Housework IS Exercise! Some credit please!

Options
As a stay at home mom who washes windows, vacuums, does 12-15 loads of laundry a week etc. you know the drill whether you are the weekend warrior or wage the battle on grime daily, how about some execise values for housework? Can I enter these myself or could they become part of our exercise choices?
Would appreciate some help with this! :smile:
Thanks!

Replies

• Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    As a stay at home mom who washes windows, vacuums, does 12-15 loads of laundry a week etc. you know the drill whether you are the weekend warrior or wage the battle on grime daily, how about some execise values for housework? Can I enter these myself or could they become part of our exercise choices?
    Would appreciate some help with this! :smile:
    Thanks!
  • redlion54
    Options
    Actually, housework is in the exercise database. If you click add exercise under the Cardiovascular section, it is in there. Just do a search for cleaning. There is both light and vigorous in their. I log it in sometimes. As a SAHM myself, some of the typical day to day stuff is already accounted for in my activity level. When I do beyond the normal routine, I log it in. There are days I break more of a sweat cleaning than jogging on my treadmill.
  • mkklutts
    mkklutts Posts: 13
    Options
    I do the same. My activity level is set to high because when I am at work I am very active, so I normally do not count housework on my days off, because it isn't any more strenous than being at work. However, there are a few instances when I go above and beyond at home, then I count part of it. I would just base it on what you have your activity level set at. If you have your level set at sedentary, count everything. If your level is active I would say most of your housework is already included in calories burned per day. You don't want to account for your calories burned twice or the system won't be accurate.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I'm set as seditary so I count serious house work. I really needed it yesterday after the Easter feast of chocolate and cake

Anne
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm also a stay at home mom. I count housework and laundry as daily activity.
  • SayshaMarie
    Options
    Honestly, to burn fat you need to sustain a heart rate between 55 to 75 percent of your maximum heart rate capacity. You also need to maintain this for longer than 20 minutes(it takes that long for the body to reach an oxidative state. So although housework is great as a daily activity, it really isn't the most optimal cardiovascular activity. Running, cycling with resistance or swimming laps would be more effective.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I consider it daily activity, too.

I was cleaning "before" and it wasn't doing me any good... what makes me think it is doing any good now?:wink:
  • farmerguy
    Options
    Thanks all! i appreciate the input! I am figuring some of this out. I did give myself a little credit for the outdoor window wahing and trucking plants around the yard for planting. Let hope the weather copperates and we have a beautiful Easter. Happy Easter! OOps I accidentally sent this under my Hubbies name so Farmer guys wife thanks all of you!
  • leeanne1317
    Options
    If nothing else I certainly count spring and fall cleaning as exercise, finished mine about two weeks ago and hurt for three days lol.

Best thing is to put on some energy music when cleaning, doing a bit of a jig while cleaning is fun and helps pass the time :bigsmile: