Evening Snacks and Drinks

Options
My biggest problem is evenings. Once the kids go to bed and my wife and I sit to watch TV or read or whatever, I always end up having a few beers and snack food. I always include it in my calorie count and I generally am below for my goals for a day, but I think I would lose SO much more weight if I avoided that part. Any ideas how to break the habit other than "just stop doing it."?

Replies

• Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My husband and used to do that...now we brush our teeth after dinner... it helps a lot and then we usually watch tv or read in bed and then helps us stay in bed and fall asleep rather than eating and drinking!!! Hope that helps...def brush your teeth after dinner you won't want to snack!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think I would lose SO much more weight if I avoided that part.

Consuming less calories will accelerate your weight loss, but consuming the same amount of calories earlier in the day will not.

Only mentioning this in case the above was specifically directed at the timing of the calories vs. the calories themselves.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Takes a lot of will power, but I think just stop doing it is the best way. I used to eat Hersheys Dark Chocolate kisses every night after dinner, about 6 or 7 and I had to give that up. I still eat them, but do so as a snack during the day and only consume 2 at the most and I log them in my calorie count. What about trying one of the protein bars that are really tasty and a glass of fat free milk. Maybe that will help. Good Luck.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm always hungry at night, so I eat! As long as you're within your calorie goals, the time you eat is irrelevant. Just save some calories for night time and enjoy! I hate going to bed hungry.
    Your metabolism doesn't stop just because you go to sleep :D
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    We use to do that. Now we only drink a few beers on the weekend (it makes a difference). My snack of choice, now, is 1 c of multigrain cheerios with 1/8 c of skim milk. It does the trick :)
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am an evening snacker also. In the past I would start work without breakfast and forget to eat till 2pm. Now I have a zone or fiber bar and eat lunch. I find that eating more during the day helps me be in control better at night.

But I still want to nosh at night, so I just changed the way I do it. I have wine but drink it with club soda to control the calories. I also have snacks but controlled portions. In the past it was a free for all.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you really want to stop snacking, I think that you just have to stop - it takes some willpower at first, but it's just a habit. Once you stop expecting that snack it is no big deal.

But if you're within your calorie goals then I don't see a problem with it.
  • _Sonia_
    Options
    I just keep popcorn around. Those little 100-calorie bags. Generally, that's what I restrict myself to after dinner--either a small bag of popcorn or a piece of fresh fruit. I hate going to sleep hungry! But if you really want to just STOP, the idea of brushing teeth and applying willpower sounds ideal.
  • erinrose07
    Options
    Hmmm....I've heard a lot of new revelations about the eating before going to bed thing, and how it doesn't actually cause you to gain weight as it has been believed to do. I struggle with that idea though, even if it is true. Especially because when I eat/drink anything but water before bed, I wake up feeling and looking bloated and heavy.

I'm with you on the feeling that you're weight loss would be more successful if you gave up the habit.

In the past, I've found that having my wine WITH dinner helps me stop there or not go beyond a second glass. Then, before bed, I have a popsicle to try and curb cravings. I also sleep with a liter of water by my bedside.
  • erinrose07
    Options
    Hmmm....I've heard a lot of new revelations about the eating before going to bed thing, and how it doesn't actually cause you to gain weight as it has been believed to do. I struggle with that idea though, even if it is true. Especially because when I eat/drink anything but water before bed, I wake up feeling and looking bloated and heavy.

I'm with you on the feeling that you're weight loss would be more successful if you gave up the habit.

In the past, I've found that having my wine WITH dinner helps me stop there or not go beyond a second glass. Then, before bed, I have a popsicle to try and curb cravings. I also sleep with a liter of water by my bedside.
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Beer - that's been one of my biggest challenges too. I now limit it to just 2 or 3 days a week instead of every evening and try to limit it to 2 or 3 beers. Even just one fewer is a lot of calories depending on what type of beer you drink. And I find that the less I drink beer, the less I feel cravings for snacks.
  • MidwestGirlz
    MidwestGirlz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you really want to stop snacking, I think that you just have to stop - it takes some willpower at first, but it's just a habit. Once you stop expecting that snack it is no big deal.

But if you're within your calorie goals then I don't see a problem with it.

Exactly - its about being a habit. Today is day 20 for me - almost 3 weeks in and I don't have this desire to sit on the couch and eat while watching TV as much. I'm not hungry - just doing it out of the routine and boredom. Now, if I do have a craving, I do 25 - 50 jumping jacks to get my heart rate up...and craving is gone.
  • erdelyt
    erdelyt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all of the responses. I really like the idea of brushing my teeth after dinner. I think I'll try that.

I know it's easy to say "stop doing it," but my issue is that I DO have enough calories left, but I'm eating BECAUSE of the calories, not because I'm hungry (which I'm not).

Maybe it's just a non-issue... :-)