Endurance sports cause the body to break down muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Ever seen a bulky marathoner (veteran runner)? Muscle is counter-productive to endurance efficiency, and makes a lovely fuel source when other fuels are lacking. Just like with lifting, you should follow-up a long run with a protein source.

Cross-training is a must if you don't want to be built like a runner.

^^ This.

When you're running a marathon, your body gets to the point where glycogen stores are depleted (they call this the "runner's wall") and your body can and often will start breaking muscle down to use for energy. It's one of the reasons that proper hydration before, during, and after a marathon are so important. Without proper hydration, runners can end up with rhabdomyolysis, which could potentially kill you.

If you're only running 5Ks, though, you don't have to be built like a runner at all. Cross training is very important in helping build muscle, but runners can also do things like hill training and fartleks to help build strength and endurance. I really think that article was slanted to persuade people to hire personal trainers. You don't need a personal trainer, just a decent cross training program with some kind of weight training. The best weight training programs I have used all utilize body weight training (in the form of squats, lunges, etc.) and don't require a gym membership to do. :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I think the article, not the OP, is a load of crap personally. If you run you are improving fitness and that is good enough for me. You do build muscle. I have proof in my legs where I have muscles that weren't there before. I don't think running long distances like marathons and such are good for you but things like the C25K (which I just finished) are great for improving fitness IMO. But I agree with needing to do something else in between the days you run and watching the diet of course.

Burning fat to expose the muscle underneath is not the same as building new muscle. You don't build muscle by running, you build muscle by lifting heavy weights. It's two different types of training, and uses two different types of muscle fiber.

As for the article itself, it's crap. C25K is a fantastic program for getting into shape, and you can most certainly drastically improve your cardio fitness in 30 minutes, 3 times a week. In fact most studies have shown that doing much more than that doesn't really have much more improvement, at that point you're doing it for enjoyment, and not necessarily to get in shape.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    C25K is a fantastic program for getting into shape, and you can most certainly drastically improve your cardio fitness in 30 minutes, 3 times a week. In fact most studies have shown that doing much more than that doesn't really have much more improvement, at that point you're doing it for enjoyment, and not necessarily to get in shape.

I agree. I see my cardio fitness improving already.

but I am definitely doing this to get in shape, not because I enjoy running! :wink:
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think the article, not the OP, is a load of crap personally. If you run you are improving fitness and that is good enough for me. You do build muscle. I have proof in my legs where I have muscles that weren't there before. I don't think running long distances like marathons and such are good for you but things like the C25K (which I just finished) are great for improving fitness IMO. But I agree with needing to do something else in between the days you run and watching the diet of course.

Burning fat to expose the muscle underneath is not the same as building new muscle. You don't build muscle by running, you build muscle by lifting heavy weights. It's two different types of training, and uses two different types of muscle fiber.

As for the article itself, it's crap. C25K is a fantastic program for getting into shape, and you can most certainly drastically improve your cardio fitness in 30 minutes, 3 times a week. In fact most studies have shown that doing much more than that doesn't really have much more improvement, at that point you're doing it for enjoyment, and not necessarily to get in shape.

Running has actually helped me build muscle since I really didn't have any in my calves to begin with. I don't think it will do much more than it already has but it definitely did build some and not just burned the fat.

OP - here is an article I found that you may like to read. Just an interesting read I think.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Will-Running-Build-Muscle?&id=1249276
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Ever seen a bulky marathoner (veteran runner)? Muscle is counter-productive to endurance efficiency, and makes a lovely fuel source when other fuels are lacking. Just like with lifting, you should follow-up a long run with a protein source.

Cross-training is a must if you don't want to be built like a runner.

What kinds of cross training and when should it be done?

Is it okay to add weights on run days? or Rest days? (as I thought I was supposed to be "resting" muscles)

Sorry if these sound stupid. I just want to figure the balance of it out

Lift whenever you want to lift, just remember that running distance incorporates more of the slow twitch muscles. So you want to make your weight exercises higher reps with lower weights (consistent with endurance running). Do not avoid leg exercises. Running only incorporates select leg muscles, so you should do squats, deadlifts, and leg press exercises to build power and strength for all of your leg muscles. Plus, it will help make your joints stronger.

You should take a rest day. If you combine running with lifting, I would run first (either earlier in the day or earlier in your trip to the gym) if it is your priority workout. You don't want to try to run after doing squats. Your form will suffer, and you may not finish your run.

I sometimes combine my training with running - I generally do personal training right after work 2x a week and some days that ends up being my C25k day so I go home, eat dinner, and then run after that. So far it has been fine but I think that is because I was doing the strength training long before i started running, so unless I add a lot of weight to my squats and lunges I'm generally fine to run afterwards. Squats are quite different than running, at least for me.

OP:
    If you want to start slow, use your off days to do some bodyweight exercises like pushups, planks, squats, lunges. If you are weak these are very good even without adding any weight - you can add hand weights later (just hold them while you do the squats and lunges). There are a LOT of variation on those and if you do have some basic equipment (exercise ball, some hand weights) you can add a few more simple exercises and have a really good workout.

I actually like to dance on my off-running days (Dance Central anyway) -- it does use your legs but it uses them in a very different way so I find that really effective, plus there's a lot more side to side motion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Running has actually helped me build muscle since I really didn't have any in my calves to begin with. I don't think it will do much more than it already has but it definitely did build some and not just burned the fat.

OP - here is an article I found that you may like to read. Just an interesting read I think.
    It's practically impossible to build muscle on a calorie deficit diet. There have been several peer reviewed studies to back this up.
    You calves may be more conditioned and "fuller" because of glycogen storage, but building muscle takes calorie surplus.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options

great article Thanks! I like this "Running is a very healthy cardiovascular exercise. The act of running increases blood flow, which stimulates the heart. Running also increases the amount of catabolic hormones released into your system. Catabolic hormones will actually cause you to lose weight, as well as muscle mass."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1249276
  • fakeplastictree
    Options

It's practically impossible to build muscle on a calorie deficit diet. There have been several peer reviewed studies to back this up.
    You calves may be more conditioned and "fuller" because of glycogen storage, but building muscle takes calorie surplus.

I think I'm using the wrong term, Strengthening is probably the word I'm looking for or "fuller" as you say. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My take on this is just doing "one" activity like running doesn't make you fitter overall. Your endurance will get better, but does that mean you can do a push up or pull up because of all that running? Or if you're a really good lifter, that you can run a mile without getting winded?
    Most people who are really fit are good at strength, endurance, speed and agility in the overall body.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options

at this point I am looking to "shift" body weight. I want fuller muscles and less fat.

doesn't the body use fat as fuel when in calorie deficit?
  • fakeplastictree
    Options

at this point I am looking to "shift" body weight. I want fuller muscles and less fat.

from what I read in that article my understanding is that you use fat as fuel but when you get your body to a certain point like the release of the Catabolic Hormone then you risk muscle burn if you don't fuel correctly before and after.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options

from what I read in that article my understanding is that you use fat as fuel but when you get your body to a certain point like the release of the Catabolic Hormone then you risk muscle burn if you don't fuel correctly before and after.

...which is more likely after 30 min continuous aerobic exercise

got it! :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Yes, as long as your keeping the muscle conditioned and supply protein to maintain it and spare it. But you don't build muscle if you are in calorie deficit.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options

Yes, as long as your keeping the muscle conditioned and supply protein to maintain it and spare it. But you don't build muscle if you are in calorie deficit.

Can you improve muscle tone while in calorie deficit? (my gut says yes, obviously)
  • fakeplastictree
    Options
    [/quote]

Can you improve muscle tone while in calorie deficit? (my gut says yes, obviously)
    [/quote]

Oo, Oo I know this one....YES!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here and I certainly don't want to attack the poster, but i disagree with many points, especially "2. The plan has you doing about 20 - 30 mins of cardio 3 times a week - this is not anywhere close to enough to improve your fitness - this is why people continue to struggle with breathing though the program if they do nothing else - their fitness is not improving. To imrpove your cardio vascular fitness you need to engage in an activity that keeps your heart rate elevated for at least 40 mins at LEAST 3 times a week - better yet - 1 hour 5 - 6 times a week. " This is not a fact. The fact is, even a 30 minute program 3-4 days a week can drastically improve your cardio fitness!

Sometimes you have to look no further than the poorly edited post to see that it wasn't well thought out and backed up by proper research.

Having said that, i do agree that cross training is important.

No offense taken. I obviously do not agree with the article either. I just panicked because I cut strength training out when I started c25k.

Just trying to get ideas from people with experience

:flowerforyou:

My experience is.. its very difficult to balance that much running, but it can be done.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here and I certainly don't want to attack the poster, but i disagree with many points, especially "2. The plan has you doing about 20 - 30 mins of cardio 3 times a week - this is not anywhere close to enough to improve your fitness - this is why people continue to struggle with breathing though the program if they do nothing else - their fitness is not improving. To imrpove your cardio vascular fitness you need to engage in an activity that keeps your heart rate elevated for at least 40 mins at LEAST 3 times a week - better yet - 1 hour 5 - 6 times a week. " This is not a fact. The fact is, even a 30 minute program 3-4 days a week can drastically improve your cardio fitness!

Sometimes you have to look no further than the poorly edited post to see that it wasn't well thought out and backed up by proper research.

Having said that, i do agree that cross training is important.

No offense taken. I obviously do not agree with the article either. I just panicked because I cut strength training out when I started c25k.

Just trying to get ideas from people with experience

:flowerforyou:

My experience is.. its very difficult to balance that much running, but it can be done.

It's all about the balance
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Although the goal of running for 30 minutes at a stretch SEEMS like an impossibly long time when you're first getting started, I think lumping C25K into "endurance sports" is silly. No one's going to move into muscle-devouring mode while doing C25K, unless you're combining it with a starvation diet.

I agree. You don't run the risk of burning muscle for fuel until you hit around 60+ minutes of continuous running.

And even then it makes no difference since A) the amount of "muscle" (bad term but I'll use it for now) burned is very small and B) it is easily replenished with your normal diet.

NOTHING that happens physiologically during an acute exercise session is permanent--exercise results in temporary responses that are reversed once the workout is over. Chronic training adaptations are more "lasting".

The idea that "cardio exercise burns muscle" is one of the dumbest cliches I have heard in the last 5 years (with the exception of "muscle confusion").

It's like saying that "cardio exercise causes death from starvation", because doing cardio exercise burns a lot of calories. That would be true, BUT ONLY IF YOU NEVER ATE AGAIN AFTER WORKING OUT.

The same is true for "muscle burning".