Planet fitness members

Options
13»

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I really like it. It has enough strength training for me. I mean I lift heavy for a woman I can't squat more than like 70 lbs anyway (35 lb dumbell in each hand).
    I never heard the average people bit. Mine said they are focused on fitness and not catering to bodybuilders and that was all that was said. If you are looking for really heavy weights then this isn't the gym for you. Every gym is different anyway. Well it is sad that people can't get up and walk to places or ride bikes. I think the suburbs started that. I live in the city, I ride my bike or walk to places that are close. You can't do that outside the city, no sidewalks, no place to ride your bike on the roads to places. But gyms have been around for awhile now. They used to be all about weight training but branched out to cardio equipment.
    There all different types of people at mine. People who are fit or those trying to get in shape, young and old. It is actually a great mix of people. I just go in and do my thing nobody bothers me.
    The no childcare part doesn't bother me, it would be nice but I go to the gym while my kids are at school. Not sure what to do when summer comes.
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    They really don't do anything about it I don't think, unless you do act like a complete tool. I've gotten lunk alarmed a few times, but all I do is look at the general direction of the front desk and chuckle, and then continue my workout. Given, I'm not lifting nearly as heavy as some, but I really don't give a **** about what they say, because if they really want me to, I can find another gym.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    And the reason they don't condone weight dropping or grunting is because these are intimidating actions that are completely unnecessary. They focus more on general fitness as opposed to bodybuilding and weight dropping, which is a completely diff concept than most gyms and for the average person, more comfortable.

Grunting and dropping are intimidating noises?

Um. Okay.

I went to PF for one day with a friend and I will NEVER, EVER step foot in there again. I found it to be too crowded and too noisy. Add in the fact that the "guys" using the Smith Machine spent more time laying across it pretending to flex their muscles than working out (and they wouldn't move on so someone else could use it either).

I go to a gym that allows muscle shirts, grunting, weight dropping and where I can do squats and bench presses without the Smith Machine. May cost me a little more, but it is worth it to me.
  • Schwiggs
    Options
    And the reason they don't condone weight dropping or grunting is because these are intimidating actions that are completely unnecessary. They focus more on general fitness as opposed to bodybuilding and weight dropping, which is a completely diff concept than most gyms and for the average person, more comfortable.

Advertise somewhere else please.
  • irishkiss
    irishkiss Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just joined pf and I really like it. To each his/her own I guess.
  • MikeDailyIntake
    Options
    I'm gonna get heat for this one, but...

I absolutely refuse to belong to a gym where:

1. They don't have dumbells above 60lbs.
    2. They cut the bars on the leg press machine so you could only fit 3 plates on each side.
    3. You can't make lifting noises.
    4. You can't wear a muscle shirt.
    5. You can't drop the weights.

I agree with this guy, you can't build REAL muscle at that place and if you grunt, you get kicked out..
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I am rather liking the "no dropping the weight" rule. I am hardly intimidated by it, however, if I owned a gym and spent thousands of dollars on equipment, yeah, I'd be a little pissed if someone kept dropping my thousand dollar toys.

I started out in a normal gym where weight dropping and grunting are perfectly fine, but my trainer trained me to respect the iron in my hands and the power of the weight. If you are dropping the weight, it is too heavy for you. It is more "manly" to admit the weight is too heavy than to have a slipped disk, out of place elbow, or a full blown hernia.
  • Schwiggs
    Options
    I have to admit, I am rather liking the "no dropping the weight" rule. I am hardly intimidated by it, however, if I owned a gym and spent thousands of dollars on equipment, yeah, I'd be a little pissed if someone kept dropping my thousand dollar toys.

I started out in a normal gym where weight dropping and grunting are perfectly fine, but my trainer trained me to respect the iron in my hands and the power of the weight. If you are dropping the weight, it is too heavy for you. It is more "manly" to admit the weight is too heavy than to have a slipped disk, out of place elbow, or a full blown hernia.

Please look at above comments to see some examples of how this might not be true. Also, if you're doing high weight/low reps your last rep it usually to failure, which sometimes means you can't daintily set down the weights. Also, most of the free weight equipment is designed to be durable because it's expected that they're going to hit the ground.
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sure, weights are made to withstand dropping. If your arm gives out or you have a bad grip and you have to let go quickly... sure. However, I have seen guys actually throw down the weight, tossing it, etc. Either the rep didn't go right or they had a bad day and are dropping dumb bells just to do so. THAT is annoying.
  • GRINWITHIN
    GRINWITHIN Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My question is ... what are the pros/cons of PF? Do they really teach you how to use the equipment without charging hidden fees and teach you the basics to get the ball rolling? I get it that it's not a "real gym" because of the rules on grunting and properly breathing, etc.

I know nothing about lifting weights or gym equipment other than a treadmill or bike. PF claims they have daily training sessions that teach the basics at no extra cost which is why I was considering checking them out.

I really have become the EA Sports/Slim In Six fanatic with my "virtual trainers" showing me the ropes and I do make some noises and tend to curse the TV during the extreme squats :D

I joined another gym a few years back and made it clear I was on a tight budget and could not afford a personal trainer. What brought me in the door was the promise of 2 training sessions included in the premium membership of $40 a month which I could handle. After I joined and had the first session, I was hit with a sales pitch that started with a fee of $2,000 a month and dropped to $600 a month in addition to that $40 a month. When I said it wasn't in the budget, I became a second class citizen and was stuck trying figure out stuff on my own which did not go so well. I actually wound up doing some damage that put me in physical therapy.

I don't want a repeat of that last gym experience in my effort to get healthy and fit.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    My question is ... what are the pros/cons of PF? Do they really teach you how to use the equipment without charging hidden fees and teach you the basics to get the ball rolling? I get it that it's not a "real gym" because of the rules on grunting and properly breathing, etc.

I know nothing about lifting weights or gym equipment other than a treadmill or bike. PF claims they have daily training sessions that teach the basics at no extra cost which is why I was considering checking them out.

I really have become the EA Sports/Slim In Six fanatic with my "virtual trainers" showing me the ropes and I do make some noises and tend to curse the TV during the extreme squats :D

I joined another gym a few years back and made it clear I was on a tight budget and could not afford a personal trainer. What brought me in the door was the promise of 2 training sessions included in the premium membership of $40 a month which I could handle. After I joined and had the first session, I was hit with a sales pitch that started with a fee of $2,000 a month and dropped to $600 a month in addition to that $40 a month. When I said it wasn't in the budget, I became a second class citizen and was stuck trying figure out stuff on my own which did not go so well. I actually wound up doing some damage that put me in physical therapy.

I don't want a repeat of that last gym experience in my effort to get healthy and fit.

I just signed up today and used the club for the first time. There is a trainer on site every day. They gave me a copy of the schedule. He does individual sessions at points during the day, the rest of each day he does 30 minute classes (max 5 people) that focus on a particular body group (I.e. chest, legs, abs). It's totally free and it is the opportunity to have a trainer show you how to use the machines and give you an exercise plan. You can get a custom plan if you meet with the trainer for an individual session.

So far what I've seen of PF makes me happy. Plenty of free weights (BB up to 75 lbs, plenty of 45's for the barbells and smith machines), no one had any problem with my muscle shirt, and there were plenty of ripped guys doing heavy lifting without a hassle. I chose PF for their selection of equipment (the place is HUGE), the price and the hours. Personally I think it's a great facility and I'm glad to not have the annoyance of the guys who get off making as much of a ruckus as possible while lifting. I do lift to failure but always work without a spotter. I've never had an issue with not being able to put the weight down properly (although admittedly I don't dead lift). I do grunt when I lift but I don't grunt so half the gym hears me. So far no one had a problem with that. I guess if you need to consistently drop weights to the floor then This isn't the gym for you. Personally, my first impression was exceptionally positive.
  • Snlong074
    Snlong074 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been trying to figure that out too
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna get heat for this one, but...

I absolutely refuse to belong to a gym where:

1. They don't have dumbells above 60lbs.
    2. They cut the bars on the leg press machine so you could only fit 3 plates on each side.
    3. You can't make lifting noises.
    4. You can't wear a muscle shirt.
    5. You can't drop the weights.

some of them cut the leg press machines???? lofl. thats awful.
    the one i joined has DBs up to 75, and I get away with my cutoff shirts.
    but a friend of mine was lifting one day, and dropped 25s from seriously, maybe 5 inches off the floor, and was lunk alarmed.
    it's pretty ridiculous.

My issue is the stupid alarms.
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    * > Planet Fitness
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    PLANET FITNESS???
    is this like MARS, JUPITER????
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my PF. I have been going since April. The 27 pounds I lost LOVES PF too. Now I agree that it is not for everyone. I had a girl roll her eyes at me yesterday. When I came out of the shower an said excuse me to get in the locker room. I gave her my look of death..so that stopped that **** right then and there.

There are all shapes and ages at my gym. I have talked to a few of the younger girls and one older woman. I have seen people there my size and smaller. There is a few even over the 300 to 400 pound mark. Proud of them for doing their thing.

Yep have a trainer and we sat down. He made me a plan. He also showed me how to use the ab machines. I have yet to take classes but that is coming soon.

They are clean and even one of the front desk girls knows my name. I told her that really made my day when she told me that. It meant I was doing something right.

Now I went to another place for some yoga classes. I went one time. Everyone was rude. I even told the owner I won't be back. I am at a place in my weight loss where I will not deal with condosending people. I spent to long feeling bad about myself. To allow anyone to push me back there.

A lot of people don't like PF. That is fine -- don't go. More room for me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Holy two year old topic...