Tall chicks?

Options
Hey there!
Just wondering if there are any tall girls out there who want to be 'friends'. I am 6'2" and I weigh 193lbs. I think we could support each other for similar reasons.
I used to hate telling people how much I weighed, even when I was 'skinnier" (170lbs). Admitting my weight to people always comes with a glance from them which include a foot to head judgment, or a 'you weigh how much?" kind of comment. I know there are many women out there who would love to weigh 190lbs. This by no means is a slight to them. It’s just really hard when to be classified as a normal weight (by BMI calculations) you need to be between 145 and 195lbs.
It's also difficult (to me anyways) to see what other people weigh. Friends and family who would be considered the same 'healthy-ness' or 'fluffy-ness' physically as me weigh around 150lbs. So in my eyes, I have to carry an extra 40lbs just because I am tall? Makes me feel 'fatter' than I actually am.
Anyways, I just thought I'd put that out there... I'd love to be part of your support group and be your friend, tall or short, skinny or not. Add me if you like... after all; we are all trying to achieve the same thing...!

Replies

• cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm not 6'2, but I am 5'8... I don't know if I'm tall enough :(
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 as well...until I put on my 4inch heels ;)
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Nice =)

I'm 6'2. But I'm male =D
  • Staceyblewin
    Staceyblewin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2'' and when I was 13, I was basically a full grown woman. I weighed 175lbs and people would always call me a big girl. It really messed with my head and allowed me to become complacient with being a "big girl." Unfortunately I let it spiral out of control and am now 16 years older weighing more then double that.

It's hard being tall, weighing a large number. It can be very confusing.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am tall at 5'9", although not as tall as you. Personally I think you look great in your profile picture. I get a shocked face too when I say how much I weigh because I carry it differently but I still feel like poo about myself. I would say, throw out that ******** bmi. All of our bodies are different and shouldn't be compared on the same scale. Weight lifters are considered obese because of the amount of muscle they have. Work out because you feel good doing it, not to meet someone else's expectations. :)
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Im 5'9"
  • tgumeebee
    tgumeebee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i am 5'11" and weigh 178lbs. I am trying to lose another 20lbs or so. I was 156lbs just a couple of years ago and looked pretty good though I needed to do some toning.
  • littlewrists
    Options
    I'm not a tall chick but most of my friends are shorter than me and my large frame means I also carry more weight. So, my friends are all getting close to 100lbs and I'm stuck up here at 118 and feel pretty huge :(
  • meltdownvixen
    Options
    I'm 6 feet tall. Right now I weight 185lbs and I'm working to loose about 20 lbs. Would love to get to 165 lbs. I got to 169 lbs before and loved the way I looked.
  • DASHoag
    DASHoag Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am only 5'8" but am firm and weigh way more than most people think. When my weight went up I paniced at nearing 200# and don't relate to the 120 pounders who are much shorter. For me, 140# is skin and bones so I do relate but maybe not to the same extreme. On teh bright side, we can carry the weight differently and people have no idea we do weigh as much!!
  • I thought I was tall....until now! hehe! I'm 5'9. Feel free to add me if you want! :-)
  • kiki75243
    kiki75243 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 I always thought I was tall too...lol
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    Hey there!
    Just wondering if there are any tall girls out there who want to be 'friends'. I am 6'2" and I weigh 193lbs. I think we could support each other for similar reasons.
    I used to hate telling people how much I weighed, even when I was 'skinnier" (170lbs). Admitting my weight to people always comes with a glance from them which include a foot to head judgment, or a 'you weigh how much?" kind of comment. I know there are many women out there who would love to weigh 190lbs. This by no means is a slight to them. It’s just really hard when to be classified as a normal weight (by BMI calculations) you need to be between 145 and 195lbs.
    It's also difficult (to me anyways) to see what other people weigh. Friends and family who would be considered the same 'healthy-ness' or 'fluffy-ness' physically as me weigh around 150lbs. So in my eyes, I have to carry an extra 40lbs just because I am tall? Makes me feel 'fatter' than I actually am.
    Anyways, I just thought I'd put that out there... I'd love to be part of your support group and be your friend, tall or short, skinny or not. Add me if you like... after all; we are all trying to achieve the same thing...!

I'm 5'11 and i LOVELOVELOVE being tall.
    tall rules
    i can help all the short old ladies in the store with things from the top shelf
    my skinny jeans look abso-freaking-lutely fabulous
    i have way more real estate on which to paint with muscles
    i have less competition in the tall figure division of the bb shows :D:D:D:D:D
    i can look most people in teh eye...men included. a huge advantage in most situations.
    and
    well, tall RAWKS
    i'm currently at 150, down from 242 last year.
  • shantelleclarke
    Options
    lol... all you people asking if you're tall enough?!?!? Of course you are! Friends are friends, support is support! The basis of my message was to see if there was any other tall chick out there experiencing the same thing as me... I'll support each and every one of you!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and for women 5'9 and up is so tall... It makes it hard becuase the average height for men is 5'9 :/ ..... But I would love to help support you. One thing about tall women is that our weight is spread out so it may sometimes doesn't seem we need to lose much but we do and so it's hard to tell if your losing much or not. There are tons of tall women here on MFP and we will be happy to support you :)
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Im 6'0" and love it!!
  • laurielou04
    laurielou04 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    hey! I am 6 ft. ill send ya a request! :)
  • jenniferhe
    jenniferhe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm also 6'2" & actually have 2 sisters around 6'3 & 6'4. So actually I am short in my family but I can relate to what you are saying :)

Height and weight for taller women is very different than say an average woman (no offense to those who are of average height) Those of us who are tall will never be a size 3 or 4 or 120 lbs. That would be back say in elementary school but that's the only time. I've had to come to grips with being ok with my height and comfortable that a healthy weight and size will not be what is considered normal for other people. As for the whole BMI, I think it can be some what of a guide but be careful. 6'2 and 145 lbs is not the most healthy when say you are a larger framed woman. I'm shooting for about 180 for my lowest right now. I got down to 155 in high school and it really messed things up in regards to my period and hormones.

As for comparing your self to other that's easy to do but realize size and weight is different for everyone and you are not alone. At 6' and above we are going to carry a little more weight mainly because our bone structure is going to weigh more than average persons because there is more of it. With that we need more muscle to move our bones.

Anyways, I am glad you posted on here b/c we all have our different struggles and we do all want to support one another. Feel free to add me as a friend and message me any time. :) Blessings to you from another tall woman :)
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    6' tall here and damn proud of it! And don't worry about how much you weigh, or what other people think of your weight. You're tall and most likely quite muscular. Embrace those legs, girl!!
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    5'9" and I definitely say throw out that BMI crap. Also, anyone who says that at 5'9", I should be at 145 +/- 6 lbs can play in traffic. 145 lbs (or even 151 lbs) on my frame would not look healthy.

I'm 175 these days and looking to lose another 7-10 lbs (started at 183). The good thing about being tall is that you can carry weight a lot better than petite frames! The bad thing is that people sometimes focus on the number (ohmigawd, you weigh 45 more lbs than me) without taking into account the fact that you're a good 6 inches taller than 'em as well! Good luck in your journey! :D