On a secret mission...

Options
iRun4wine
iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
I'm bringing dessert on Easter and I want to make something very healthy without necessarily advertising it. In other words, I want to make something yummy but healthy rather than something that screams HEALTHY in a no flavor, ew gross, "i think i'll pass" type of way... hope that makes sense. I'm thinking something involving fruit and cool whip- anyone have any thoughts? :smile:

Replies

• iRun4wine
    Options
    I'm bringing dessert on Easter and I want to make something very healthy without necessarily advertising it. In other words, I want to make something yummy but healthy rather than something that screams HEALTHY in a no flavor, ew gross, "i think i'll pass" type of way... hope that makes sense. I'm thinking something involving fruit and cool whip- anyone have any thoughts? :smile:
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Angel food is significantly lower in calories than other cake/desserts. You can buy a pre made angel food cake and serve it with fresh strawberries (blend and add some splenda for sweetness), and cool whip free. Yum!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    OOoooOOOooooooo...

Sounds yummy- thanks! :happy:
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Try www.cookinglight.com
    I cook recipes from that website (and the Cooking Light magazine) all the time. The dishes are healthy but never taste like "health food." Everything I've made from Cooking Light is really yummy! And none of the recipies are too complicated either! :smile:

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • nwfamilygal
    nwfamilygal Posts: 635
    Options
    Bananna split dessert
    2 c. reduced-fat graham cracker crumbs(about 32 squares)
    5 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine, melted
    1 can (12 ounces) cold reduced-fat evaporated milk
    1/4 c. cold fat-free milk
    2 pkgs. (1 ounce each) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
    2 medium firm bananas, sliced
    1 can(20 ounce) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
    1 carton (8 ounce) reduced-fat frozen whipped topping, thawed
    3 T. chopped walnut
    3 T. chocolate syrup
    5 maraschino cherries, quartered
    Combine cracker crumbs and margarine, press onto the bottom of a 13"x 9"x2" dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. In a bowl, whisk the evaportated milk, fat-free milk and pudding mixes for 2 mintues or until slightly thickened. Spread pudding evenly over crust. Layer with bananas,pineapple and whipped topping. sprinkle with nuts,drizzle with chocolate syrup. Top with cherries Referigerate for 1 hr. before cutting. yeild 15 servings.
    Nutritional Analysis: one piece equals 194 cal. 6g. fat ( 3 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 312 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
    Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat

I got this out of Taste of Home
    This is very good and I took this to a football party and teenagers ate three or four pieces. I told them they are going to get sick eating so much of it. But it is really good. Hope this helps. :bigsmile:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    How about a really pretty bowl full of fruit - strawberries, other berries, banana slices, melon, etc. Serve with whipped cream or sweetened cream cheese & let everyone make their own fruit sundae.
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Options
    love these ideas... especially the banana split dessert!

Another idea is the "diet Soda Cake" -- see page 3 of this recipe section...
    I have always made the regular cola version (Sundrop cake), and for Easter, might make the lemon version (lemon cake mix, lemon pudding, lemon-lime soda). My DH and rest of family loves this cake.. so moist. Quick and easy to make too! And, lots of great suggestions in that post to make it low fat. I also like to make mine in a bundt pan, and found with just a little graze on top, it tastes great -- no need for heavy frostings!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. It all sounds wonderful... now I have quite the decision to make! :smile: