8 cups of water daly? Are they kidding?

Options

Replies

• lmifflin
    Options
    yup, you do get used to drinking it after awhile. I gave up pop about 2 weeks ago and now all I drink is water, with lemon in it.
  • AriannaTiyen42
    AriannaTiyen42 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time too. Lately I don't drink anything other than water with my meals. It helps because when eating you get thirsty and if the waters there, you will drink it. I also guzzle down a bottle or two during my workouts.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When I first started it was hard... but slowly add in water and you will get there. I am up to 20-24 glasses a day. It helps to keep you from getting hungry and it helps to flush out the crap inyour body. You will lose more weight if you drink more water too. Nice benefit.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere from 8-12, depending on the day or if I am doing cardio that day. I already drink 3 glasses before I leave the house in the morning.
  • KristinaMarie1986
    Options
    try sobe life water, its a little pricey at a buck ish a bottle but its flavored and has b vitamins for energy so its less like drinking water and more like drinking juice, makes it so much easier to get the water in annd one bottle is equivalent to 2.5 "serviings" water :)
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 12 cups or more. as someone who dreaded drinking more than a cup of water (if that much) in March/April, I can tell you that you can acquire a taste for it (as some things I've read suggest that you will).

just keep chugging away. water is the best thing you can put in your body for several reasons.

Agree. I hated water, and still don't particularlly love it. I finally worked it up to 8 cups a day, and now that its a habit I actually drink 10-12 glasses a day =]
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I get in my 8 glasses most days,especially in the summer. If it's hard for you, try those Mio drops, or a little Crystal Light. Water suppresses your appetite,makes your skin look glowy, and rids the body of toxins.

:drinker: (that's me with water!!)
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I drink a bare minimum 12-15 cups a day, somedays up to a gallon. I'm amazed that 8 cups is overwhelming to you!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    "They" have been saying that forever, long before MFP ever came along. It's just 4 decent sized glasses a day. Drink one before breakfast, and one a little while before bed. That only leaves two glasses of water the rest of the day. Don't know how you can survive on less, especially if you exercise at all.
  • kellzyeah
    Options
    I've heard that you're supposed to drink half your weight in ounces, for example a 120 lb woman should drink at least 60 oz per day.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    It is so easy to drink 8 cups of water. I am past that before lunch. :drinker: Like others have said, water flushes out your system. You can add come Crystal Light or other flavours to your water. Drink up!!!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I drink on average between 18-24 cups of water a day.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    HA! I drink a GALLON a day!! I tote the gallon jug around with me everywhere and get all kinds of looks and questions "Do you really drink all that?" Yes I do and I try to do it all in one day every day! "Whoa! Does it make you have to, ya know, go pee?" Duh! Water does make me have to pee but I don't go anymore than say a pregnant woman... It's not a bad thing either! "How can you hold all that water? It doesn't seem humanly possible!" Humans are what like 75% water right? It's possible, believe me...

Try drinking 4 glasses in one day... And they mean one serving as in 8 ounces. most cups you drink from are 12 or more ounces. Test out your drinking glass. Take a liquid measuring cup and fill it up to the one cup mark, pour that into your drinking glass and see if there's extra space. :-) You totally can drink 8 glasses of water a day, it's not that much (coffee and tea counts in my book!)
  • kimber_av
    Options
    another good estimate is take your weight, divide it by 2 and thats how many oz you should shoot for.

ex.
    weight: 200/2= 100oz.

i try and shake it up- throw in a bottle of flavored water, or diet green tea
    it def helps
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I have a 64oz water bottle that sits on my desk at work, I fill it 3x a day most days. I find myself working and just reaching for the bottle and drinking...I must be imagining it as a bottle of whiskey of something.

Agreed, get a shaker bottle or similar and leave that on your desk. I have about 80oz at work alone. So, prob 120-140 all day. Yummy water!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't start losing weight until I drank 10 glasses of water or more, if I drink less I gain again...
  • gwmedicgod
    gwmedicgod Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    there are many good other routes for drinking your water.... I personally go for most of the flavors of "Propel zero" water or I add "Mio Liquid Water Enhancer" to either Bottled or filtered Tap water.. There are many different flavors in both to choose from...
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Way too much water for me. Makes me never want to look at water agan. Is it supposed to suppress hunger? To me it just makes me feel sick. What do you think?

You'll find your body adjusts quickly to drinking more water. I used to never drink it and now I notice quickly when I haven't had enough water, easily tucking away 12 glasses

The 8 cups a day thing is actually a bit of a misnomer though. It comes from a study in the 50's which conclude that an adult needs approximately 8 glasses of water a day MOST OF WHICH THEY WILL GET FROM FOOD. But the second part of that sentence has been left off for years. I do feel better drinking more water though :)
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    it's a guideline. Your body needs fluids. Lots of fluids .You get those in foods and in any other liquids you drink.

You do NOT need to chug down an additional magical number of 8 glasses a day over and above all the fluids you are drinking.

Water DOES NOT "flush out toxins " or any other nonsense.

What it CAN do is keep you feeling a bit more full .

And all those trips to the loo burn calories !
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 cups a day but, trust me, I was like you 8 months ago. It takes time to build up to it. Don't force yourself too much too early. If you can do 4 for now and increase by a cup or two every couple weeks you'll reach 8 soon and it won't be a big deal to you. And yes, it *definitely* helps with appetite suppression.