How do i figure my husband's activity level?

Options
So, my husband is a working cowboy...meaning, he spends some days on a tractor most of the day, some days riding at a trot most of the day, some days pulling fenceposts, building fence, etc. Most days its a combination.
Example:
*load salt/mineral blocks (40 lbs each, 50-70 blocks) take them out on his truck, unload in various pastures- takes 2 hours
*feed the cows hay with truck or tractor - 1 hour
*build fence - 4-6 hours

He never exercises, per se, but I am just wondering what activity level you all would use for this?

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    At a guess I would say "Very Active". He could try that for a little while and if it doesn't seem to be working maybe take it down to "Active". But it sounds like he is doing hard physical work for most of the day.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Honestly unless he's adding in any type of extra fitness activities that he hasn't been performing for the past however many years I wouldn't add it in. His current weight is already calculated in with his lifestyle of working on the farm therefore adding that in to give him extra daily calories wouldn't really help. I would just set his work activity to the busiest one they have and leave it at that.
  • michellevt725
    michellevt725 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My husband is a dairy farmer and active all day long (4am-7:30pm) the other day I set him up an account on here to see what he is eating etc. We put him in the highest activity level. We then logged his food in for the day and he was something like 2500 or 3000 calories over. He is losing weight currently so I think MFP is way under estimating what he needs. Maybe you could log his food in for a few days, see what he is eating average for calories and then cut out 500 calories a day and see how that goes?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    With a tape measurer or ruler, set the base of the device at the surface level of the couch cushion. Measure the butt-print and subtract from 1.5

=)
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    ranch work in general is really active. even if you average the tractor days with riding days, hes likely very active. Farm work is physical work, good stuff.
  • aranchmom
    aranchmom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My husband is a dairy farmer and active all day long (4am-7:30pm) the other day I set him up an account on here to see what he is eating etc. We put him in the highest activity level. We then logged his food in for the day and he was something like 2500 or 3000 calories over. He is losing weight currently so I think MFP is way under estimating what he needs. Maybe you could log his food in for a few days, see what he is eating average for calories and then cut out 500 calories a day and see how that goes?
    Oh, thats a good idea! I never thought of that, thanks!
  • aranchmom
    Options
    With a tape measurer or ruler, set the base of the device at the surface level of the couch cushion. Measure the butt-print and subtract from 1.5

=)

aahahaha!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Honestly unless he's adding in any type of extra fitness activities that he hasn't been performing for the past however many years I wouldn't add it in. His current weight is already calculated in with his lifestyle of working on the farm therefore adding that in to give him extra daily calories wouldn't really help. I would just set his work activity to the busiest one they have and leave it at that.
    She was asking about where to set the activity level... not whether to count his daily activities as exercise...
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    So, my husband is a working cowboy...

LOL..that sounds very sexy :love:
  • aranchmom
    Options

I agree - i def don't want to add every activity every day. Good idea. Thanks.
  • aranchmom
    Options
    So, my husband is a working cowboy...

LOL..that sounds very sexy :love:

oooh, it is! LOL! :heart: :love: :heart: :happy:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    easy answer: let him do it.
  • michellevt725
    michellevt725 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My husband scoffed at having to give up his WHOLE sleeve of ritz crackers and only eating a half a sleeve. Now, he isn't the skinniest guy in the world. He has his belly and his love handles but he isn't obese by any means. The guy wonders why I spend so much money on food. Dude, you eat enough for three people everyday! ;)
  • aranchmom
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for the suggestions, people! I am glad he asked me to help him lose weight - so I am happy to do his logging, etc, if it makes it easier for him. I just wasn't sure where to start, i guess.