4 hours of Muay Thai a day (5 days a week)is too much?

Options
I've lost 7kilos in 2 months since September 2011 by doing Muay Thai everyday except Sunday. i started with 2 hours every session for the first month and start doing 4 hours twice a week now. I'm thinking of going for 4 hours everyday now.my friends call me crazy because they know its an intense workout and some told me to slow down a little bit. They understand my love for Muay Thai but they find 4 hours is a bit too much. I'm 26 year old girl from Malaysia btw :)

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I don't know exactly what is a Muay Thai but it seems like a martial arts. Well I guess 4 hours everyday is too much. I agree that its very intense. I'm also into martial arts particularly Aikido but I only do it for 2 hours once a week. The other days I concentrate on weight lifting & some cardio.
  • Ritala1987
    Ritala1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i dont think it is too much! its an extreme sport and i requires alot of hard work and dedication...if you are willing to put in the effort then you will benefit from that! just make sure you eat enough to keep you fuelled and rest if you need to...do what ypour body tells you :)
  • RuchMathers
    RuchMathers Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Muay Thai is Thai Kickboxing. I can only afford to go to muay thai studio.I'm thinking to hit the gym once i lost 20kg in total. Gym membership is quite costly in here.
  • andreacord
    Options
    I would say if you love it, go for it. Listen to your body for sure though. If you need a day off because of fatigue or soreness, take it. You also should be eating more with exercise on that level.. Like none of the 1200 calorie stuff with 4 hours of intense kickboxing five days a week.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I would say if you love it, go for it. Listen to your body for sure though. If you need a day off because of fatigue or soreness, take it. You also should be eating more with exercise on that level.. Like none of the 1200 calorie stuff with 4 hours of intense kickboxing five days a week.

this

do it ALMOST daily, if you'd like, but remember your body needs a day off a week to heal and repair muscle, AND remember that you NEED to fuel these workouts. You should be eating about 1800 a day while doing this. you'll still lose weight, and get strong while doing it. You can't build muscle and improve your art while eating too little.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I've lost 7kilos in 2 months since September 2011 by doing Muay Thai everyday except Sunday. i started with 2 hours every session for the first month and start doing 4 hours twice a week now. I'm thinking of going for 4 hours everyday now.my friends call me crazy because they know its an intense workout and some told me to slow down a little bit. They understand my love for Muay Thai but they find 4 hours is a bit too much. I'm 26 year old girl from Malaysia btw :)

Your avatar makes me wanna go right out and be a gangsta for a day.
  • RuchMathers
    Options

this

do it ALMOST daily, if you'd like, but remember your body needs a day off a week to heal and repair muscle, AND remember that you NEED to fuel these workouts. You should be eating about 1800 a day while doing this. you'll still lose weight, and get strong while doing it. You can't build muscle and improve your art while eating too little.

i thought my daily calorie intake is a lot already :s how do i calculate how much i should be eating?now wonder my friends told me i've been eating too little.as for now im trying to avoid rice but it is so hard to do so.thank you for your advice
  • RuchMathers
    Options

Your avatar makes me wanna go right out and be a gangsta for a day.

hahaha for some reason Eminem gives me the movitation that i need.that avatar is for those who dont believe in me :p
  • mrsredneckmorris
    mrsredneckmorris Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Back in the day I trained 2hrs a day 6 days a week in martial arts; lifted weights for at least one HR before and most nights ran to and from the gym(5km min each way); and taught to kids on the 7th....I was obsessed, needed release from some stressful life stuff...
    I burned out....but I wasn't listening to my body and I also wasn't fueling it properly. I think you should try it, see how you feel, fuel yourself properly, and get adequate rest so your body can rebuild.

I recently started boxing, our club also has Maui thai,i would love to try it when I get in a bit better condition:) how long have you been taking classes?
  • RuchMathers
    Options
    Back in the day I trained 2hrs a day 6 days a week in martial arts; lifted weights for at least one HR before and most nights ran to and from the gym(5km min each way); and taught to kids on the 7th....I was obsessed, needed release from some stressful life stuff...
    I burned out....but I wasn't listening to my body and I also wasn't fueling it properly. I think you should try it, see how you feel, fuel yourself properly, and get adequate rest so your body can rebuild.

I recently started boxing, our club also has Maui thai,i would love to try it when I get in a bit better condition:) how long have you been taking classes?

Since my 2 in 1 operation a year ago (i got my appendix removed and cyst too at the same time) i havent been running,at all.i even skip that in the studio.i think im going to start running again,slow pace of course.

i started 6 years ago for couple of months,had to stop for 4 years for my night class(part time diploma) and just started doing it again this year on September and got too obsessed about it.i need to train everyday.i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing :s