Working Out and Eating Back Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Biggipooh
    Options
    Isn't that Nr. 4 of the forum rules?

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Lol no that must be something your parents told you.

If you can't say anything useful why bother to comment is more of a rule to go by here. And I gave a useful comment
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I did see that part at the end of the forum rules, but honestly the fact that you know that and expect others to follow it is kinda sad.

Just because you can't handle the truth or rude people, doesn't mean others can't. Plus, I suggest you follow your own advice and don't read threads that have posts that offend you.. No one says you have to reply/read them either.
  • Saffa_NZ
    Saffa_NZ Posts: 11 Member
    Options

You are breaking your own rules, GTFO
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That is one thing I hate about MFP is that they add your burned calories to your total, like you are to eat them. I totally disagree!!!! My own stupid goal is to once a week burn the whole 1200 cals I ate. (i have yet to do so,lol) but in the back of my mind I keep trying. It takes what like 3500 burned cals for one lb or something like that, if you take it all back in how is that loosing? It doesn't make any sence to me. That's just my thoughts,lol

You're burning off more than the 1200 calories you even if you lie in bed all day doing nothing. Your body is constantly burning calories. Under "tools" look up your BMR. That's the amount of calories your body burns every day just staying alive. As soon as you get out of bed, you burn more than that.

Go to your "goals" page. On the right side, you'll see calories burned from normal activities. That's how many you burn daily before exercise. Your calorie goal is based off that number. If you want to lose one pound a week, you need to eat 500 calories less than that number. But when you exercise, the number of calories you've burned is higher, so if you don't eat the earned calories, you'll end up with a larger deficit.

If you have too much of a deficit, it will interfere with your weight loss. It ISN'T just a matter of losing more weight when you eat less calories. If you eat too few, your body won't function properly. I lost more eating 1400-1500 calories, plus exercise calories, than I did at 1200 or when I foolishly tried 800 years ago. Given the choice between eating a little and having mediocre results and eating twice as much and having satisfying results... guess which I chose?! :smile:

Edited to add: The time and calories you spend exercising isn't wasted if you eat those calories. It's contributing to your overall health and fitness. It's helping you retain lean muscle mass. It makes you feel great. And it lets you eat more. :laugh:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are three main variables in weight loss that are crutical; lean body mass (LBM), basal metabolic rate (BMR) and total daily energy expended (TDEE) [see shapefit.com link for further detail]. 1. LBM is the mass of a body minus the lipids (body fat); essentially, the weight from organs, muscle, bones and tissue. 2. BMR is the minimum calorific requirement needed to sustain life in a resting individual. It can be looked at as being the amount of energy (measured in calories) expended by the body to remain in bed asleep all day. 3. TDEE TDEE is the total number of calories that your body expends in 24 hours, including all activities. TDEE is also known as your "maintenance level".

Note: BMR is also known as your metabolism (see mayo clinic link)

With that out o the way we can move on. There are several methods to understand weight loss but what I have seen to be the most effective on me and every person I have worked with so far is utlizing the Katch McArdle formula. This incorporates your metabolism (BMR) which is derived from your Lean Body Mass and your overall caloric expenditures to create an overall deficit for weight loss. See below formula (see link 3)

Lean Body Mass

LBM = Weight - (Weight * body fat %)

The formula is as follows:
    BMR = 370 + (9.79759519 X Lean Mass in pounds)

TDEE is calculated by multiplying your BMR by your activity multiplier from the list below:

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

Example me

Weight: 195
    Body Fat: 11%
    TDEE (I do p90x): 1.725
    Deficit: 250

LBM = 195 - (195*.11) = 173.6
    BMR = 370 + (9.79759519 X 173.6) = 2070.4
    TDEE = 2070.4 * 1.725 = 3209.1
    Caloric needs = 2959.1

Ok, so what this means is my metabolism burns 2070.4 calories if I did nothing but sleep for 24 hour. Based on my lifestyle (sedentary job but workout 6 days a week) I am considered very active so between my metaboism and activity I burn 3209 calories (aka, the calories I woudl need to eat to maintain my metabolism). So if I want to lose weight, then i need the deficit which is my caloric needs.

So lets talk metabolism and body fat. So we know that your BMR is your metabolism. And we know your BMR is affected by lean body mass, which means, that the higher your LBM, the higher your metabolism, the higher your caloric needs. This means, that BMR is one of most important factors in weight loss (because lets face it, you can lose weight without exercise, but you can adversely affect your metabolism by doing so). What I mean by this, there is only one real way to maintain a metabolism during weight loss and that is increasing lean body mass. Essentially, for every one pound of fat burned is a pound of lbm increase.

Example me again'

Start
    Weight - 210
    Body fat - 18%

LBM = 210 - (210 *.18) = 172.2
    BMR = 370 + (9.79759519 X 172.2) = 2057.1

Current

Weight - 195
    Body Fat - 11%
    LBM = 195 - (195 * .11) =173.6
    BMR = 370 + (9.79759519 X 172.2) = 2070.4

So the question is, what does this mean with my weight loss? What do large deficit do to weight loss? Well to understand this, you have to understand how to build muscle. Essentially, to build muscle, you need a combination of eating enough protein (about 1 g per lbm in your body). So my example above, I would need 173.6 g of protein to gain/maintain muscle (see link 4). I will note I have seen as low as .5 - 1 g to do this. So if I need 173.6 g of protein and 1g of protein = 4 calories (that means that 694.2 calories are from protein alone). So lets take a woman who is 175 & 37% body fat (this info comes from teh 5th link, real people on this board). This person has 110 lbs of lean body mass which means her protein needs to grow/maintain lbm = 444 calories from protein. That is over 1/4 of the calories a person that eats 1200 would have. That doesn't account for carbs which is 4 calories per gram and 9 caloriers per gram of fat. And btw, these are all net calories. When you expend energy, you expend calories because calories are what create energy. So if you eat 40/40/20 (carbs/protein/fat), you would need to eat 480/480/243 to get your 1200 calories. So if we can the woman above, her BMR is 1450 calories. if she does nothing her TDEE is 1740 which means with a 1 lb per week lose than 1240 calories is ok. Once you start to increase your TDEE, you need to increase your caloric needs because your body needs more food to fuel. So lets say you don't. You go to the gym and workout for an hour (zumba ) and you burn 600 calories. That means your net calories is 640 for the day. There are two main sources your body pulls energy from. First it's from yoru fat cells (food stores) and second is from the ammino acids in protein. So if you are only netting 640 calories, where do you think it's getting energy from? Thats right both fat stores and muscle (aka, the ammino acid stores). Essentially, it's the equivalent of eating 60 g of protein, 60 g of carb and 14 g of fat. So how can you maintain muscle mass with that? Well you can't.

This is very apparent in people on HCG where you only eat 500 calories. Example 6 below, fivefatcats (her results).

March 2010 - weight 182, lean weight 131.4 - fat weight 50.6, body fat 27.8 %
    Sept 2010 - weight 167, lean weight 124 - fat weight 43, body fat 25.5
    Oct 2010 . . . . .weight 154 . lean weight 116 , fat weight 38 . body fat 24.6.

At first, you are like wow, she lost 28 lbs and 3.2% body fat. Then you take a very close look at it, in reality, she lost 28 lbs, 15.6 of which was from muscle. That means over 50% of the weight lost was from muscle. What happens when you lose muscle? That is right, you slow your metabolism, which means you have to eat less food to keep losing weight. Huge muscle loss was obtained by little calories. So this is why when you eat little calories and exercise, you lose a lot of muscle which hurts you in the long run because that is what kills your metabolism. So how to you change that, you eat your calories, you eat quality foods and you lift weights!!!

http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/metabolism/WT00006

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-build-muscle-mass-guide/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/282320-caloric-intake-body-fat

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/356410-hcg-diet?page=3

I could do more, but I won't because I am tired and it's bed time. So now that I dropped some knowledge on everyone's arses feel free to rebutal or ask questions. We are all here to learn and the only way to do so is by challenging each other. I will say, if you are gonna comment, you better back it up because it wouldn't be the first time I have laid the intraweb smack down on someone, lol, jk.

Lemon
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    At first I didn't understand how eating back your calories would help in my wegiht loss journey and that's because I was looking at it wrong..

Say your daily calorie intake is 1200 calories... At the END of the day your "NET" calories need to say 1200... Never go under 1200... My daily calorie intake is 1370 (set up to lose 1.5lbs) so typically I eat around 1551 - 1800 calories through out the day from breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, & then a mid day snack depending on how hard I want to workout later on... When I workout I aim to burn between 400-500 if I've only ate around 1500 calories or I'll aim to burn 600-800 if I ate around 1800...

For example, If I ate 1551 calories one day then I'll aim to burn 500 calories from working out which will make my net 1051.. This then gives me 319 cals remaining to eat after my workout.. Whether its a protein packed smoothie or meal depends on how hungry I am... I aslo don't feel overwhelmed that that I'll have to eat a bunch of calories at the end of the day or before I go to bed...

I definietly don't feel like I'm starving at the end of the day... I've only been doing it this week and I've lost .06lbs....

Hope this helps....
  • kikiallain
    kikiallain Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Great explanation psulemon!! Hope people read this and adapt their weight loss methods!! Cause in the long term this is the BEST and most EFFICIENT way of loosing weight!!
  • DeniseSLP
    DeniseSLP Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I really try not to eat mine back because I want to get use to eating 1300 – 1500 calories and being comfortable with it. If I eat my workout calories, then on the day I don’t do cardio, I will still want more calories (especially since I have more time as I am not occupied for an hour getting ready and doing my workout.)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I really try not to eat mine back because I want to get use to eating 1300 – 1500 calories and being comfortable with it. If I eat my workout calories, then on the day I don’t do cardio, I will still want more calories (especially since I have more time as I am not occupied for an hour getting ready and doing my workout.)

why would you want to get your body used to under eating? You destroy your metabolism like that. Heck, regardless of the workout I do, I eat 2600 calories each day (even on my rest days). I utilize the Katch McArdle formula to determine my daily caloric needs which factors a weeks worth of exercise into the formula. If you haven't yet read what I wrote above, i woudl suggest you start there. If there is more confusion, I can expand more.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Bump - I've been struggling with eating more and this all just reaffirms why I need to. Thanks!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    most days i eat back at least some of my exercise calories, some times even all of it, depending on how hungry i am. i am not trying to lose alot of weight and i love my food. for me the motivation in working out is knowing i can eat just a little bit more when i do so!

mfp already took into consideration a deficit when calculating my calorie intake so i see no reason why i should not be eating the calories if i am hungry.
  • Teddiedoll
    Options
    bump