Incorrect Nutritional Information

Options
I love the fact that we can enter a food and MFP will provide the nutritional information on that food for us to enter into our food diaries....However, I am finding that a LOT of calorie and nutritional information that has been entered by individuals is incorrect...I am now making it a habit of checking the nutritional data before I log it into my food diary...Some items I have seen have been off by a mere 10 calories, however, to some of us every calorie counts...There are other items that I noticed that are off by more than 50 calories or more, plus some that don't show the fat content or even the ever important sugar and sodium...I have been editing the mistakes that I find, but it is somewhat frustrating...I would encourage everyone if you aren't already, to check the nutritional data for yourselves so that you don't unwittingly mess up your diets...Thanks for letting me voice my frustration... :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    I agree! I check the nutritional information all the time to confirm it is correct. I also correct the incorrect ones too. It can be frustrating and i think sometimes people only add in a portion of the information for their own tracking but don't realize that it affects more than them.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Yeah there is definitely a lot of misreported nutritional information on here you need to examine a do a little research of your own before just jotting down whatever it comes up as.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Very true. I make a point to look through several of the entries and settle on the most commonly posted nutritional data. It can be frustrating and time consuming, but it becomes easier once it's added to your "favorite" foods- no more need to check! :D
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always try to at least eyeball what I'm adding. What I've also seen is that nutrient info on products can often change over time as they change the product. I'm guessing that is some of the problem. The other thing I've noted is that some entries don't really clarify the serving ... was it the "lunch" or the "dinner" size, for example... or the 1 oz bag vs the 1.5 oz bag? Stuff like that. When in question, I usually go with the one that has the most verifications.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been doing that too. I've noticed some of them haven't been updated in over a year and a lot of times food recipes & ingredients change so it's important to verify the info if you have the package. I did it with Planet smoothie & a few other things I buy at the grocery. Good luck Detective!
  • snorktharpe
    snorktharpe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    yeah, i noticed this too. fortunately, i read the labels on everything and try to remember just in case it doesn't compute correctly on here :)