Running

Options
Hello Everyone. I need some advice. I started Running back in April and asolutely love it! I have ran in Several 5k's throughout the summer and fall. Initially I lost 12 pounds. Started at 136 and was down to 124 in June. But Throughout August and September the pounds just rolled back on! Now I am back to 133! UGGH! I have been doing the same things as far as exercising goes. I run 3 to 4 miles 5 to 6 times a week, and lift weights. I was on a very strict diet back at the beginning of the summer, but slowly started introducing more foods to my diet thinking that with my exercise level I could maintain, but apparently not! I have heard from a number of people that if you do the same cardio exercise for too long, your body gets too used to it and you stop burning as many calories from it... So my question is what do I do know??? I don't want to stop running. I love it and I want to continue to do 5k and 10k's throughout the entire year. I am so afraid that if I stop running and start doing more eliptical or other cardio, I will lose my running endurance fast and don't want this to happen! I also Have 2 little girls who are constantly eating candy and wanting cookies and sweets at home and while I know it is not the right thing to indulge with them everyday, I would love to have a sweet once in awhile with them withought feeling so guilty! HELP! I want some advice or any new exercise tips that could help me rev up my metabolism and boost my calorie burning level! I want to be back down to 124! Ideally 120!! Please help!

Replies

• atomicpunk1974
    Options
    I'm a runner too, and for me it helps to keep working on increasing my speed and my distance so that my body does not get too used to my runs. It can also help to do different kinds of runs. Some days I do short fast hilly runs, and other days I do long slow flat runs. They work my body in different ways.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need to re evaluate your diet! I would not stop running.....maybe eat clean, increase your protein and drink lots of water!

Good luck!
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Not true whatsoever that doing the same cardio will eventually result in the burning of less calories. To be honest the weight gain was simply from food, one thing I always say is, no amount of exercise can offset a bad diet. Not saying you have a bad diet just trying to make the point that just because you're doing extra cardio thinking it will offset the extra calories really isn't true. You can have sweets once a day if you'd like but you need to make adjustments in other areas of your diet in order to do so.
  • bhoochy
    bhoochy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    try doing HIIT training a couple of days a week. it will improve your bodies ability to push harder and you won't get stuck in a rut bc you are constantly challenging your body!!!
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    Our bodies become conditioned to do what we do in repetitions; have to mix it up and change from the daily routine. My PT shared this with me . . . I was doing the same thing over and over and stopped losing weight. Once I changed the routine I was back on track of losing the weight.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    food/drink (nutrition) is 80% of the fat loss equation. you cannot out train bad eating. sure, if you start burning more calories from exercise, you can eat a little more.

as far as whether you need to switch up, that's your call. it probably wouldn't hurt to do a handful (3-6) of 100 yard sprints a couple days a week.
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I too started running earlier this year and love it to. I would maybe try increasing your distanceor adding some hills to your routine. How about possibly adding in some cross training every other day? Maybe throwing something different in might also help things move along. I have a problem with indulging my sweet tooth a little too much too. Maybe instead of having a treat everyday how bout just a couple times a week. Hope these ideas will help =)
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Not true whatsoever that doing the same cardio will eventually result in the burning of less calories. To be honest the weight gain was simply from food, one thing I always say is, no amount of exercise can offset a bad diet. Not saying you have a bad diet just trying to make the point that just because you're doing extra cardio thinking it will offset the extra calories really isn't true. You can have sweets once a day if you'd like but you need to make adjustments in other areas of your diet in order to do so.

Yes, you CAN burn less calories over time doing the same thing. When you start a new exercise program, your body responds because it is required to make numerous changes to adjust to different workloads. So, your muscles are rebuilding themselves and this consumes all kinds of calories. But, at some point your body will stop adapting to the new workload and, as a result, you burn less calories for the same activities.

Solution:
    Don't let your body get used to the exercise. Maintain your body's adaptation period by changing the intensity, duration, frequency and/or the mode of exercise and include interval training if necessary.

Also there have been stories about people who lost weight eating nothing but junk. They're not healthy -- but I would say that you can exercise off a bad diet. To a point.
  • Arice022472
    Options
    Hello,

Keep in mind that by lifting weights you are building lean muscle and that would increase your weight some. Additionally I found that my body craved more calories when I lifted and ran but if you stick to a basic BMR for your size and keep the calories within the limit you should be able to manage your weight. I agree with the statement to push your running so your body has to adjust and would also suggest changing your lifting routine every other month. Take a spin classs or some other form of cardio training outside of running, try a few until you find one that you enjoy like running.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options

This is correct. You gain massive amounts of calories back from exercise. Remember, quality over quantity. Also, you are working out a lot. You may need to incorporate an extra rest day to give your body time to recoup. As I've mentioned to others, I was stuck at a plateau for an entire month. My weight remained unchanged until I took 4 days off.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Actually, this IS true. As you become more fit you don't burn as many calories doing the same exercise. In addition, our bodies become used to the level of effort we're expending, which is why switching up exercise routines will often help break a weight loss plateau.

Have you tried running MORE? I also started running in April and have been increasing my distance the entire time. This past weekend I ran 8 miles. Next weekend I will do 6 and the weekend after will be 8.5. I run from 3-5 miles during the week for my short runs. I'm working my way up to a half marathon in January.

Also, as long as you are doing some form of cardio between runs, you aren't going to lose your running conditioning. I personally know a few runners who (and have seen other runners on this site state that they) only run one day per week. They do biking or swimming or Zumba or whatever during the week and just have one long 10+ miles training run on the weekend. It doesn't seem to harm their running ability whatsoever.
  • gobamagrl
    gobamagrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    To be honest the weight gain was simply from food, one thing I always say is, no amount of exercise can offset a bad diet.

I TOTALLY agree with this statement! I also understand that it's difficult to stay on track when you have kids; however when I became a single mother, with limited income, I decided to quit buying sweets and junk food altogether. I've tried to incorporate healthy eating as a household with better options. Why not teach your children at a young age to make better choices? My daughter isn't deprived by any means. She still enjoys a cupcake from our local bakery every now and then, or on occasion, I will let her get Oreos or something, but she actually prefers sliced apples, grapes, or bananas over cookies and snack type foods.
    I think that once you get a little more control over that aspect of the situation, it will be much easier to make healthy choices for yourself. Once your diet gets a little more clean, you will most likely see those few lbs fall off. Good Luck!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Try to add some speed intervals/fartlek runs or even long runs (6+ miles) to your schedule and see if that helps. And also re-evaluate your food choices.
  • jvincent08
    jvincent08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was running up to 6 miles during the summer when it was nice outside, but now that the weather has changed and I am doing a majority of my running on the treadmill, I get too bored! 4 miles is about all I can hack! ha! I guess I need to start a good movie or something while i am doing it! Awesome that you are doing a half marathon! That is my goal for next summer! Way to go!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    As a runner, it may help for you and may not but I usually stick to the Hal Higdon's Training program (which I need to start doing again):

Monday - Stretches and Strengthen
    Tuesday - Running
    Wednesday - Cross Train (I like bicycling, pushups, situps) or Light Running
    Thursday - Running + Strengthen
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - Cross Training (anything other than running)
    Sunday - Longer Distance Running

Rinse and repeat.

The cross training and weight lifting keeps you from getting bored.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I also Have 2 little girls who are constantly eating candy and wanting cookies and sweets at home and while I know it is not the right thing to indulge with them everyday, I would love to have a sweet once in awhile with them withought feeling so guilty! HELP! I want some advice or any new exercise tips that could help me rev up my metabolism and boost my calorie burning level! I want to be back down to 124! Ideally 120!! Please help!
    I meant to respond to this portion and got interrupted. :)

You are the mom. If you don't buy sweets, they won't be eating them. Honestly, I think you and they would be better off by having you remove them from the house completely. You are setting them up for a lifetime of eating that way because they think it's okay to do so. Buy fruit and other healthy treats instead. They may complain at first, but over time it'll be "normal" for them to eat these treats instead of cookies and candy. If they aren't in the house, you can't be tempted by them, either.

I'm not saying it's wrong to eat sweets, but we all know it shouldn't be done on a regular basis. Take them out for the occasional ice cream or buy them a small piece of candy when you're out shopping, but get the junk food out of the house and remove it as a staple from their, and your, diet. You'll all be healthier for it.
  • jvincent08
    jvincent08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know! I let my kids eat terrible! And it doesn't help me one bit! Thanks for the advice on trying to make my home a healthier environment for them, by getting rid of the sweets. I do usuallly have plenty of fruits on hand, but we love to bake together, so there is almost always cookies in the cookie jar:) Ha! Oh boy! It is totally how I grew up, too. My mom always had whatever kind of junk food and pop we could imagine in the house! I guess I am following in her footsteps!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Ugh, you could be MFP twin I swear! I started out in January with going to zumba classes weighing in at 135. Then I began running in May and dropped down to 121 by July. Now I have gained about 3 or 4 lbs. since I switched to the maintain weight mode on here. But, like you have done, I have started eating some cookies and sweets. I got a little lax on watching what I eat. I also noticed on my runkeeper that I have been running less the past 2 months than I did thoughout the summer. Just gotta buckle down now and get back on the wagon before the holidays hit!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I know! I let my kids eat terrible! And it doesn't help me one bit! Thanks for the advice on trying to make my home a healthier environment for them, by getting rid of the sweets. I do usuallly have plenty of fruits on hand, but we love to bake together, so there is almost always cookies in the cookie jar:) Ha! Oh boy! It is totally how I grew up, too. My mom always had whatever kind of junk food and pop we could imagine in the house! I guess I am following in her footsteps!
    Do some internet searching on healthier things to bake. Baking together is a great activity and it makes good memories, as well as teaching your kids valuable skills they'll use their whole lives. Find some great new low-fat, low calorie recipes and use it as a teaching tool for your kids so they learn that healthy food can still taste really good. Alternatively, have them help you make meals instead of treats. You'll still get the experience of cooking together without the end result being sweets sitting around waiting to be eaten. If they're old enough, get them involved in picking out the menu. I guarantee they'll enjoy their dinner more when they've helped make it and they'll take away so much when they realize that what they are eating not only tastes good but is good for them.
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    First off let me say, you look great being a mother of 2 young girls.

But you've gained 12 pounds in 2 months while running 20 miles/week. You're eating too much.

I've found that when I'm running alot I feel hungry all the time. Getting back to the basics helps me maintain my weight. 3 meals a day and sensable snacks to hold me over are the key. And sometimes you just have to deal with being hungry. Being a running doesn't afford me the right to eat what I want, when I want.

Are you a stay at home mom? If I stayed home all day I think I would eat more.

I feel your pain regarding the 'dread'mill. 4 miles is all any sain person can tolerate in one sitting. Adjust the incline to at least 1 degree to increase the effort and calorie burn while not increasing the time involved. The eliptical is good too but make sure you have adequate resistance. Otherwise you are using inertia instead of your muscles. Have you tried spinning? It's low impact and brutally difficult but the results are great. You will be exhausted when you are done.

Best of luck!