Scared of getting bed bugs

Options
Improvised
Improvised Posts: 925 Member
So my husband is thinking we can go to Hawaii this winter or spring. I really want to go but am TERRIFIED of picking up bedbugs. Is this an irrational fear? Should we throw away our luggage when we get back? Should we stay home?

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    You should give me your tickets and stay home. You can never be too safe.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    LOL, Amygirl. So I take it you would go.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    You could go in a bubble, with your belongings in another bubble:)

Or give me the tickets and you can be safe and stay home!!
  • tulip07
    tulip07 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Not irrational at all.. those stinky creatures are everywhere and impossible to get rid of. Just be careful not to bring your stuff back inside without washing (and drying with high heat, that's one way the nasty suckers die!) each and every piece of clothing. Let the suitcases sit in the garage or wherever you can keep them until you vaccuum and spray some bedbug spray stuff for luggage. This is what we do EVERY TIME we travel
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Not irrational at all.. those stinky creatures are everywhere and impossible to get rid of. Just be careful not to bring your stuff back inside without washing (and drying with high heat, that's one way the nasty suckers die!) each and every piece of clothing. Let the suitcases sit in the garage or wherever you can keep them until you vaccuum and spray some bedbug spray stuff for luggage. This is what we do EVERY TIME we travel
    Welcome to the Irrational Club! :drinker:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Everyone should stay home except me.
  • tulip07
    Options
    Welcome to the Irrational Club! :drinker:
    LOL then so be it! :tongue:
    irrational or not - we'd rather do that than get our 4 bedroom house (& home with 2 small children) infested with the nasty bugs, have friends who had them and we saw how much money (in 1000s of USD) and time they wasted before just having to trash their bedding, matresses, furniture and move out to another house/apartment!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    wda0703l.jpg
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I totally got the crap bitten out of me by bed bugs in Honduras.

I can't wait to go back this summer!

(so yes, your fears are irrational)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I lived in an apartment that got a bedbug infestation. It was HELL. Google information about how to look for signs of bedbugs in your hotel room, and what they look like, and ways to protect your luggage and clothing when you return (a poster above gave a pretty good explanation)... really, just be cautious, but don't let it ruin your vacation. If you do somehow pick them up, you can get rid of them .. it just takes perseverance and consistency.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Bedbugs suck, but plane crashes are worse. You should be scared of the flight first, then the bedbugs, and then allergic reactions to the lei.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Bedbugs suck, but plane crashes are worse. You should be scared of the flight first, then the bedbugs, and then allergic reactions to the lei.

Even worse? Snakes. On a plane.
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Before making reservations check for your hotel here:
    http://bedbugregistry.com/

We spent one night in a hotel a couple of months ago and it was nice and clean and still I couldn't sleep because of my bedbug fear. So, if you're irrational, so am I.
  • jah7700
    jah7700 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ...allergic reactions to the lei...

HA!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    In all fairness to the OP, I am not qualified to respond. I went to Thailand while pregnant, rode an elephant, and bottle fed a tiger cub that was more like a yearling.

I like to check the government website for safe travel. If I don't have to worry about being kidnapped, having my kidney stolen as I sleep, or an exorbitant exchange rate...I'm going.

The downside is that my kid did NOT get any super powers from the contact with that tiger, dammit. I should have tried a mutant radioactive tiger...
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I think we can all agree that "bed bugs suck", but never going anywhere because you are afraid of them is irrational. That was your question, right?
  • tulip07
    Options
    Just to add to my earlier post on how you can wash your clothes and spray your luggage after you are back-

No you shouldn't stay at home and not go on vacation because of your fear of bedbugs.

No you shouldn't have to throw your suitcases either.

You should go, have fun! But you should also be mindful that they are out there. Just knowing you have options when you get back, will make you feel better.

Yes I have traveled all over the country and internationally too (no thailand or tigers, but yes to India, Dubai and other countries) but I never want to bring home the bugs. Bring home the memories, leave the bugs there! :happy:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    You don't have to travel to get them. Ever have friends over? Ever go to anyone's house? Ever eat at a restaurant, take a bus, train, or taxi? Ever go to a movie and sit in the seats? Take clothes to a laundromat? Do you ever brush up against someone walking down the street?

You're welcome. Life is full of opportunity to get infested.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I think being scared to stay in any hotel because of bed bugs is a little irrational...but that's just me.
  • branflake5
    Options
    maybe irrational just a little but i am paranoid about them too, we went to san diego labor day weekend pretty nice hotel and i inspected every nook and craney of that place before i brought our stuff in the room lol. i get paranoid at the dr office, movies, dressing rooms there are lots of places they could be hiding. but don't pass up a vacation in hawaii!!! check reviews on the hotels cleanliness and you could always ask them before you book if they have had any issues with bed bugs and how often they have an exterminator there.... GO and have a blast!!