Sushi?

Options
Hi Everyone, I am looking for some advice.

I am going out to an all u can eat sushi place for dinner tonight with some friends and need some advice on what to eat. I am getting alot of conflicting search results so I thought I would reach out and ask all MFPers for some guideance. I know the obvious (stay away from the fried stuff) but what is the best bang for my calorie/soudum buck? I will have about 900 calories to work with.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i would eat whatever you like and not worry about cals or sodium or anything, enjoy yourself and get on track tomorrow.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    i would eat whatever you like and not worry about cals or sodium or anything, enjoy yourself and get on track tomorrow.

^^This

If it's all you can eat, it's probably all rolls. Get nigiri if you can or sashimi would be even better (less or no rice/more fish)

Regardless, you should eat, drink sake and enjoy yourself - and get back on track tomorrow!
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    ooohhhh, love sushi. just don't go overboard. you'll be fine. enjoy!!!

if it's a good place they should have both the regular and reduced sodium soy. you can ask...but if it's anything like the places around here they won't speak english and you'll get that blank doe in the headlights just smile and be pretty look...
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I say just enjoy your meal.

As for sodium, use the low sodium soy sauce most places offer.
  • SueN113
    Options
    Definately go for the sashimi if you can, the less rice the better. I love sashimi!
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I always get the sashimi and if I find a roll I really like then I would just eat everything but the rice. Also use the low sodium soy sauce, I find it tastes better anyways. mmmm sushi
  • lucyd12
    Options
    Sushi is 100% my favourite food. Sashimi is probably the best bet in terms of low cal, however if you don't eat the dishes you want you won't be satisfied, so enjoy! and don't hold back too much.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Now I'm hungry for sushi! When I go I just try not to over eat. I don't get sushi often, so I always make sure I'm enjoying every bite.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Generally the All You Can Eat sushi places do not include sashimi in that deal, and most I have seen will not serve you more if you don't eat the rice (it is a cost effectiveness thing) That said, MFP has some data on various sushi - check out your faves and go from there. (If they will give you sashimi, rock it, more fish, less white rice! - if not, check if they have brown rice as an option, it is a little better for you!)

If you are worried about the contents of their soy sauce, take your own. I know that sounds really dodgey, but as someone who is allergic to wheat, I can only have Tamari - wheat free soy, and very few places carry it. Since they don't charge for soy sauce, they generally don't care if you supply your own - and then you know what it is.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I have all you can eat Sushi every now and then. I eat whatever I damn well please and regret nothing! I do run a bit extra on the days I'm doing it but going over is not a concern :)
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your responces, i am going to take your advice and go for the sashimi, and try to aviod the rice. I do plan on indulging in the spicy crisy salmon roll (its my fav), and i know they have the low sodium soy sauce, but i will so go easy on that.

Actually looking forward to it now, thanks again everyone :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That's definitely the one to pick if you're going to indulge, IMHO - soooooo yummy!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating rice when eating sushi, since technically "sushi" is the rice, and not the fish. Mixing protein and rice together negates any blood sugar spikes the rice on its own may give. So don't worry about it, just enjoy it. And brown rice is not actually healthier.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    my guess is that you could not order the all you can eat and instead order some sashimi off their regular menu.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating rice when eating sushi, since technically "sushi" is the rice, and not the fish. Mixing protein and rice together negates any blood sugar spikes the rice on its own may give. So don't worry about it, just enjoy it. And brown rice is not actually healthier.

brown rice is not healthier than white? got a link to that info? everything i have ever read says the exact opposite.
  • Emi_Pie
    Options
    fill up on miso soup (35 calories per serving) and seaweed salad if they have it. Both very low calorie and delicious!

Try to avoid fried sushi or sushi with cream cheese inside or mayonnaise-based sauces on top.

Other than that, you should be good. Enjoy!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

brown rice is not healthier than white? got a link to that info? everything i have ever read says the exact opposite.

I don't have the link off hand, but studies have been linked to in these forums before. Here's the thing, from a strict nutritional standpoint, brown has a very slight nutritional advantage, but they are pretty much identical. Unfortunately, that's where most people stopped reading and started shouting from the rooftops that brown rice is better than white. If you look into it from the human standpoint, that's when you start realizing that because of the hull on the brown rice being indigestible, a vast majority of the nutrients are blocked from absorption by the body. So while a nutrition label may say brown rice has a few more of certain vitamins, when you actually eat it, you get more nutrition from the white rice, and the brown rice ends up being mostly empty calories.

Now the white rice spiking blood sugar more than brown rice is true, as long as you only eat the rice by itself and eat no other food with it. In the case of nigiri, or a sushi roll, you are combining the rice with a protein source, and in that case, blood sugar effects are the same with either rice.

Also, don't fill up too much on miso soup, low calorie yes, but very high sodium, as dashi is very high in sodium, and miso paste is also very high in sodium.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    interesting. thanks for the info. in general though it seems like the less we process food the better it is for us.
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    900 calories! You'll be fine. When I get a phili roll it is about 400 calories for the whole thing (8-9 pieces). Spicy tuna is about 300. Definitely avoid the fried rolls and stock up on edamame for an extra protein kick. Follow up with lots of water tomorrow to help flush the extra sodium from your body. The ginger and soy sauce will leave a sodium mark no matter how sparingly you eat them.

And most importantly, enjoy. Now I think I just decided what is for dinner tonight. :love: