What do you think about this

Options
People are always talking about there is no quick fix for weight loss and then AOL wants to run this story. I feel like it is going to send the wrong message.

http://www.aolhealth.com/diet/men-fitness/burrito-diet?icid=main|hp-laptop|dl3|link2|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolhealth.com%2Fdiet%2Fmen-fitness%2Fburrito-diet

Replies

• stimpy6298
    Options
    People are always talking about there is no quick fix for weight loss and then AOL wants to run this story. I feel like it is going to send the wrong message.

http://www.aolhealth.com/diet/men-fitness/burrito-diet?icid=main|hp-laptop|dl3|link2|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolhealth.com%2Fdiet%2Fmen-fitness%2Fburrito-diet
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with what he ate. He's not telling people to go to Taco Bell or Del Taco and have a bean burritto every day. Did you actually read the article??

"Today, at a healthy 220 pounds, Matt continues to use burritos as part of his weight maintenance plan, but now he lets himself eat what he wants in moderation. "I think it's important for people to understand the diet isn't about going to Taco Bell three times a day," Matt explains. "It's nutrition basics -- eating the right thing, in the right portion and feeling full."

He's using high fiber tortillas and filling them with healthy foods. They're basically wraps. Great for portion control because once it's gone you're done!
  • stimpy6298
    Options
    Yes, I did read the article and I feel like people are gonna expect miracles from the "buritto diet" just like the "cabbage diet" or any other so called diet. I still feel that people don't need to eat a certain food to lose weight just healthier foods and in moderation.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Yes, I did read the article and I feel like people are gonna expect miracles from the "buritto diet" just like the "cabbage diet" or any other so called diet. I still feel that people don't need to eat a certain food to lose weight just healthier foods and in moderation.

thats why that level of stupidity gives much creedence to the theory of national selection.

by the way..this is just another Subway diet gimmick.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I eat home made chicken noodle soup every day for lunch and sometimes for dinner so I guess I'm on the chicken noodle soup diet. Is that bad? No. Does it work for me? Yes.

I promise you that there are a TON of people on here that eat a certain thing EVERY DAY because it works. It's no different than that.

Everyone has something that works for them. A lot of people are still searching for that thing as well and are open to new suggestions. Maybe people have never thought of using wraps before. He's not saying it's a new miracle diet. It just works for him.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I still feel that people don't need to eat a certain food to lose weight just healthier foods and in moderation.

He straight up says in the article that it's good foods in moderation.
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    I don't really get the same take on that article as you do. I think it was a really good idea that he had. While I think it's nice that he's sharing his ideas, I don't necessarily agree with dubbing it "burrito diet" so that people will be drawn to it for a quick fix. But it was a really great idea to use a healthy tortilla as a built-in portion control. Losing weight is all about calories in versus calories out, as you know. As long as you're doing it in a healthy way, what difference does it make how exactly you do it? I will agree with you that people will probably look to it as a miracle diet, depending on how it is marketed... It's just that some people need rules that are more strict to keep them on the right track, rather than eating "healthier foods in moderation." I, for one, need boundaries. I've tried to eat in moderation before, and I've found that, without limits, for right now at least, I'm just kidding myself.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    maybe it's badly named, but what he did was right.

People can draw the wrong conclusions from almost anything. IMHO, if someone's looking for a quick fix, they aren't in the right place emotionally to change to a healthy lifestyle anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    well its no more misleading or misinformative then labeling everything "Low-Fat" when everyone just goes out and buys low-fat stuff...then eats like triple servings to feel full. Great, you ate a bunch of low-fat stuff....but you just tripled your servings as opposed to eating one serving of something not low fat.
    I mean, you either know what your doing and it works...or your just wasting your time. Like alot of people who give up on dieting and working out. Because they didn't mentally want to succeed in the first place. People looking for gimmicks, magic pills aren't ready to do what is necessary....thats making life change. Or atleast a good attempt. Hey, newflash... working out requires SWEAT!! How many people I see at the gym everyday...with the treadmil and elyptical set on 2.3. Walking like my grandma, watching American Idol. Get off in 30 minutes and go home. Dood, gym suckers.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    maybe it's badly named, but what he did was right.

People can draw the wrong conclusions from almost anything. IMHO, if someone's looking for a quick fix, they aren't in the right place emotionally to change to a healthy lifestyle anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

WORD.:drinker:
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I eat home made chicken noodle soup every day for lunch and sometimes for dinner so I guess I'm on the chicken noodle soup diet. Is that bad? No. Does it work for me? Yes.

I promise you that there are a TON of people on here that eat a certain thing EVERY DAY because it works. It's no different than that.

Everyone has something that works for them. A lot of people are still searching for that thing as well and are open to new suggestions. Maybe people have never thought of using wraps before. He's not saying it's a new miracle diet. It just works for him.

i completely back you up!
  • RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    SHBoss and Iceprincess, I'm with you guys! :wink:
    I don't think it makes a person not want it as much if they need to set stricter boundaries for themselves in order to succeed. And as for schlepping on the treadmill at 2.3, I have a real problem with anyone judging what someone else is doing gym-wise. There's just way too much going on in a person's life to look at them and assume that you know what the real deal is with them. I say good that they're going to the gym at all. And if they're not pushing themselves, then you know they won't see results. But everyone doesn't know everything they need to about losing weight. And yes, some people just aren't ready. But you can't just assume they're lazy or something. Sheesh! :ohwell:
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with what he did? He ate good healthy foods, and he wrapped it up in a healthy tortilla to help controll his portion. I don't see what's wrong with that.
    It may be poorly named, but his idea was great!

180588.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    SHBoss and Iceprincess, I'm with you guys! :wink:
    I don't think it makes a person not want it as much if they need to set stricter boundaries for themselves in order to succeed. And as for schlepping on the treadmill at 2.3, I have a real problem with anyone judging what someone else is doing gym-wise. There's just way too much going on in a person's life to look at them and assume that you know what the real deal is with them. I say good that they're going to the gym at all. And if they're not pushing themselves, then you know they won't see results. But everyone doesn't know everything they need to about losing weight. And yes, some people just aren't ready. But you can't just assume they're lazy or something. Sheesh! :ohwell:

What she said. And as far as working out, it is far better to start slowly, and build up tolerance and stamina. You are more likely to stay with it if you aren't miserable, and less likely to get injured. All fitness plans start at low intensity and work to higher intensity as fitness progress is made. I naturally try to do more the longer I stay with it.

Plus some people have physical limitations that prevent them from strenuous activity. Just a thought.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

What she said. And as far as working out, it is far better to start slowly, and build up tolerance and stamina. You are more likely to stay with it if you aren't miserable, and less likely to get injured. All fitness plans start at low intensity and work to higher intensity as fitness progress is made. I naturally try to do more the longer I stay with it.

Plus some people have physical limitations that prevent them from strenuous activity. Just a thought.

Bahhhhh, you wuss.:wink:

Just kiddin lady! :flowerforyou:
  • ckroys
    ckroys Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think the idea behind it is right - good portions of healthy foods. The title "burrito diet" probably is giving people the wrong idea, but on the other hand, maybe it will get more people to read it (ie: people looking for "easy fixes"). And, if they read all the way through they'll find out that making healthy food isn't that hard and can still taste good. Maybe more people will be more apt to give this a try if they don't feel like they're depriving themselves.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options

Bahhhhh, you wuss.:wink:

Just kiddin lady! :flowerforyou:

:angry: :wink: