just wanted to vent...

Options

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I could not be a server or waiter, I would probably stab someone with a fork. My minimum tip for anything is 5 dollars. I dont care if I ordered a cup of coffee its 5 bucks ! Unless of course the meal goes over 20% of 5 bucks then I usually tip 20-30%.

I have gone out to eat with friends/ family and I think the most embarrassing thing is when your with someone and they want to leave a terrible tip and make the "they get paid regardless statement".
    Well, they do get paid regardless. I never tip, as a rule. No one gives me a tip for doing their tax returns, no one tips my husband for fixing their machines. Its a job.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I could not be a server or waiter, I would probably stab someone with a fork. My minimum tip for anything is 5 dollars. I dont care if I ordered a cup of coffee its 5 bucks ! Unless of course the meal goes over 20% of 5 bucks then I usually tip 20-30%.

I have gone out to eat with friends/ family and I think the most embarrassing thing is when your with someone and they want to leave a terrible tip and make the "they get paid regardless statement".
    Well, they do get paid regardless. I never tip, as a rule. No one gives me a tip for doing their tax returns, no one tips my husband for fixing their machines. Its a job.

Do you realize that they get paid just maybe 2 dollars an hour and LIVE for the tips?? Wow!
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    In Australia tipping is not culturally expected, thankfully the staff are paid a good minimum wage. I usually tip at my regular favourite restaurants or else where only if the service is really good.

A question, in America, are the restaurant meals substantially cheaper given that the staff are paid a very low wage and are expected to rely on tips? If not, restuarant profit margins would be significantly higher than in Australia.

Am I right in understanding that in US, a when lodging a tax return is assumed that a waiter has earned a certain amount of tips even if they haven't received that amount of tips?
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    In Australia tipping is not culturally expected, thankfully the staff are paid a good minimum wage. I usually tip at my regular favourite restaurants or else where only if the service is really good.

A question, in America, are the restaurant meals substantially cheaper given that the staff are paid a very low wage and are expected to rely on tips? If not, restuarant profit margins would be significantly higher than in Australia.

Am I right in understanding that in US, a when lodging a tax return is assumed that a waiter has earned a certain amount of tips even if they haven't received that amount of tips?

I've never been to Australia, but I have been to a few countries, and the prices of restaurants varies vastly..so much so I cannot say for certain. There are plenty of very expensive restaurants, where it is still mandatory to tip.

It is expected to tip at least 10-15%, although I personally base my tip on service (thus 0-50% tip).
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options

AND this is why I always tip well. I watched a party (6 people at a table) run the server ragged ordering food, then complaining that they didn't know their food would be what they ordered :noway:, and then walk away from the table not leaving a dime. I called the server over and paid their tip, and my own tip. I was happy to turn the server's frown into a smile. They work hard, not to mention that they don't even get minimum wage.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The waiter/waitress tipping thing really irritates me.

PEOPLE, IF YOU CAN"T AFFORD TO TIP WELL, YOU CAN"T AFFORD TO GO OUT TO EAT. Simple as that.

We tip 20% always and if you're exceptional 30%

I waitressed for about 3 months and was never so miserable in my life. It is a very hard job.

As far as the photographer, I guess that's just part of the business. I know it stinks. People are crazy and have their own issues and there's nothing you can do about that. You did the right thing, give her a refund and no more pictures for her!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've been there, several times. I've been doing portraits since 2005 and work in a portrait studio for over a year now. Every young girl, woman or older female are all different. Some have accepted who they are and love themselves. Others, see nothing but their their faults. We, as photographers...you know, it's our job to tell them and remind them how pretty or beautiful they are-man or woman. I hear that alot. When I spend time on a subject, posing them and showing how to correct certain flaws, such broad shoulders, turkey chin...And explaining the process, showing them the difference between slouching and no smile and sitting up, shoulders back and a nice smile; that can make them feel confident. Help her see the value in the work you did for her as well

Personally I am always honest about people's pictures. And even if they come back saying "oh your just supposed to say that" I look them in the eyes and I tell them, "no, I am serious, you look pretty in this picture, look at that great smile and your hair looks good"...I know you're venting, but just try not to hold it against her.

Some things to keep in mind though, when you have a lady who's not open to being photographed, than "session plan". Ask questions about their favorites features. What they love the most about themselves and what kind of picture they want of them. Photographers can take lots of pictures and a woman might not like any of them. Been there too. Session planning will help you figure out what you should concentrate on. You probably already do this, but from you describing her as not wanting to smile, than that tells me she was probably nervous, uncomfortable, wasn't sure how to tell you how she really want it done.

Taking portraits is rough sometimes. good luck :)

Thank you! Those are some very good tips! :)
  • SinIsIn
    Options
    Maybe it's the type of complaining about herself because shes just attention seeking , if she didn't like the pictures just take them of your site and save the drama, how nice of you not even to charge her but yet she complains! Blah I swear you cant please everyone no matter how you try

That's what my husband was saying. I mean the girl has a billion and 1 pix of herself on her facebook and 5000 friends. I think she is just used to taking self cellphone bathroom pix that this is different for her? Everyone knows what angles highlight their best features... I tried... but oh well.. on to the next one! :)
  • SinIsIn
    Options
    I do photography as a hobby on the weekends. I have a mini studio at home. Anyway I photographed this girl a couple weeks ago and I'm posting up her pix....and all she's doing is b!tching about how horrible she looks. I mean I'm not going to post pix that are ugly. She's a cute girl..just didn't want to smile ...anyway....she's just complaining and its pissing me off..so I thought I'd complain about her complaining. Lol....I'm just not going to edit anymore ...I mean I didn't even charge her. Blah....

Anyway ....anyone else got something to vent about?

You have a lot of patience, if I were good at using photoshopped I would make her look a lot uglier =P

LOL
  • kylataff
    kylataff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK, and here also, tipping is not expected thank goodness
    . As another person said - I dont get tipped for doing my job and minimum wage in the UK is equivalent to $10/hour in the US. If someone is exceptionally helpful I will tip, but not for just doing the job they are already paid to do.
  • SinIsIn
    Options
    I live in the UK, and here also, tipping is not expected thank goodness
    . As another person said - I dont get tipped for doing my job and minimum wage in the UK is equivalent to $10/hour in the US. If someone is exceptionally helpful I will tip, but not for just doing the job they are already paid to do.

Whoa! I need to go work in the UK!
  • kylataff
    Options
    Really?
    Is that considered a really good minimum wage then? It is a lot more expensive to live here though. Petrol at the moment is £1.40 a litre (thats $2.23 ) I think its a lot cheaper in the US yes?
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

PEOPLE, IF YOU CAN"T AFFORD TO TIP WELL, YOU CAN"T AFFORD TO GO OUT TO EAT. Simple as that.

If your income relies on you hoping other people giving you free money they're not at all required to give...maybe you're in the wrong business?

Maybe try a different job, or quit complaining?

I'll never understand why people are so miserable or get mad at others yet stick with it.................................

You realize it's a choice.

They have the choice to tip, and you have the choice to be complainy and stay?

Good luck with your give-me-money-even-though-you-dont-have-to-so-i-can-be-happy goals of 2011.

:)
  • SinIsIn
    Options
    Really?
    Is that considered a really good minimum wage then? It is a lot more expensive to live here though. Petrol at the moment is £1.40 a litre (thats $2.23 ) I think its a lot cheaper in the US yes?

Nope, I fueled up today at $3.31... and minimum wage here I think is $7.50...or around there... im not quite sure...but i've been working at my company for 8 years and I still haven't broken $10 an hour. :grumble:
  • stampede55
    Options

If your income relies on you hoping other people giving you free money they're not at all required to give...maybe you're in the wrong business?

Maybe try a different job, or quit complaining?

I'll never understand why people are so miserable or get mad at others yet stick with it.................................

You realize it's a choice.

They have the choice to tip, and you have the choice to be complainy and stay?

Good luck with your give-me-money-even-though-you-dont-have-to-so-i-can-be-happy goals of 2011.

:)
    People that don't tip are d*cks plain and simple. I hope somebody spits in your food.
  • kylataff
    Options
    Wow, had no idea wages were so low in US, we're lead to believe that you pay next to nothing for food and petrol , was that $3.31 a Litre or a gallon. cos I thought it was per gallon in the US which would make it $5.30 a gallon. Whatever its still a rip off!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I do photography as a hobby on the weekends. I have a mini studio at home. Anyway I photographed this girl a couple weeks ago and I'm posting up her pix....and all she's doing is b!tching about how horrible she looks. I mean I'm not going to post pix that are ugly. She's a cute girl..just didn't want to smile ...anyway....she's just complaining and its pissing me off..so I thought I'd complain about her complaining. Lol....I'm just not going to edit anymore ...I mean I didn't even charge her. Blah....

Anyway ....anyone else got something to vent about?

Since you're a hobbyist and didn't charge her, I highly doubt the photos were amazing. Should she be complaining to you? Probably not.

But you complaining here doesn't make it better.

And how unprofessional of you to complain about a client because they were not pleased. Offer a re-shoot, or to do some creative editing.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    A tip is a gift & like all gift, should never be expected.
  • kimletton11
    kimletton11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Wow! This is why I no longer work in a restaurant, because of ignorance.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Wow, had no idea wages were so low in US, we're lead to believe that you pay next to nothing for food and petrol , was that $3.31 a Litre or a gallon. cos I thought it was per gallon in the US which would make it $5.30 a gallon. Whatever its still a rip off!

That would be $3.31/gallon.

10 years ago I waited tables and was paid $2.85/hour plus tips. The computer system we used when we clocked out asked us what we made in tips... the system assumed a certain percentage of your sales, and you were supposed to adjust it to whatever your actual tips were. You were then taxed on that amount... which meant that no one actually reported what they earned in tips unless they had a weird day and earned less than the assumed amount.