Sexy in Six ***closed group*** Week Five

Options

Replies

• heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Tuesday QOTD:

It's November already, which begins a challenging time of year for many of us whether it is holidays or the need for comfort food in the midst of cold weather and lack of good produce. What challenges are you facing with this time of year in relation to maintaining a healthy lifestyle and/or weight loss? What steps are you or will you be taking to not fall off track?

UGH having all this Halloween candy still in my house is a challenge. Really my hardest things are all the sweets and candy that come with the holiday's~~pies, cookies, candy, etc. I know that if I stress myself about not eating all the stuff everyone else is, I plan to enjoy it. I will watch what I eat but still enjoy a little of my favorite treats. I will choose ONE thing to enjoy on the day of our get-together's and make sure to either exercise enough to have the calories or save them from earlier. That way I can enjoy this time of the year without killing all that I have worked for.

Wednesday QOTD:

So, when you see a gain on the scale (or even just have a really bad day) how do you get back on track and not let it take you into a downward spiral?

This was me recently. I weighed in Monday with a loss but Tuesday I had a gain of a pound. I dig deep inside and remember why I am doing this change. I get on here and my FB (I have a small weigh loss group on there too) and post something positive. Pushing others and encouraging them actually helps me. I feel like I need to being doing the things I am saying so I get up and make it happen.
  • codonnell13
    codonnell13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wednesday QOTD: So, when you see a gain on the scale (or even just have a really bad day) how do you get back on track and not let it take you into a downward spiral?

I can usually predict when I am going to be up or down, so it isn't terrible hard to deal with it. I always try to remember ALL of the progress I have made so far when I am up a pound one day.
  • MaManeenCal
    MaManeenCal Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Wednesday QOTD: So, when you see a gain on the scale (or even just have a really bad day) how do you get back on track and not let it take you into a downward spiral?

I don't even know if I've gotten that far, I haven't lost weight in over 2 weeks.... I got a little discouraged this week, but I started reading everyone elses progress and I know if I stick to it, it will work. So today, I ordered some new workout DVDs and hopefully changing it up will help.
  • TanyaPearce
    Options
    It used to get me down and I would discourage me. Now it motivates me to work harder. I don't want to be defeated.
  • jellybean1971
    jellybean1971 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Wednesday QOTD:

So, when you see a gain on the scale (or even just have a really bad day) how do you get back on track and not let it take you into a downward spiral?

Sad to say I have a calender hanging on my fridge where I write down my weight every morning, I look at the numbers every time I open the fridge it helps me keep going in the right direction
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Wednesday QOTD:

Sad to say I have a calender hanging on my fridge where I write down my weight every morning, I look at the numbers every time I open the fridge it helps me keep going in the right direction

Great idea - I weigh more than once a week as well, I try to log it in here so I can see my normal fluctuations on my progress report, that also helps me freak out less if it goes up a bit :-)
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Wednesday QOTD:

I'm struggling with this right now. Due to excessive hormonal changes, I had a four pound gain one day this week. I know it's not "real", but it's still making me struggle to stay on track, and make good food choices, especially since I have been too exhausted to work out.

This group keeps me coming back, and the progress I have made up to this point...because I know how easy it would be to gain it all back.

I'm struggling, but I'm still hanging on.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Wednesday QOTD:

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I track my daily weight in. I keep it open on my home computer so every time I sit down to check email, MFP or FB, there it is staring at me.
  • kaleighmorgan
    Options
    Okay, QOTD Thursday:

Do you think stress makes it easier or harder to stick to your goals, and how do you cope with stress?

For me, stress makes it harder because I'm an emotional eater. In order to deal, I just try really hard to cope in healthy ways like meditation, cardio, strength training, and yoga.
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Okay, QOTD Thursday:

Do you think stress makes it easier or harder to stick to your goals, and how do you cope with stress?

For me, it's much harder. Stress makes me crave sugar, so I've had to substitute things that aren't things like Reese's Peanut butter cups.

To manage the stress, I repeat my mantra: "Keep your head up and breathe". And I go for a walk or sit in the hot tub and relax. Or shop, which I suppose is not quite as constructive.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Okay, QOTD Thursday:

Stress is one of the biggest reasons why I got to where I was before MFP. I was an emotional eater. It's a lot easier now than it used to be though. I will go for a long walk or do a workout DVD if I am feeling really stressed. In the six months that I have been using MFP, I can't think of a time that I really let stress get the best of me. And actually, now that I think about it, since I have been eating healthier and working out more, I don't feel as stressed. So I guess it's a win-win. :bigsmile:
  • mbw2586
    Options
    Okay, QOTD Thursday:

I think it depends on the type of stress for me. Sometimes I am an emotional eater, and sometimes I am an emotional non-eater. Neither is good. I also quit smoking, which was a substitute for eating during stressful times, so I worried about overeating due to that.

I try to watch trashy tv (in the room farthest from the kitchen) when I feel more than the normal, everyday amounts of stress :)
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    thursday QOTD

Stress makes it easier and harder, depending on the kind of stress, if I'm really on my game I can usually turn it into a positive experience and use the stress to exercise and not go over my calories, BUT if stress knocks me off my planning game I'm screwed and tend to eat things I shouldn't' and be to lazy to exercise!!!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    Hey everyone! I see you guys are doing a wonderful job! I kind of fell off the face of the earth for a few days, I've been pretty sick with a chest cold and a fever and I'm finally starting to get over it. On top of that I have been working, classes, etc. Life's been a little crazy! But I'm back for good and I have major motivation right now! I will go through when I get a chance and answer this weeks questions that I have missed.
    GO BLACK TEAM!
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    QOTD Thursday:

Like others I'm also an emotional eater. Stress always makes it harder. For me it's either one extreme or the other - eat too much or not enough. They're both damaging! Depending on the stress there are times that I don't eat hardly anything at all. I still carry on with my regular exercise routine, then I'm exhausted. Cope? Well.... basically just suck it up and get back on track. Somethings I can fix, somethings I can't. I just try to remember, I'm not going to suffer for someone else.
  • kjgarcia
    kjgarcia Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD:

I'm not toooo much of an emotional eater. I'm more of a boredome eater, or just plain ol' snacky.
    When I'm stressed if I'm at my job I just pour myself into work. If I'm at home stress usually equals a cleaner than usual house LOL
    I won't say I never stress eat, but it's not a huge factor for me.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    QOTD Thursday: Do you think stress makes it easier or harder to stick to your goals, and how do you cope with stress?

I've always been an emotional eater, so it takes some effort to keep stress from derailing me. Honestly, i just climb in bed and watch tv or sleep when im stressed. Well, once the baby goes to bed lol. My bed is so cozy, i now have a literal comfort blanket
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Okay, QOTD Thursday:

Harder...I'm such a stress eater!
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Okay, QOTD Thursday:

Harder, because I eat less-than-nutritious things when stressed. And I stop caring.

I'm still learning how to cope.
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    QOTD Thursday:

Stress has worked different ways at different times in my life. Generally, stress makes me eat like a fiend ... BUT, the thinnest I've ever been was when I had lost my job, was struggling to make ends meet and couldn't quite make sense of my world. I guess it's a perspective thing - stress is ALWAYS harmful, whether I'm gaining or losing.

As far as coping, up until recently I just... didn't. I had a lot of meltdowns, did a lot of crying and just generally made a scene when I couldn't handle it. Now, with my new job, every day is complete chaos, so I'm learning how to thrive in an environment that just ooozes stress. Still, there are nights when I go home and lay on the couch without moving for several hours at a time, so I guess I'm not completely "thriving" yet.

Also, running is newly-helping me to deal. I'm a big fan of how awesome I feel after I go run it out a little bit. :)