I wish I had an English accent.

Options

Replies

• Cas_p
    Cas_p Posts: 8
    Options
    to those wishing for an english accent, i hereby grant you a scouse one (as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for)

Rofl!!!! V. Funny!

You're welcome to my accent, I live near London now but I'm from Solihull mr Birmingham way and over here I don't really have a distinguishable accent, people cant place us! Kind of like the 'typical english person in films'. Except for my slight brummie twang that apparently comes out when I'm drunk or go home for the weekend, not sexy.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian and i have a thing for canadian, Irish and south African oh and scottish lol im just a accent *kitten*
  • Diggy2011
    Diggy2011 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Mines a welsh accent but nothing as broad as the valleys.

Do you have the same accent as Eve Myles?

Ystradgynlais is in the swansea valley i'm close to Cardiff
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I lost my English (Manchester) accent when we migrated to Australia...if I had been a year or two older I probably would have retained the accent. My accent now is probably considered Australian but not as broad as the typical Aussie accent. Some people do detect a slight something but they are not sure what it is.

I love the Irish and Welsh accents...:love::love:
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Mines a welsh accent but nothing as broad as the valleys.

Do you have the same accent as Eve Myles?

Ystradgynlais is in the swansea valley i'm close to Cardiff

I'm sure it's cute anyway! :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have an Australian friend who told me a funny story about when she took her family to a movie here in the US, some redneck noticed at her accent was different and asked...

"Your accent ain't from around here. Are you guys from ALABAMA?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I have a very Britis accent and I really want to have a French accent. When I went to America. People would literally stare with their mouths open or make me say tings to them. They were particulary fond of doing Austin Powers impressions. I had to explain that Mike Myers was actually canadian!

I stayed in a very black part of New York and I think people did not expect me to sound like that. They do it here too, no one seems to think that someone of my colour could actually have a well spoken accent. haha
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    to those wishing for an english accent, i hereby grant you a scouse one (as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for)

Rofl!!!! V. Funny!

You're welcome to my accent, I live near London now but I'm from Solihull mr Birmingham way and over here I don't really have a distinguishable accent, people cant place us! Kind of like the 'typical english person in films'. Except for my slight brummie twang that apparently comes out when I'm drunk or go home for the weekend, not sexy.

Aldight chuck. hehe
  • nothingisred
    Options

:laugh:

I think if the scouse (or geordie or brummy) accent was the generic English accent that Americans associated with us then all of a sudden a lot fewer people would want an "English" accent!
    Oh me too. You'd be surprised though. Americans find English accents very sexy but Brits find American accents just as sexy :) My ex says so all the time! They're crazy for American "accents" even though we don't think we have one lol

Sorry I have to disagree there, I find most American accents quite irritating...
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am scottish and its the irish accent that does it for me :)

I'm Irish and its the Scottish accent that does it for me!! :)
  • StarlightxUK
    Options
    Im happy with my Scottish accent :)
  • marzahl68
    Options
    I'm German, living in Florida, and people always ask me if I'm Irish. My German accent isn't very pronounced but I guess I do sound "non-local" to some.
  • dandrews010
    dandrews010 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You want to get yourself a Jarvis Cocker, Alex Turner - esque Sheffield accent. I love mine.
  • dandrews010
    dandrews010 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If not though give me an irish accent
  • cazyll
    cazyll Posts: 184
    Options
    I have a northern irish accent but you wouldnt want it, nor would you want a belfast accent. Accents here vary within a few miles. I only live 100 miles away from Dublin but I have no idea what they are saying.

I like a Newcastle accent.
  • teenysteaney
    teenysteaney Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Rofl!!!! V. Funny!

[/quote]

I'm also from Solihull originally and have exactly the same problem, no-one can ever place my accent and usually just tell me I sound a bit posh! Just like you, I also have the Brummie twang that comes out in the occasional word or as you said, when I've had a drink or two.

Personally I love a soft Irish accent, but again, they are regional and some are nicer than others. I think that's probably true of every country, local dialects will vary from area to area.
  • TonyG111160
    TonyG111160 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am English, I used to have a broad geordie accent but its mellowed a lot now as I have moved around a lot.

I wish I had a French accent, frenchwomen sound so sexy!
  • teenysteaney
    teenysteaney Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oo, that's odd, I put your text in a quote box but it didn't work in my end post. :embarassed:
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm from Portsmouth in the UK and anyone who wants my accent would be welcome to it. Love an Irish accent! Also love hearing Spanish women speak.
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    I'm in West Yorkshire and the accents round here are quite varied. I have a mixed up lot of English accents myself from moving around a lot and my default accent is slightly posh London with a hint of "up North" about it, but since living round here for 12 years there's an increasing tendency to become broad Yorkshire in the right company! I work in a hospital and see people from all around the region and the variety in the accents and dialects is amazing. You know, the NHS actually employ people to teach our immigrant healthcare staff the local version of English! We have so many foreign doctors in the UK but while the version of English they learnt abroad may have worked for them in medical school it sure doesn't work in clinical practice! I'm English and struggle to understand some of my patients!