Food at the Movies

Options
2»

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go, with the kids, a date, on my own....always eat something first and take water. Saves a TON of money these days.
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You know, with a few of you saying you don't eat anything at the theater, I think I might try it tonight. Usually I bring my own snacks so I don't look twice at the concessions but testing the ol' will power tonight will be a nice challenge.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    My movie theater knows me now. So i get the biggest plastic cup and fill it with ice. Its all ineed during the movie. But occasionally Ill get a small pack of twizzlers or gummy bears and split them with the kids. trust me sharing with 2 kids means I usually only get 4 pieces of whatever kinda candy it is.lol:laugh:
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Popcorn is a huge part of the cinema experience for me. in fact, I have plenty of times gone to the cinema for the popcorn and experience without knowing what movie is even in!

So, for me, I'm not going to forgo this forever. So, I've adjusted. I've changed from a large to a small popcorn and from coke to diet. Not exactly good for me, but better for me and a change I can live with. Yeah, I might go over on my cals, or I might save some from the rest of the day, but what harm.

Lifestyle change rather than diet means this works for me. Trying to cut it out would simply have me counting down to when the 'diet' was over and I don't want to do that.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Have you ever gotten kicked out of the theater for doing this?
    For bringing my own snacks? I've heard that it's frowned upon, but I've never had an usher bust me for having my own ziploc bags. Everything is hidden in my purse when I enter and I take it out when the lights dim. It's what my Mom always did ;).
    Just wondering... I have taken things in but the theater we go to now doesn't care, they will let people walk in with take-out plates! But at the place we used to go to, they would try to see in your purse, and I did see them throw someone out once.
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat while at the movie theater, but if I do I'll bring something low-cal: Diet soda, baked or kettle-cooked chips, and sugar free candy, sometimes nuts, raisins, or dried fruit.

I tend to eat mindlessly when I'm watching a movie so for me personally it's better if I don't have anything in my hands! :tongue:
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just wondering... I have taken things in but the theater we go to now doesn't care, they will let people walk in with take-out plates! But at the place we used to go to, they would try to see in your purse, and I did see them throw someone out once.

I think it's really foolish of theaters to punish their customers for bringing in food. If it was a historic theatre and NO concessions were sold to keep the facilities cleaner, I would most certainly understand. But commercial theaters only get on people about food because that's where they make most of their money. Pretty much the entire ticket price goes back to the source. Still, it's better to lose the concession profit than to lose the customer and anyone they might bring with them.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am going to the movies tonight also! My son actually works at the theatre, and his immediate family can get in for free! He has worked there since last april and I have not taken advantage yet!! stupid i know :huh:
    As far as food, I will be eating dinner first......and my husband I am sure will be getting some popcorn, so I will just nibble a bit of his (not a huge popcorn fan)....and will try not to get a box of candy :)
  • cottonpunk
    cottonpunk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    But at the place we used to go to, they would try to see in your purse, and I did see them throw someone out once.
    [/quote]

That stinks....seems a little harsh! Do they have signs up that forbid it? If I don't see a sign, I assume it's okay. :-)
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I skip dinner (baaaaad) and have pick n mix or popcorn instead! :) I'm lucky enough that where I live movie popcorn is air-popped so the calorie count is still reasonable.

I do this too! My mom loves movie popcorn so when we go together we will usually just skip dinner and eat the popcorn...I know its bad but oh well.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I always get raisinets. They aren't awesome for you, but I love them and they are lower cal than the giant thing of popcorn I sometimes get
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I avoid the concession stand not only because of the calories, but also the expense! It already costs $25.50 for the tickets for me and the kids (they are 12 and 13 now, so I have to pay adult price for them!). Add concessions and you're talking easily $50-60 for a trip to the movies. So I get my nice BIG purse and load it up with snacks. Bottled water for all of us, candy for the kids (they'd rather have that than popcorn), and something yummy but low-cal for me (depending on my mood). We usually go to an early movie for the matinee prices, so we've usually just had lunch and will have dinner after the movie.
  • galaxyfun1
    Options
    I went to the movies the other week and took a bag of grapes. They are small so no one really noticed I wasn't eating lollies and because they are sweet I felt I got my sugar fix as well. I found I really didn't mind not having the chocolate and popcorn as long as I snacked on something. :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has been itching to go to a movie with me and tonight's the night. We'll probably see "In Time" or "Tower Heist" ;).

Part of the movie going experience for me is having a nice snack to munch on while I watch. The problem is, theater popcorn is hardly good for you.

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200911182.html
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20091119/movie-theater-popcorn-a-calorie-bomb

If I indulged in a bag, even sharing with the boyfriend, I'd about bust my entire daily allotted calories! So I'll be bringing some of my own homemade popcorn, and bottled water in my bag. I might even splurge and buy a box of Mike and Ike, if I can "afford" it.

What do you do when you go the movies? Do you eat from the concession or bring your own goodies?

We have a small local owned theatre-group that my company provides a full menu line of awesome food to dine with, an almost full bar as well in each theatre. You have to arrive within 75 minutes of the movie airing to get a seat to begin with. You are given the specials, the drink specials, the menu and the dessert menu as well. You enjoy a freshly cooked meal, and then by the time you are done, the movie begins! You sit in reclining Lincoln Continental chair and relax while you enjoy the movie.... ITS AWESOME!

We always have salads and healthy appetizer choices on the menu for anyone to have - fresh made to order to!

I get free meals and movies when I work that contract.... YEAH BABY!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I can't NOT get popcorn at the theater...I have to! I'll take my own bottle of water, but I will get a small popcorn, no butter. I don't go that often, so it's not a big deal to me!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Movie snacks have gotten so expensive I feel no guilt sneaking in my pre-popped bag of microwave popcorn.
  • j4zzy
    j4zzy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually bring yogurt covered raisins.