1/2 marathon?!?

Options
I have been almost talked into trying my first 1/2 marathon next fall. Where do I start? I have done several 5K's already but wow...13.1 miles is a bit over-whelming! How much do I increase what I am already doing and how fast do I increase it? I have basically exactically one year to get ready. Weight training is, unfortunately, not an option right now so I am limited to what I can do outside or videos. I have several friends that run but they are in awesome shape - always have been and always will be. I, however, an not in awesome shape. I have really impressed myself with what I have done so far and I would love to try a half but I am worried that I won't be able to finnish.

Replies

• Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    MARATHONROOKIE.COM

They have an excellent half marathon training schedule.
    Go for it. You will be so glad you did!
  • sandyg410
    sandyg410 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try a walk/run training program to start with. You can search for them from running coaches online (ex Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway programs). A usual program is 12 weeks so you have more than enough time to build up to it and then even start on a full run program. Just take it slow but be consistent!
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I trained with Team in Traning several times- their schedule is basicallt this: run/walk 3 miles 3 times per week- on your 4th training that week, add a mile- do that distance for 2-3 weeks (depending on how long you have) and then add another mile- like this-

m- 3 miles
    w- 3 miles
    f- 3 miles
    Sat- 4 miles

m- 3 miles
    w- 3 miles
    f- 3 miles
    Sat- 4 miles

m- 3 miles
    w- 3 miles
    f- 3 miles
    Sat- 5 miles

they also tell you not to run your emtire 13.1 miles before the race- the most we ever did before was 11 miles...

Good luck, and let me me know if you ahve any questions- I've done at least 10 1/2 marathons and a full marathon, and I am not a serious runner...

:)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I came home after my first 5k and immediately started looking for a half marathon to do: I was hooked. My next 2 races were a 10 miler and a half marathon, both less than 6 months later. That was quite a jump distance wise though and may not be for everyone. You may want to begin "ramping" up your distance now and start looking for some longer distance races (like 10k, 15k or 10 milers) prior to commiting to the half.

There are all sorts of training programs out there, for any level of runner. I particularly like runnersworld.com: they now have a great iphone training app too. And the best part is that many of them are free.

Good luck!!
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree! You can do it. It's really good that you have a lot of time to think about it and train. Contrary to what carriem73 said, when I trained, I did my own half marathon a few weekends before to reassure myself I would be able to do it. But I guess that is a personal preference. Also, I only set a goal to finish, not necessarily jog the whole way, so I was really proud to finish. Also, perhaps try a 10k in advance, and work your way up building your confidence. I believe it could be 98% confidence in order to finish. It was for me anyways.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has a novice program you can get for free. Just google search his name.

Here's the deal ... if I can do a half ANYONE can! You'll finish. No need to worry about that. Walking is allowed. :wink:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks. I used the Hall Higdon app. It has helped me in so many ways. It takes about 12 weeks. I am not worried about my time, just to complete it. It comes at the right time because I will also be running a 15K in December, then another half marathon in March.

After the holidays are done, I will be using his marathon app to train for my first marathon at the end of April. I am excited for that.

You can do it.
  • TiaUti
    TiaUti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes...you can most definitely do it and you have plenty of time to SLOWLY build up your mileage. I like the training plans by Hal Higdon. Check out his site for a free schedule for a novice runner. Half marathons are a blast...lots of other people out there just like you, lots of support, something to brag about when you finish, and a t-shirt to prove it!