Exercise during winter months

Options
Ok I feel like I've given these facts a thousand times and you guys probably already know them, but I'm going to give them again just in case. I am staying with family who won't allow exercise machines, I live in a town with no gym or pool, and my doctor has my exercise relegated to walking only.

So I've been walking increasing distances for the past couple of months and it's been great for me. I have been doing this outside, in the evening when it was hot. I have a stationary bike I can also use but it's in storage and like I said, no machines allowed in the house (it's pretty cramped).

Does anyone have any tips for getting yourself outside during the winter months? Even when I layer clothing and promise myself a cup of something hot when I get home, I have a really hard time making myself get out there once the temperature starts to drop. I have a joint condition which get worse with the cold and I just tend to feel generally down. I am trying to suck it up and do it anyway, but I could use some tips if anyone has any. I am seriously considering walking laps through the house, despite how ridiculous that may look (I would do stairs but there aren't any). I don't want to put on any holiday weight this year, but the joint pain dampens my motivation to go out and walk.

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    It's mental. You have to just DO IT
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks always warm me up pretty quick before I head out.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I use the wii... I use the ea active 2 and made it harder by adding weights.... works for me:bigsmile:
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Wow, talk about a tough situation...

It sounds like your only option is really to get outside and do it. Have you looked into really good cold weather clothing? Items that will keep you *warm* when it's freezing?

Walk with a thermos of hot tea or hot cocoa?

Do you have a shopping mall? I have seen walking groups in shopping malls in the winter.

Walk with a 10lb backpack (if you're allowed to) it will help you work harder and heat up faster.

Other than that, listen to music, vary the locations and walk with a friend?

Best of luck!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It's mental. You have to just DO IT

What he said. I don't LIKE to exercise, but I LIKE what it does for me so I put up with it and feel better afterward. Like tonight I don't WANT to run or do my PT exercises. BUT I want my shoulder to get better, so I'll do the PT exercises and then I'll run. Even thought it's getting colder than a witches tit here I think I'll bundle up and run outside.

How about investing in some good workout gear that wicks away the moisture and keeps you warm at the same time. I find that alone makes me feel better about it!

Good luck!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    You could try workout dvd's
    Leslie Sansone has a LOT of different Walk At Home dvd's.
    I've heard Wal*mart carries them.

If you'd like to try it there's a site with a few sample videos (15 minutes or less).
    here: http://www.walkathome.com/try-walk-at-home/
  • la_flaca
    la_flaca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I spent most of my adult life in Minneapolis MN, and I can sympathize! I thought it was worthwhile to spend money on clothes that maximized my comfort when exercising outside (SmartWool everything, comfy waterproof walking boots, a windproof hat, good mittens because my hands get cold and I hate that) - definitely helped. Often I would tell myself that I just had to get dressed and go at least four blocks, and then I could go home if I was really miserable. Just about every time, after a couple blocks I realized it wasn't so bad and kept going. You just have to figure out the right mental tricks to get you out the door! After a while I came to enjoy my winter morning runs or walks....it's so quiet, everyone else is indoors, the colors and the air can be really very nice.

One thing though....if you live in a place where it snows (and believe me, in Minneapolis it snows)....give some thought to walking routes where you have reasonably safe footing. The one thing I worried about was slipping on black ice or a patch of snow; luckily the city was very good about plowing the bike/running paths year round.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Would Leslie Sansone's walking dvd's work in your situation? Here's a Youtube clip of what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M9fV8QYoVc

You can do it in a small space indoors. It's walking in place. She has dvd/vids for 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 miles. Some are available for free on exercisetv.

Edit to say: it's not always this pace. It does pick up speed. Watch a few minutes of some of them to see what I mean.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them.

I have to get out the door because I have dogs to walk, but the farther I go the worse the ache in my joints gets and by the time I get home I have a fever. :/ Lupus is not a fun illness. It's not really a matter of whether or not I'll do it-- I will because I have to-- I was just looking for some ways to make it less miserable.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,971 Member
    Options
    amber, I think it is important to recognize that breaking down exercise, into smaller time components, has proven to be as effective (and, in some instances MORE effective), than doing your exercise all at once.

So, instead of worrying about the gargantuan task of doing 60 minutes of walking (and getting cold, etc.), try breaking it down into 15-minute segments. Walk for 15 minutes and be home to enjoy a warm cup of tea. A couple of hours later, do that again. A couple hours later, do it again. Etc. If you are out-and-back in 15 minutes, maybe you won't get so cold, maybe your joints won't ache so much, maybe, just maybe, you'll find something that works JUST FOR YOU!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I grew up in Minnesota and lived there most of my life. Last winter I was able to stay active on a regular basis by walking 3 miles round trip to work every day and also running 2-3 miles a few times a week outside. (I did other stuff too, but this is what I did regularly outside.) What helped me was to listen to a LOT of podcasts on my phone. I have a lot of podcasts that keep me company but I said I would only listen to them if I was walking to work or out for a run. It was some motivation for me, at least. I suppose it doesn't help if you aren't addicted to listening to podcasts or the radio or something.

But, honestly, I really did feel better staying active all winter long. The cold and the snow and the darkness can really get you down, but getting out there helped keep the blues away. Running during the summer just makes me feel slow but running in the winter, when I was one of the only people out there, made me feel INVINCIBLE!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I spent most of my adult life in Minneapolis MN, and I can sympathize!
    Minneapolis! Woot!

(Okay, sorry. I'm done.)
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Do you have a mall nearby? You could walk around there or if desperate enough try a Super Wal-mart or Target. As for feeling generally down during the winter, it could be a lack of Vitamin D. Talk to your dr about getting your levels tested and taking a supplement. Also, you could try drinking whatever warm drink you're promising yourself while walking. Put it in an insulated cup and sip as you go to help keep your core temp up.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of at home workout DVD's that only require space to move. TurboFire, Turbo Jam, etc would be good places to start. It's a lot cheaper than the gym and very addictive.
  • la_flaca
    la_flaca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I spent most of my adult life in Minneapolis MN, and I can sympathize!
    Minneapolis! Woot!

(Okay, sorry. I'm done.)

MINNEAPOLIS woo hooooooo!!!!....though actually, after 15 years I wimped out and moved to Texas. It was 85 degrees here yesterday y'all :) Still a Minnesotan at heart though - I get a good laugh out of the Texans who wear giant fur-lined jackets when the temperature dips into the 50s, and who cancel their lunch plans if it's cloudy outside!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    amber, I think it is important to recognize that breaking down exercise, into smaller time components, has proven to be as effective (and, in some instances MORE effective), than doing your exercise all at once.

So, instead of worrying about the gargantuan task of doing 60 minutes of walking (and getting cold, etc.), try breaking it down into 15-minute segments. Walk for 15 minutes and be home to enjoy a warm cup of tea. A couple of hours later, do that again. A couple hours later, do it again. Etc. If you are out-and-back in 15 minutes, maybe you won't get so cold, maybe your joints won't ache so much, maybe, just maybe, you'll find something that works JUST FOR YOU!!

This is a good idea that seems like it could work for me. Thanks :)
  • Code
    Code Posts: 5
    Options
    Anytime I am not able to jog outside (for whatever reason) for my daily cardio-workout, I always substitute my jog with at least a 50 minute "run in place" jog in my living room. Believe it or not, depending on your weight and how vigorous you run in place, you can burn anywhere from 300 to 500 calories. That is not a bad workout. I do this while I listen to music (for motivation) or just watch TV or series episodes (I need to catch up on)....it helps me forget I am working out. Like some have suggested "its all mental" and all about having discipline.

Discipline is doing something you don't want to do, yet you just know you have to do it. Best wishes and stay motivated.