Endurance sports cause the body to break down muscle

Options
I read this article and got a shock when I read: "Endurance sports actually cause the body to break down overall muscle - even if your legs get stronger."

Just started week 3 of C25k. I am Not trying to lose muscle here, and haven't been able to add strength back in to my training schedule yet! Yikes!!

link: http://community.active.com/thread/78673

copy/pasted:

As January often signals the start of many a fitness / weight loss goal I though this may be a good time to clear up a few misconceptions about running and the C25k plan

1. The C25K is intended to get your body aclimated to the physical demands of running - it is not designed to get you fit or for weight loss

2. The plan has you doing about 20 - 30 mins of cardio 3 times a week - this is not anywhere close to enough to improve your fitness - this is why people continue to struggle with breathing though the program if they do nothing else - their fitness is not improving. To imrpove your cardio vascular fitness you need to engage in an activity that keeps your heart rate elevated for at least 40 mins at LEAST 3 times a week - better yet - 1 hour 5 - 6 times a week.

3. To lose 1lb of fat you need burn about 3500 calories - the plan in it`s final week burns about 1000 cals - it will take almost a month to burn off 1lb if all you do is the C25K - this is assuming of course you are not over eating - in which case you`ll just gain slighty less. If you want to lose weight there is not substitute - you HAVE to diet - if you want to keep it off - you have to change your eating habits.

4. If at the end of 4 weeks on the program you weight more you are NOT gaining muscle - you are eating too much. Yes muscle is denser than fat but it is VERY hard to gain 2 lbs of muscle - so unless you are on a high protien diet and lifting very heavy weights for 2 -3 hours a day - you need to look at you diet. Endurance sports actually cause the body to break down overall muscle - even if your legs get stronger.

5. Running is physically hard - as a activity to take up when trying to get fit / lighter when you have not been active up to this point - it is possibly the worse choice - you body physically can not handle sufficent time / distance to make a decent impact on either goal - ( see points 2 +3 ). You can spend longer biking, using the eliptical and walking - they will help prepare you body to run AND burn more calories.

6. The program is run for time OR distance - few new runners move at a 10 min mile pace - if you run it for time you are likely going to be covering more like 2 - 2.5 miles at the end not 3.

7. Yes you can - and should cross train on non running days ( see point 2 )

8. a good weight training program will be very benifical - hire a personal trainer

***************************************************************************************************************************

Point 7 I thought the point of non running days was to Rest and rebuild?

Point 8, yeah I'd love to but cant afford it

Replies

• megansmayhem
    megansmayhem Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am shocked that this won't improve your fitness. WOW.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I am shocked that this won't improve your fitness. WOW.

I find this hard to believe. As I "feel" fitter in just the 3 weeks. I AM doing other things in addition to C25k, and obviously watching my diet. I just wonder how to balance the "weight bearing" exercise in relation to my program
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Endurance sports will help increase your fitness, but will not necessarily help with strength...which is why you need to cross train. I started running last year with C25K while still doing some weight training, and I can honestly say I am way more fit than I have ever been in my life. I have a low resting heart rate, my BP is great and my stamina lasts longer than ever; but there was a couple of months where I focused mainly on running and not strength training and that set me back in the gym. I went back in expecting to pick up where I was before and found myself having to drop weights off.

Also, you will probably lose weight doing C25K and running if it is done with a proper diet. I had hit a wall in my weight loss until I started running last year and that kicked things into overdrive. I lost 10 pounds between March and September, lost another 55 between September to this past April, I do attribute that to running. But, at the same time, if you are not careful, with weight loss can come muscle loss; once again showing the need for weight training. In fact while everyone around me was concerned about my health due to dropping so much weight (for no reason other than being busy bodies), the guy who owns the gym I work out at pulled me aside and asked me about my strength if I had lost any.
    Not sure if this helps or not, or even relates, just what I got out of what you posted.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    What are their benchmarks for the fitness of the person at the beginning of the program? Some people won't get more fit because they are already at a point of fitness where this level of activity won't gain them more fitness. Others are not quite so fit and will gain fitness from this. Anything that starts stating always, all, none should get you doing more investigation on your own.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    8. a good weight training program will be very benifical - hire a personal trainer

***************************************************************************************************************************

Point 8, yeah I'd love to but cant afford it

You answered your own question. This guy is obviously trying to get people to hire personal trainers because easy to follow programs like C25K are preceived threats to their business. I would take his post as adverstising instead of actual advice.

C25K is an excellent program and helped imrpove my health imensly. I also do weight training. But if all you can afford with both time and money is Couch-2-5K. By all means keep doing it. It does improve your health. Will C25K do you any good once you can run a 5K? Of course not. You will have to move on to different challenges to improve your fitness. But your BS meter should peg out when someone makes a blanket statement like: "C25K won't improve your fitness".
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This is actually poorly worded and illustrated example, because no form of training will break muscle down, However a poor diet where you don't take in enough protein to allow your muscle to build and repair or if you don't have enough BCAA in your diet will lead to muscle lose, the body needs BCAA or Branch Chain Amino Acids to maintain muscle as well as a balanced diet which give the correct amount of protein,

Don't worry OP blogs and articles like this are full of crap, and as stated above are used to increase the health industry and personal trainers pockets :-D
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Ever seen a bulky marathoner (veteran runner)? Muscle is counter-productive to endurance efficiency, and makes a lovely fuel source when other fuels are lacking. Just like with lifting, you should follow-up a long run with a protein source.

Cross-training is a must if you don't want to be built like a runner.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but there is so much bad logic in this entire article I don't even know where to begin.

Overall I'll just say this: NO exercise will be good for weightloss if you don't eat properly. I can spend seven hours in the gym and still gain by eating crap.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Endurance distances yes break your body down. Its not uncommon to get sick, hurt etc during or after an endurance sport. However endurance is LONG..not c25k..and most of us after hitting an hr after running continusly or biking or swimming or whatever know what and how to hydrate or replensih what is needed.

The biggest problem with cardio junkies (which is ME) is that we are not cross trained properly. Yes I do triathlons and swim and bike and run..but I do not strength train, stretch etc..All my movement is forward not lateral. So core is weak and side hips are weak leading to alot of injuries.

I dont think that C25k is meant as a weight loss provider. I think it gets you out there moving..not eating..which is great for your heart and body. The true weight loss is calorie consumption
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    Ever seen a bulky marathoner (veteran runner)? Muscle is counter-productive to endurance efficiency, and makes a lovely fuel source when other fuels are lacking. Just like with lifting, you should follow-up a long run with a protein source.

What kinds of cross training and when should it be done?

Is it okay to add weights on run days? or Rest days? (as I thought I was supposed to be "resting" muscles)

Sorry if these sound stupid. I just want to figure the balance of it out
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think the article, not the OP, is a load of crap personally. If you run you are improving fitness and that is good enough for me. You do build muscle. I have proof in my legs where I have muscles that weren't there before. I don't think running long distances like marathons and such are good for you but things like the C25K (which I just finished) are great for improving fitness IMO. But I agree with needing to do something else in between the days you run and watching the diet of course.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here and I certainly don't want to attack the poster, but i disagree with many points, especially "2. The plan has you doing about 20 - 30 mins of cardio 3 times a week - this is not anywhere close to enough to improve your fitness - this is why people continue to struggle with breathing though the program if they do nothing else - their fitness is not improving. To imrpove your cardio vascular fitness you need to engage in an activity that keeps your heart rate elevated for at least 40 mins at LEAST 3 times a week - better yet - 1 hour 5 - 6 times a week. " This is not a fact. The fact is, even a 30 minute program 3-4 days a week can drastically improve your cardio fitness!

Sometimes you have to look no further than the poorly edited post to see that it wasn't well thought out and backed up by proper research.

Having said that, i do agree that cross training is important.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Is it okay to add weights on run days? or Rest days? (as I thought I was supposed to be "resting" muscles)

When I did C25K, my schedule was something like this:

Monday-30 DS
    Tuesday- Run
    Wednesday-30 DS
    Thursday- Run
    Friday-30 DS
    Saturday-Run
    Sunday-Rest
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    If you start out and do the program in its form starting from scratch you will be in better shape than having not done anything. Some of the points are valid. Granted it is not a overall weight loss program, but I know it is a good place to start.

You can find decent strength training other programs or online if you need that. You don't need to hire a PT. ALthough they are nice to have. You can incorporate the strength training into the rest/rebuild days while resting you legs, as well as cross training. Ellipiticals, bicycles, swimming, and flat our walking will only help you on your rest days.

I would think that the point number four is a wild *kitten* guess and has not scientific base. Unless of course the subject has little bodyfat, is consuming a very limited calorie intake, and is consistenly doing endurance training. I have seen people that all three conditions are being met and you can smell the muscle burning off of them. Smells like ammonia. I doubt that people that are starting the C25K are in that predicament
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Although the goal of running for 30 minutes at a stretch SEEMS like an impossibly long time when you're first getting started, I think lumping C25K into "endurance sports" is silly. No one's going to move into muscle-devouring mode while doing C25K, unless you're combining it with a starvation diet.

"The C25K is intended to get your body aclimated to the physical demands of running - it is not designed to get you fit or for weight loss". Hmmmm, seems like it would be hard to get acclimated to the physical demands of running without improving your fitness level over those nine or ten (or more) weeks.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options

Lift whenever you want to lift, just remember that running distance incorporates more of the slow twitch muscles. So you want to make your weight exercises higher reps with lower weights (consistent with endurance running). Do not avoid leg exercises. Running only incorporates select leg muscles, so you should do squats, deadlifts, and leg press exercises to build power and strength for all of your leg muscles. Plus, it will help make your joints stronger.

You should take a rest day. If you combine running with lifting, I would run first (either earlier in the day or earlier in your trip to the gym) if it is your priority workout. You don't want to try to run after doing squats. Your form will suffer, and you may not finish your run.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here and I certainly don't want to attack the poster, but i disagree with many points, especially "2. The plan has you doing about 20 - 30 mins of cardio 3 times a week - this is not anywhere close to enough to improve your fitness - this is why people continue to struggle with breathing though the program if they do nothing else - their fitness is not improving. To imrpove your cardio vascular fitness you need to engage in an activity that keeps your heart rate elevated for at least 40 mins at LEAST 3 times a week - better yet - 1 hour 5 - 6 times a week. " This is not a fact. The fact is, even a 30 minute program 3-4 days a week can drastically improve your cardio fitness!

Sometimes you have to look no further than the poorly edited post to see that it wasn't well thought out and backed up by proper research.

Having said that, i do agree that cross training is important.

No offense taken. I obviously do not agree with the article either. I just panicked because I cut strength training out when I started c25k.

Just trying to get ideas from people with experience

:flowerforyou:
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    Although the goal of running for 30 minutes at a stretch SEEMS like an impossibly long time when you're first getting started, I think lumping C25K into "endurance sports" is silly. No one's going to move into muscle-devouring mode while doing C25K, unless you're combining it with a starvation diet.

I agree. You don't run the risk of burning muscle for fuel until you hit around 60+ minutes of continuous running.
  • k8wilson
    k8wilson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Its not even an article... its someones rantings on a message board. Running will definitely improve your fitness level. Yes you do have to eat well to lose weight and weight training is very important, but pretty much the rest of the article is someone's opinion.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    Thank you for the replies every one

totally makes sense. good points. I feel smarter already