I weigh several times a week, but always first thing in the morning. Consistency is important!

And water, lots of it! :)

I weigh myself every morning after I go to the washroom so its pretty consistent :) I am definitely going to try and drink more water today.
  • j99li
    Options
    I am really running out of ideas. I didnt have much for dinner and I dont know how to cut back on the sodium :(

This weight thing is really getting me down. I am trying to get in my 8 cups today.

How long does it take for the "weight" due to sodium to come down? I feel like my metabolism is slowing down
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I am really running out of ideas. I didnt have much for dinner and I dont know how to cut back on the sodium :(

This weight thing is really getting me down. I am trying to get in my 8 cups today.

How long does it take for the "weight" due to sodium to come down? I feel like my metabolism is slowing down

What is in your salad? That is packed with Sodium. Also, your food choices...anything fried or breaded is going to be high in sodium. Make better choices in your food intake. Also. You seem to skip dinner often. Balance your meals. It could be that your body has adjusted to storing more at lunch to carry you through to the next day.
    If it continues, print off your diary and go see your doc. it could be medical.
  • j99li
    Options

What is in your salad? That is packed with Sodium. Also, your food choices...anything fried or breaded is going to be high in sodium. Make better choices in your food intake. Also. You seem to skip dinner often. Balance your meals. It could be that your body has adjusted to storing more at lunch to carry you through to the next day.
    If it continues, print off your diary and go see your doc. it could be medical.

In my salad, I get Romaine lettuce, grilled chicken, cucumber, red peppers, banana peppers and cranberries. I also get italian dressing. I skip dinner when I feel like I have had too much to eat for lunch and I feel too full to eat.

It is getting really frustrating now....
  • lradatz
    lradatz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My journey the last 2 1/2 yrs was 190 to 140... It's alot of what you eat, and calories in vs calories out... Try to have spurts of exercise here and there through out the day and switch up your exercise routine from strength training and cardio... I do Wii dance and The biggest loser for Wii. Be consistent and you will see results, it worked for me, it'll work for you too. And remember, you gain muscle from working out too, and it weighs more, so you might be stuck, until the weight(fat) comes off, this was my problem too. On the settings under food, you can track your sodium intake, just add it to one of the blank lines, along w you can change your names of what to track(breakfast, lunch, dinner)... Just a thought, best of luck to ya :smile:
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I can gain five pounds overnight if I have a really salty meal. Also alot of the 'stuff'' in processed food makes me retain water. It can take up to three days to get it off. Eight glasses of water is the minimum. My doctor said 1/2 oz for every pound. So eight glasses of water will be fine when I get passed my goal weight. In the meantime, I drink over 100 oz a day with minimal exercise and more if I am doing a lot of sweating.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options

You are going to have to give it a little time. Like everyone else, it takes me about three days to totally flush if I've had too much sodium. You might see a difference in your fingers, or in the little "dents' your socks might leave in your legs. Those are all of the places that I see it. Even if its not sodium, you can at least rule that out.

Sometimes this whole journey is like detective work until you really figure out what you body likes/doesn't like/reacts to. You'll be fine - keep with it and keep posting!
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

In my salad, I get Romaine lettuce, grilled chicken, cucumber, red peppers, banana peppers and cranberries. I also get italian dressing. I skip dinner when I feel like I have had too much to eat for lunch and I feel too full to eat.

It is getting really frustrating now....
    watch the banana peppers and grilled chicken. Anything processed and packed in a jar probably has a pretty high sodium content. The chicken kind of depends on whether it's the processed kind or just a grilled chicken breast cut up.

Eating as fresh as possible can really help lower sodium.