I wish I had an English accent.

Options

Replies

• jackiemonx
    jackiemonx Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    im assumin the english accent the americans like is the hugh grant type??
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Same. I wish I had a British or Australian accent.

Aussies have accents now? :O
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    haha i do wonder what british/english accent you are regarding to because there are so many. Im from wales and apparently have an accent but you've got cockney, scouse, brummy...theres loads of different ones here in the uk xxxx
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Which British accent? I think when American's think of a British accent they think of accents from the south east (London and the home counties), as that's what's depicted in films and TV. I'm not sure how exposed people really are to all the other accents that we have over here. I'm a mixture of Geordie and Lancastrian, which I think sounds horrible.

My opinion on the American accent. Most of what I'm exposed to sounds very whiney and nasal. I do like speaking to our IT helpdesk though, I think they are based in Atlanta and I love their accent.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    hahah i'm from england!!!! hollaaaaaaaaaa! <3
  • jackiemonx
    Options
    Im happy with my Scottish accent :)

me too!! :)
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Rofl!!!! V. Funny!

You're welcome to my accent, I live near London now but I'm from Solihull mr Birmingham way and over here I don't really have a distinguishable accent, people cant place us! Kind of like the 'typical english person in films'. Except for my slight brummie twang that apparently comes out when I'm drunk or go home for the weekend, not sexy.
    I'm also from Solihull originally and have exactly the same problem, no-one can ever place my accent and usually just tell me I sound a bit posh! Just like you, I also have the Brummie twang that comes out in the occasional word or as you said, when I've had a drink or two.

Personally I love a soft Irish accent, but again, they are regional and some are nicer than others. I think that's probably true of every country, local dialects will vary from area to area.
    [/quote]
    Me too :p
    Originally from Solihull and been living daarn Saarf for years (moved to Southampton when I was 19 and then to London 11 years ago). My family sound like real Brummies to me now, even though their accents are not that strong. I sound watered-down London but not Cockney... Home Counties / BBC style - with a fairly deep tone... been told I sound quite sexy on the phone (by women not blokes) lol. Show's how misleading accent or how somebody sounds can be :)
  • nothingisred
    Options

Probably...I hate Hugh Grant's accent, I know it's real but I think it sounds really like the bad fake English accents you hear American actors do, they make me cringe!
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    London through and through here, but not the new hybrid I hear the youngsters speaking. It's like a cross between london, jamaican, pakistani and west indian. When I hear it I'm like 'what on earth are you trying to say?'
    Showing my age!!!
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options

Probably...I hate Hugh Grant's accent, I know it's real but I think it sounds really like the bad fake English accents you hear American actors do, they make me cringe!

Flashbacks to Mary Poppins - D**k Van *kitten* should have been shot! *shudder*

The only actor I had to google because I wasn't sure if he was American or English was Spike in Buffy :laugh:
  • dandrews010
    dandrews010 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Watch the Full Monty.
  • jackiemonx
    Options
    Watch the Full Monty.

or trainspotting for the scottish accent lovers lol
  • teenysteaney
    teenysteaney Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Me too :p
    Originally from Solihull and been living daarn Saarf for years (moved to Southampton when I was 19 and then to London 11 years ago). My family sound like real Brummies to me now, even though their accents are not that strong. I sound watered-down London but not Cockney... Home Counties / BBC style - with a fairly deep tone... been told I sound quite sexy on the phone (by women not blokes) lol. Show's how misleading accent or how somebody sounds can be :)

Big internet - small world huh! :smile:
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Watch the Full Monty.

or trainspotting for the scottish accent lovers lol

or rab c nesbit :D
  • alair1980
    alair1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Originally from Lancashire (Northern England), moved to Surrey (Southern England) when I was younger but still retained some of the Northern twang. Have since moved to Canada where I am told that I could read people the phone book or reel off expletives and apparently people would still love my accent. According to my Mum though, I'm losing my English accent - I think the Canadians would disagree!!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have an English accent - I'm from London. But I'm happy to hire my accent out to you chaps for a reasonable fee.
    Me too. I'm from Herts originallybut live nr Oxford. My accent is neutral and quite nice sounding. :)
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    hahaha really??? im welsh and i cant stand the english accent.... depending on what part of englan ur talking about
    give me irish any day
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    i dont have a accent since i'm from american

Facepalm. :sick:

Bwahahahaha.

Everyone has an accent. An accent is just how you pronounce words. Though apparently op's accent is "I don't grammar good." ;)

And here we have a perfect, living example of the irony bypass, ladies and gentlemen....
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    Options
    I have an English accent - I'm from London. But I'm happy to hire my accent out to you chaps for a reasonable fee.
  • cat1725
    Options
    I'm from southeast England Kent and I wish I was a American love the accents and America