Peroneus Brevis Stress Fracture: Recovery Advice

Options
Hmm,

I have recently developed a little love for running/jogging and am also very new at it. Although it feels amazing, I think I may have damaged one of the tendons connected to the calf-running down through the outside/bottom of the foot. The peroneus brevis!

So, I've done a little googling to find out whether its a common injury and it turns out that it us amongst runner that travel on uneven terrain and/or may not have stretched those tendons/muscles groups properly before and after training.

This pain is only new, I have been nursing if for about 2/3 days. It was gradually getting better, until I decided to try for a walk/jog this afternoon and the pain is back.. **FAIL**

SO, who has a story with a similar injury. What was the best method of treatment. Looks like ice, stretching and rest is key... did this improve your recovery?

Ta,
Bung-foot
Picinina

Replies

• justinvarg01
    Options
    I'm an avid runner as well. I've hurt myself dozens of times over. Everything from a sprained IT band, sprained ankles, sprained Achilles tendons, pulled hamstrings/calves/groin, all the way to a broken femur.

The only thing that can save you is rest, rest, and more rest. I like to up my protein intake a bit to help with the body's repair process. Try to take as much pressure off the injury as possible. And don't try to get back to putting stress on your foot too early. You'll end up re-aggravating it. You don't want a minor set back to turn into a long term nagging injury.

Perhaps after you're all well and good, you could look into minimalist running. It's highly controversial, but it makes your feet and tendons stronger, preventing later injury. I've started doing it. I've run into three or four occasions where I know my leg should have given out, and I should have sprained my ankle, but the newly acquired strength from minimalist running has helped me withstand those moments. The key is to ease into the training very slowly. If you start doing your normal routine in those kinds of shoes, you'll probably walk into a world of pain.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry to be a little picky here but can I just point out that the peroneus brevis (which is better and more commonly known as the fibularis brevis) is a muscle, not a tendon. The tendons of the fibularis brevis attach it to the fibula and the base of the fifth metatarsal in the foot. Additionally, it's not a bone, so you can't have a stress fracture of it. I'd be very wary of trying to diagnose an injury online.

The fibularis brevis points the foot and also turns it outwards, and it does play a minor role in stabilising the foot during running, as it supports one of the arches of the foot.

That being said (and sorry, rant over) the chances are that you've strained a muscle from your new activity of running, particularly if it's on uneven surfaces. If this is the case (though i would still recommend visiting a registered physiotherapist for an assessment in person, this is always better than trying to self-diagnose) then your best bet is ice, anti-inflammatories and rest for at least 4 or 5 days. You then will need to ensure that you have a good stretching programme when you return to running, and perhaps also some strengthening exercises for the stabilising muscles of the lower leg.

Alternatively it may be that you need different running shoes/orthotics, but again, an assessment in person would be much better to assess this.

Hope that's helpful and your injury heals quickly so you can get back to running!
  • picinina
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Justin, appreciate it. I am currently set-up on ice.

I have a friend into minimalist running (funnily enough, his name is Justin!). You're right, very controversial. I might have a chat to him about it...

:( Such a downer. What sort of exercises did you do during your injuries?! I thought light cycling might be okay... with no full-body weight-barring. But, then again... it's part of that muscle group, which might aggravate it?
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry to be a little picky here but can I just point out that the peroneus brevis (which is better and more commonly known as the fibularis brevis) is a muscle, not a tendon. The tendons of the fibularis brevis attach it to the fibula and the base of the fifth metatarsal in the foot. Additionally, it's not a bone, so you can't have a stress fracture of it. I'd be very wary of trying to diagnose an injury online.

The fibularis brevis points the foot and also turns it outwards, and it does play a minor role in stabilising the foot during running, as it supports one of the arches of the foot.

That being said (and sorry, rant over) the chances are that you've strained a muscle from your new activity of running, particularly if it's on uneven surfaces. If this is the case (though i would still recommend visiting a registered physiotherapist for an assessment in person, this is always better than trying to self-diagnose) then your best bet is ice, anti-inflammatories and rest for at least 4 or 5 days. You then will need to ensure that you have a good stretching programme when you return to running, and perhaps also some strengthening exercises for the stabilising muscles of the lower leg.

Alternatively it may be that you need different running shoes/orthotics, but again, an assessment in person would be much better to assess this.

Hope that's helpful and your injury heals quickly so you can get back to running!

Absolutelly correct!
  • foxyxxx
    foxyxxx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing.

It two-three weeks to heal.

The only exercise I managed then was gentle swimming and lots of stretching.

But generally I spent most of my time propped up on ice bags.

And now I spend the extra 15 minutes doing as much stretching as I can, especially on my calves.
  • picinina
    Options
    Hi,

Not a rant at all, and thanks for the correct terminology. Thankfully it's the weekend and I haven't any out-going plans. SO I will be taking it very easy.

Injury guidance taken. :)

Gah, all I want to do is run! Damn foot.
  • picinina
    Options
    I had the same thing.

It two-three weeks to heal.

The only exercise I managed then was gentle swimming and lots of stretching.

But generally I spent most of my time propped up on ice bags.

And now I spend the extra 15 minutes doing as much stretching as I can, especially on my calves.

2-3 weeks! :(
    Mmm swimming sounds gooood, I'm in the right season for it!
  • justinvarg01
    Options
    I would try to avoid that muscle group completely. When my legs were shot, I would do multiple sets of sit ups just to keep my endurance up. I also lifted weights. But you should really rest for a while.

As for minimalist training, I would buy correct fitting shoes and start out by walking around in them during the day. Then I'd move up to running a few miles a week in them while using your normal running shoes for the rest of your training. Slowly increase your mileage until your body gets used to running with minimal support.
  • justinvarg01
    Options
    I would try to avoid that muscle group completely. When my legs were shot, I would do multiple sets of sit ups just to keep my endurance up. I also lifted weights. But you should really rest for a while.

As for minimalist training, I would buy correct fitting shoes and start out by walking around in them during the day. Then I'd move up to running a few miles a week in them while using your normal running shoes for the rest of your training. Slowly increase your mileage until your body gets used to running with minimal support.
  • justinvarg01
    Options