Burning Calories in a Sauna/Wrap Dome. Anyone know anything

Options
I was told you burn around 600 calories every 30 minutes just by laying inside this heated tube. This has me curious. Has anyone done this or know anyone that has? It sounds kind of dangerous to me. Thanks! :) (Anything to get out of a workout right? lol)

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I very much doubt this. You might lose a bunch of water though sweat but that's not the same thing.
  • mrshickey
    Options
    i would have thought u just lose water weight, then gain it all when you drink. as far as im aware you lose calories by increasing heart rate but im not sure how this would. 600 calories in 30 mins is more than someone may lose doing zumba at high intensity so id be skeptical
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    As far as I understand, if you aren't putting in any effort, you aren't burning any extra calories. You can definitely lose water weight due to sweating it out, but that is temporary loss - when you rehydrate you'll gain it back.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even burn 600 calories in 30 minutes if I was knocking out 6 minute miles!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't think you burn hardly any calories in a sauna... but they do have other health benefits.

I wouldn't count on those burning any calories at all. I just count it as mental health time since it's so relaxing for me :D
  • dicko2772
    dicko2772 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you'll have a slight increase in metabolism and the amout of calories your body burns when it's 'at rest' as your body struggles to maintain a constant temperature, but it's nothing really. any weight loss is mostly just water, as everyone else has pointed out.
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've done it before. It is water weight that you lose and although I did not see a big difference in the three sessions that I attended, I could see a minute difference.

On the one that I used, it would calculate how many calories it burned for your time/size and it seems like it was around 600-700 calories. I can't remember for sure, though.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Wraps just dehydrate and can be dangerous. Kind of pointless unless you are trying to make weight for a prize fight.
  • Kel3369
    Kel3369 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies.. Saw one for sale on Craigslist and was really curious but it sounds dangerous and temporary so I will pass. Thanks all! :)