Sexy in Six ***closed group*** Week Five

Options

Replies

• kristyann86
    kristyann86 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    THURSDAY QOTD: STRESS AND COPING

harder harder harder. stress eater right here. i have a plaque on my wall that says "do one thing everyday that makes you happy." i try to think of that when i come home if i haven't done that one thing at school yet. whether it's take a bath or do my nails or watch a movie or read or whatever would help me get happy or feel a little better.....
  • TanyaPearce
    Options
    I used to fill the stress with eatting and over eatting at that. I have learned that exercise releases endorphens and helps reduce stress. And a lot of prayer.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    QOTD Thursday:

Do you think stress makes it easier or harder to stick to your goals, and how do you cope with stress?

This has been SUCH a stressful school year for me. Stress definitely works against me in the sense that I don't have much energy to plan my meals or workout. This summer I felt so amazing and there's been a huge contrast to how I feel since school started. I just do my best. I look for ways to relax, but don't always find them. Zumba has helped with my stress level a lot.
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Okay, QOTD Thursday:

Do you think stress makes it easier or harder to stick to your goals, and how do you cope with stress?

Ahh...our good ole friend stress. We have a love/hate relationship---we break up and get back together!

I would have to say it makes it both easier and harder. How is that??? It depends on what I am stressing about. I usually take out my anger and stress in my workouts. It will make me work a little harder. Of course if I am stress over something I ate or how I look/feel that day it makes it harder. I slump back down into the "what does it really matter" and don't want to do anything but grab a box of cookies--sit in fron of the TV and eat. That is where I look for my reinforcements. My hubbs is great for that. He has no problem telling me to get my *kitten* in gear and get my workout in. He will remind me of all I have done so far and what I am trying to do. That helps me get through it.
  • mommy2squish
    mommy2squish Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Monday QOTD -

In Regards to a healthier lifestyle (diet and fitness) What is something new that you have tried since you started your journey that worked for you (i.e. planning meals, a new type of exercise, a reward system)? AND what is something new that you would LIKE to try moving forward that you maybe have not had the time or opportunity to try yet?

In general the thing that is working for me is being on MFP. I have some real life and friends and then all the fabulous women I have met on here. It keeps me going.
    The one thing I am working on going forward is cutting out caffeine and sticking to exercising. I do ok with the eating but have a hard time staying motivated to exercise.

Tuesday QOTD:

It's November already, which begins a challenging time of year for many of us whether it is holidays or the need for comfort food in the midst of cold weather and lack of good produce. What challenges are you facing with this time of year in relation to maintaining a healthy lifestyle and/or weight loss? What steps are you or will you be taking to not fall off track?
    The only real challenges I foresee are the holidays. The only way I know that I will not fall off track is the support of amazing people and I also don’t deprive if I want something I eat it and track it. I just watch my portions.

Wednesday QOTD:

So, when you see a gain on the scale (or even just have a really bad day) how do you get back on track and not let it take you into a downward spiral?
    I am still struggling with this one. Luckily I have only had one day of seeing the scale go up. However the weight loss is slowing. I am trying my best to not get discouraged. I had a great start and just want to keep going.
    Thursday QOTD:

Stress definantly causes me to eat more. I am doing better with this since joining MFP however I still have a hard time not overeating when I am stressed.
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am 100% a stress eater!! i find it hard to dedicate exercise time when i'm stressed. I'm really proud that the last time i was mega stressed at school i managed to keep my eating in check!!
  • codonnell13
    codonnell13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I am totally a stress eater when I am at home, but usually, when I am super stressed, I hardly have time to breathe, let alone snack. I get migraines when I am super stressed, so I just try to relax when I can if things start piling up.
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    ok ladies - I know some of you are runners - this isn't a QOTD just looking for some feed back - and I guess this would be good for any exercise in general I love to run, and after 2 solid weeks of down time I'm glad to get back into it, because I feel better when I get to run, BUT I'm finding it hard to push myself, I just get bored after 20-25 minutes. I have to be a little careful where I run where I live in terms of safety, so my route is limited, especially before the sun comes up because the poor footing on some sidewalks makes me nervous to go a new route if I don't know where the sidewalk suddenly jumps up 6 inches to try and break my ankle. I started taking my neighbor's dog - that's helped (my dog's legs are too short to run with me LOL) I supposed I could get an iPod. I'm using an ap on my phone called Run keeper that tracks my distance, pace, and calories, which kept me interested initially, I have a 5k coming up, but I just find myself consistently have to talk myself out of the thoughts of "if I turn here I can head home, or 2 miles is enough today"

I've been walking my short dogs as a warm up and making them go a mile - they are basset hounds and that takes 20-25 minutes, so this might ad to my boredom, because it keeps me out for a solid 50 minutes and I have to do the same first mile twice, but people run on tracks all the time and treadmills.

How do i keep it interesting?!?!?

Thanks!
    Laura
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Laura - I'm new to running but have found that having a couple of playlists of some of my favorite faster, upbeat songs on my Ipod has really helped me to keep going. I will be through five songs before I even realize it. Good luck!!
  • mbw2586
    Options
    Since yesterday's question was about stress, I thought I would share my little concoction of stress relief from last night.

For a great DIY body scrub, you'll need the following:

1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
    1 cup olive oil

Mix together, stand over a towel (or plastic bag, or something to catch the debris) and rub all over body.

After doing this and showering, my body felt like butter and I slept like a baby.
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    FRIDAY QOTD- We all know that dieting and becoming more healthy is one of mankind's greatest forms of self improvement. What types of self improvement things do you do or would like to do that are completely unrelated to diet/health? This can be career related, fun related...whatever you do to learn something new that makes you happy!

For me that career self improvement goal was joining Toastmasters which is a club to help improve public speaking skills! I'm getting to a point in my career that requres me to give presentations and I want to be better at it!!

A fun related one was taking a dance class with my husband last winter!
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    FRIDAY QOTD- We all know that dieting and becoming more healthy is one of mankind's greatest forms of self improvement. What types of self improvement things do you do or would like to do that are completely unrelated to diet/health? This can be career related, fun related...whatever you do to learn something new that makes you happy!
    I think intelligence is one of the ultimate forms of self improvement. I remember my mom telling me when I was younger that nobody can ever take away your education. These days, I love to foster that intellectual self improvement with reading as much as I can. Eventually, I want to work out my situation with the college so I can get back into classes. I'd *love* to get my masters in psychology some day and work in a clinic with people who are struggling with depression, anxiety, ocd, etc.
  • anettabon
    anettabon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thursdays QOTD: Do you think stress makes it easier or harder to stick to your goals, and how do you cope with stress?

Definitely harder. I love to eat when I'm stressed out and I'm trying to change that.

FRIDAY QOTD- We all know that dieting and becoming more healthy is one of mankind's greatest forms of self improvement. What types of self improvement things do you do or would like to do that are completely unrelated to diet/health?

I think I want to go back to school next fall. I'm planning on applying this winter and hopefully next year I'll be in school.
  • knight76306
    knight76306 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Well, since I'm going back to school to finish my degree - I guess I'll say that. Right now I'm wondering the sanity of that decision!!!! Other than that? This was my first year to play softball (on a team), I don't think I have time for anything else. Other things I'd love to do, but....
  • mommy2squish
    mommy2squish Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    FRIDAY QOTD- We all know that dieting and becoming more healthy is one of mankind's greatest forms of self improvement. What types of self improvement things do you do or would like to do that are completely unrelated to diet/health?

Mine would have to be educational. I am currently studying for my nursing boards. After I pass those and get a job i want to go back to school for my BSN or MSN.
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i FRIDAY QOTD- We all know that dieting and becoming more healthy is one of mankind's greatest forms of self improvement. What types of self improvement things do you do or would like to do that are completely unrelated to diet/health? This can be career related, fun related...whatever you do to learn something new that makes you happy!

Like others here, I'm back in school, too. I would also like to take some art classes in different mediums that I haven't tried before.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Right now I am focused on my career. I am attending a derivatives and hedging conference in December in NYC. I'm also debating on if I want to start studying for my CMA (I already have my CPA). I was also recently chosen to participate in a women's management seminar at work.

For fun, I took a photography class about a year ago to learn how to use my new D-SLR camera. I taking photos and am constantly practicing with the camera. I'd like to learn more about editing the photos at some point.

And related to yesterday's question, I gave in to stress today and had a french dip sandwich and fries for lunch. It's a really long story, but I recently started dating this guy that I used to work with. Another guy that works there, who is one of my dearest friends, or was, found out about it today and is furious with me. He sent me some not so nice emails that had me in tears this morning. I already had plans with a friend for lunch, which was good, but instead of the grilled shrimp salad that I was going to get, I got the sandwich and fries. I haven't had fries since August. Oh well. Nothing I can do about it now. Thanks for letting me vent! :)
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I feel like all I've done in my entire life is career-related self-improvement, but it hasn't gotten me anywhere. Actually, this is actually quite a sensitive topic for me, because knowing what I do now, I feel like if I could go back and do it all over again, I would probably have just skipped college and gotten a job - there's no doubt in my mind that I would be more financially secure and have more of the life that I wanted had I made that choice.

Still, I continue to attempt to develop skills that make me unique. I mean, there's not a lot of people in the world that can black-box blind identify every bone in the human skeleton, explain the factors for readability and text analysis for elementary school textbooks and manually code in HTML/C++/C/Java while serving as a sommelier in a 4-star restaurant and accompanying on the piano while singing an operatic show-tune of your choosing.... but unfortunately there are also not a lot of jobs in the world that find these to be marketable skills! :P

I guess maybe if I thought about self-improvement that I WANT to do, it would be more mental/spiritual/emotional than anything else. I want to work on being calmer. I want to work on thinking before I speak. I want to work on being able to put away my worries and focus on things that make me happy. Oh, and I want to win the lottery. Duh.

Or maybe I should just focus all my efforts
  • drgirl1023
    drgirl1023 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    QOTD Thursday:

When it comes to stress I really do not eat! I guess in a way it is good thing but then again not because once the stress is gone I start to eat all over again. I don't over do it because this time around I want to lose weight so I try to stick to the diet.
  • drgirl1023
    drgirl1023 Posts: 112 Member
    Options

I recently applied to school to get a MSW and then hopefully get licensed. This is something that I really need in the feild of work that I am so that I can advance in my life and work. Hopefully in the future maybe I can open my own practice and work for myself.