Options

Replies

• FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    If you figure it out let me know
  • StaceyKeller71
    Options
    Give it time...you already lost a lot up front, and your body is probably just adjusting to that change. Its HIGHLY unlikely you really gained 1 1/2 lbs ...more likely its just water. Just keep doing what you're doing and the results WILL return.

THIS.

It's also really, really easy to get caught up in that initial weight loss. Yes, you lost 9 pounds right off the bat, which is FANTASTIC! However, it is far from sustainable, and so when you don't keep up that rate of loss it's disappointing. When you have a tiny "gain," it's even worse. Had this "gain" happened two months from now, you probably would have blown it off, which is what you should be doing now.

A few things:

1) I would eat a bit more, but definitely make it healthy foods. Like maybe add in a Greek yogurt for ~150 calories to take yourself from a little over 1000 to closer to 1200. I'm not going to get into the whole debate about whether or not you're eating your exercise calories back (I don't, admittedly), but regardless of exercise, 1000 calories might force your body into starvation mode -->no loss on the scale.

2) I'm not sure what's in the Kirkland drink you're drinking (I shop at Costco, too, but have never bought that). Sometimes low-/no-calorie drinks have hidden sodium. However, it may be totally fine - just a thought, but you can certainly look at the nutrition label and make a decision for yourself.

3) You said you've been more lax on exercise this week, which is fine - we all have those weeks - but then you said you were cleaning a rental house yesterday and are sore now. That is a HUGE indicator to me that you worked your muscles hard and that your body may be retaining water to help repair those muscles. I started Couch to 5K at the end of August, and I "gained" ~3 pounds that first week. I knew my eating was spot on, and I was drinking plenty of water, so the theory was that my body was retaining water to help repair the muscles I had been using to run. (Yes, I was sore.) I honestly don't know if there's any real science behind that - in other words, I don't know if that's 100% true - but if it is, that could certainly be a culprit.

4) Is it your time of the month? I don't typically have major changes at that time, but sometimes the scale does stick that week or sometimes even bump up a bit. Then, when I'm all done, it will go back down, but not always quickly.

Remember, it takes eating 3500 calories *over and above what your body needs to function* to gain a pound. So, did you really eat 5250 calories over and above what your body needs to function? I doubt it.

Just be patient, and it will come off. I know this is hard to hear, but you just have to get over it. I have been using MFP for over 7 months now, and I've definitely had those moments where I was SO confused as to why the scale wasn't moving and beat myself up trying to figure it out. All I had to do was keep going, and it evened itself out. Now those little bump-ups don't bother me at all. For example, yesterday I hit a really nice low of 175.8, and today I was 177. I don't really care. Honestly I only recommend daily weigh-ins for those who can easily blow off static readings/"gains." Otherwise it might be best to weigh in only once a week.

Keepexercising, too! Every little bit you can do is great. Rest up today, though, take some Advil, and maybe ice some of the areas where you are sore, then jump back in when you feel up to it, physically.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! It isn't that time of the month and I measured every single thing I put into my mouth and religiously record it. I'll sit tight and be patient but I am going to start looking at labels for sodium.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough?

agree

your body is not getting enough calories so every thing that you eat is being stored as fat because your body thinks its being starved
    eat more fruits and veggies

a body is not going to go into starvation mode in 2 weeks
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's already been said, but one more time for emphasis. You're not eating enough. (Obviously, just my opinion.)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    On a similar thread a while ago, someone suggested making a weight graph. Weight yourself often and record your weight in an Excel/Opencalc sheet. After some time, you will notice you weight fluctuates up and down on a daily/weekly basis. Some days you'll gain for no apparent reason but if you're watching what you eat, the overall line on your graph will be going down.
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    More often than not - and unless you have been medically advised otherwise - you should be aiming for nearer the 1200 mark not the 1000 cals per day.

That said, you need to take into consideration, your hormone cycle, your salt intake, whether you weighed everything or guestimated it's weight, what exercise you did the day before you weighed (and when and what you were wearing) and you really must consider the fact that the previous week you lost a whopping 9lb!

Drink the water, keep to the cals, weigh everything and do some exercise and don't stop doing it. PLUS - don't overcomplicate things. I lost nearly 3 stone eating 1400 cals a day and burning 200 in cals each day. I had a steady 2lb loss every week unless I went over my calories or under on exercise. I didn't micro analyse everything I ate - I ate what I wanted within my calorie allowance weighing once a week on a Friday as soon as I got up (after a wee) and naked.

My insane interest in nutrition and exercise has come about from being so bloody vein now that I am slim!

This is also a great reply.

I have to say, though, when I can tell someone is from (I assume) the UK, I read the post in my head with a British accent. I do this when I read British novels, too. It makes things much more fun :)

Guilty as charged!
  • mgdiock
    mgdiock Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sodium intake coupled with your cycle can cause this. My wife has similar issues. Try to limit your weigh in to once a week + or - 2 lbs. of fluctuation any given day or two is normal as well. Also, I don't subscribe to the fact that you are "starving" yourself, but agree with others that you should be taking in close to your calorie allowance each day. Don't try to be a hare when it comes to weight loss. Be a tortoise. It took you a long time to get overweight. You cannot get skinny overnight. Stay the course.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    All things that these folks say about not eating your calories and blah blah. But also, with me anyhow, i tend to drop a lot of weight (like 5 lbs), and then in spite of my good eating habits and working out, etc, i will slowly gain back some of that over the next few weeks, until i have a big drop again that bypasses the first drop. I dont know why. But losing weight (at least for me), isn't a steady downhill drop of numbers, its the overall loss and the big picture.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    On a similar thread a while ago, someone suggested making a weight graph. Weight yourself often and record your weight in an Excel/Opencalc sheet. After some time, you will notice you weight fluctuates up and down on a daily/weekly basis. Some days you'll gain for no apparent reason but if you're watching what you eat, the overall line on your graph will be going down.

You can also do this in MFP by checking in more frequently. There are graphs under Reports of your weight loss.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    It's only been 12 days..... smh.
  • StaceyKeller71
    Options
    You're not eating enough?

agree

your body is not getting enough calories so every thing that you eat is being stored as fat because your body thinks its being starved
    eat more fruits and veggies

a body is not going to go into starvation mode in 2 weeks

That is my thought....it's only been two weeks. I'm not feeling hungry or deprived.....I just don't get it. I will increase my calories a little and see what happend.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    When you exercise, even if you eat correctly ie tally up the calories in versus out & maintain your deficit religiously, your muscles burn glycogen for fuel, in order to get ready for anticipated further demands they store replace thr glycogen expended but also strive to store as much as possible, this storage of glycogen requires water to be stored with it at a ration of 1 part glycogen 4 parts water, result instant weight gain but temporary!
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    Edit: Sorry, the post right ahead of me covered this! This is why I should take the time to read!

Sorry if this was mentioned already, I didn't read every reply. But you mention in your first post that you are sore from all the cleaning. That soreness means your muscles are retaining water to repair themselves. That alone can increase your weight temporarily. It should be back off in two to three days (maybe sooner, maybe slightly later). Just wanted to throw that out there as a possibility.
  • fitcounselor
    fitcounselor Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A few things could be happening - much has already been said already. 1. Your first week was mostly water weight. 2. Your sodium. 3. That time of the month. 4. once you strength train you may see temporary gains in weight, due mostly to soreness. I wrote about it (when I started a new program myself) - at http://thefitcounselor.com/my-personal-fitness-musings/p90x-turbofire-hybrid-workout/

Just keep it up! Don't get discouraged. You will move past it if you stay focused.
  • StaceyKeller71
    Options

I know it's only been 12 days however, the first two weeks is usually when I lose big amounts of weight. I have had difficulty losing weight before and I thought it was the diet I was following (belly fat cure - no tracking calories). I am just a little frustrated because I really didn't want to see the scale moving up especially when I'm being so vigilent with tracking my food. I know that I need to be patient but sometimes, that is hard to do.
  • lorals05
    Options
    I agree with the fact it's a combo between sodium intake and water intake. I have a hard time giving up the salty foods, but I drink so much water (it's the only thing I really drink besides coffee) and the days I've gone over the recommended sodium, it really shows. I retain all that water and then some. Now I rarely salt my food and when I do it is very lightly. I also no longer eat chips, salted nuts, etc so I can cut that much more out. I also have a large size family so it is in my genitics to be big-yet another reason for me to watch my levels. If you have cut the sodium, try to cut down on one glass of water a day and see if maybe you are drinking water to ward off food cravings :( also something I do often. Best of luck and keep up the good work!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I know it's only been 12 days however, the first two weeks is usually when I lose big amounts of weight. I have had difficulty losing weight before and I thought it was the diet I was following (belly fat cure - no tracking calories). I am just a little frustrated because I really didn't want to see the scale moving up especially when I'm being so vigilent with tracking my food. I know that I need to be patient but sometimes, that is hard to do.
    [/quote]

Just hang in there...you're doing great!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Dont fret! Your body can't keep up that type of weight loss. You may be burning fat, building muscle, redistributing, or you body can retain nutrients and water due to a shock of the original loss. Weight is something that is so variable, overanalyzing the day to day weight will just make you crazy.

As an example, I usually lose 1.5-2 pounds a week. There was a week that I exercised and stayed within my calories as usual, but due to the type of food I ate, stress, and the lack of sleep that I was receiving, I gained 4.5 pounds in a 4 days! It scared me! But there were other factors involved that caused my body to freak out. I got some sleep, kept on track and 3 days later I'm down 6 pounds from that. Did I really lose 6 pounds in 3 days? No. But it was still a loss from the week prior.

Keep to it. You will have big losses, and possibly gains. But it's the overall endpoint that matters. The important thing is to STAY ON TRACK regardless of what the scale says because you are making yourself healthy from the inside out! Don't worry, you can do it!
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    I have been on this better eating plan since October 24th. I am religiously tracking everything I put into my body. Last Sunday I had lost 9 pounds and was thrilled! I had one treat meal on Monday. I have been eating between 1000 and 1200 calories a day. Most days I come in just over 1000. Yesterday I came in at 1150. I have cut out soda completely but usually have one 0 calorie Kirkland's Vita Rain per day. I also drink at least 10 glasses of water a day.

I got on the scale yesterday and was up 1/2 a pound! So disappointing! I got on today and I've gained another pound! How is that even possible when I track everything I put in my mouth and sticking so closely to this plan?

I exercise but I have been more lax this week. I did spend 2 hours vigorously cleaning a rental house yesterday and am sore today because of it.

I just don't get it. This happened to me the last time I went on a diet but I though it was because I wasn't counting my calories. I was following belly fat cure and I know that I was eating a lot more calories than I am now.

Anyone else gone through this so early in the game? Anyone know why this might be happening?

ETA: The scale said 192 on Wednesday (nothing lost, nothing gained), 192.5 on Thursday, and 193.5 today! =(

Your body can't keep up that type of weight loss. You may be burning fat, building muscle, redistributing, or you body can retain nutrients and water due to a shock of the original loss. Weight is something that is so variable, overanalyzing the day to day weight will just make you crazy.

what other kinds of exercise are you doing?
    if your muscles are sore, they will try to repair themselves with additional blood and water and acids.
    A couple of weeks ago, I did some zero-bar squats, but at a completely different angle than what I had been working them at.
    then walking lunges. with 40-pounds.
    holy cow.
    my legs were sore for 6 days...so sore i could not sleep comfortably (or actually at all) and had to brace myself getting up and down.
    plus the scale showed i gained about 5 pounds.
    over night.
    but, after a week all that and 3 more pounds came off, cause i kept at the other parts of my body that needed working out and cardio. plus i went back and did those squats again!
    so basically, keep clam and carry on. as long as your macros and exercise are on track for a deficit, it works.
    :)
  • gleechick609
    Options

I can understand the impatience that you have but it takes your body 30 days to adapt to a new eating/exercise plan. You need to give it time and stop stressing. Stressing makes the scale go up. It took me 6 weeks to lose 2 lbs! 6 F@#$ING WEEKS! And then after that, it started coming off slowly every week. Sometimes, I went 2-3 weeks staying the same weight. Other weeks, I had big losses like 2-4 lbs! The 9 lbs is most likely the water weight that you body has been holding onto. When you drink all that water and change your eating habits (ie: No fast food, high sodium foods), your kidneys flush the sodium out of your system (which is a good thing!)

I didn't mean to come off sounding like a jerk but there are some people on here that get pissed when they don't lose a pound every day of the week. That is not how losing weight works. We didn't gain our weight overnight and we won't lose it over night either.

Please remember, "slow and steady wins the race." AND your body naturally fluctuates 5 lbs! Just keep doing what you are doing. Drink your water, eat breakfast (that starts your metabolism!), log your food, exercise 30 minutes 4-5 times a week, weigh yourself every 1-2 weeks. Don't stress.