Serious question about calorie goals...

Options
124»

Replies

• havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I wish MFP would say, "met their calorie goal" if the person is within 100 calories on either side of the goal. It's silly that you can be 5 calories over and not get that kudos. I was about to congratulate someone on being under goal once and I glanced at their diary and they had eaten like 400 calories for the whole day. Um...not good!

It annoys me to no end when it says I'm under my goal when I'm slightly under my count. I am no calorie math ninja, it's impossible to hit it perfect. Plus I know there is a certain amount of wiggle room in my calorie count since I don't weight/measure things. Basically, I support this idea!
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I generally don't comment on diaries, because I don't usually go in and read them, so I wouldnt' be sure what I was complimenting. They could have eaten 1200 calories in potato chips and not worked out at all for all I can tell....

I do try to comment on all exercise, weight loss or other posts when I'm online though....because I know how hard it can be to stay motivated to keep working out and I like that interaction with friends!

This* sometimes if I'm bored enough or see someone struggling ill look @ their diary but usually I don't but I do look at their exercise and weight loss posts & encourage them there....in my mind if they r gonna put in the effort for exercise knowing they r an adult with a brain too they are gonna wanna follow up with good nutrition...it usually falls into place....but maybe I'm wrong in my thinking
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    In reference to the posters who are against "critiquing" someone else's food diary. If you read my previous post then you know that I think it is helpful for people to offer suggestions or hold us accountable for the choices we make. I think it will help us to stick to our goals. For those who don't want others "critiquing" their food diary? It's quite simple...keep it private. This site is meant to provide a support structure for each persons success. I am too honest a person to accept accolades for doing something the wrong way. I mean seriously if I was eating a candy bar three times a day and still coming in under my calorie goal. It would be hypocritical for me to accept a friends congratulatory statements for a job I didn't do. The object here is not to just be under our calorie goals but, to make healthier choices and to keep the weight off once we've lost it. If all we're doing is eating junk or starving ourselves then we will not be successful. If the only reason we've joined this community if for people to congratulate us on continuing our destructive behaviors then we've wasted our time and everyone elses. So, my solution to this quandary is simple.... If you don't want to comment on someone else's diary, DON'T. If you don't want people commenting on your diary, MAKE IT PRIVATE. Public diaries are basically telling everyone you are open to suggestions. My diary is public and so if I'm doing something you think could be improved, have at it. There is no law saying I have to accept your suggestions. However, if it is a good one, I'm likely to try it. It's all about each of us finding a new healthier way to live. I don't know about everyone else but, I want this weight to come off and stay off forever. That's why I'm taking things at a slower pace. 1lb a week is what is recommended for permanent weight loss.

Truly, I respect that. But I would find it discouraging if everytime I ate a cookie, I was lectured by friends. Pretty soon it would seem like an attack. If I am comfortable with eating that cookie, then you should be too. Fortunately, I have never had to experience a friend who felt it necessary to criticize or condemn my food choices. As far as the opinion that losing slower means that it stays off permanently, there really isn't any documentation to support that. For as many "professionals" that make that claim, there is an equal number of "professionals" that will tell you that it is not how slow you lose, but how permanent you intend to make the changes to your lifestyle. When you made the decision to lose the weight, you committed to yourself to change the way you eat and exercise for as long as it takes to get it off. But, if you aren't committed to continuing those methods for the rest of your life, then no weight loss will be permanent. Even if you spent the next 2.5 years losing 1 lb a week, if you return to your old habits in 3 years then you will gain all of the weight back and it won't have mattered how slowly you lost. Also, to your statement that you didn't gain the weight in six months so you shouldn't expect it to come off that quickly; you gain weight faster than you lose anyway. Sure you didn't gain it all in six months, that is because you carried some of it for awhile before you gained some more.

I agree with u swhitney... I don't like when someone tries to lecture me on my diary choices..I think umm I'm an adult and I know what we r supposed to b doing but I'm human & its my stinkin body! Lol I didn't open my diary for lectures I did however open it for my piece of mind (I do feel more accountable when people can see it & think what they want) also for the newbies wondering how I'm losing wieght is y I opened it...& as for the speed of weight loss thing in my opinion it doesn't matter how fast or slow u lose it if u want to keep it off and are commited u will keep it off...I'm set @ 2 lb loss each week & I can say I know how I feel inside about my weight loss & my attitude & drive! I will not put it back on! Mfp has tought me soo much that if I were to gain some back I know how to lose it again & I would!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    :happy: I got to work this morning and logged on to see what was happening and my jaw dropped when I saw that my little post had generated 3 full pages of comments!:happy:
    I'm sorry to see that some opinions are so oposite and excited that they are all at the same time:wink: ! When you look at the tickers tho, you see that everyone has lost SOME weight doing it their way. So in my opinion (take it for what it's worth) no one can be entirely wrong, just doing what works for them:flowerforyou: .
    That is another WONDEFUL thing about MFP for me... :heart: knowing that no matter HOW we choose to do it, we are all working for the same type of goal... to live a healthier, happier life:heart: . Thank you all so much for your support, answers, opinions, and general concern for how everyone is doing. :bigsmile:
  • nonstopfeisty
    nonstopfeisty Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    In reference to the posters who are against "critiquing" someone else's food diary. If you read my previous post then you know that I think it is helpful for people to offer suggestions or hold us accountable for the choices we make. I think it will help us to stick to our goals. For those who don't want others "critiquing" their food diary? It's quite simple...keep it private. This site is meant to provide a support structure for each persons success. I am too honest a person to accept accolades for doing something the wrong way. I mean seriously if I was eating a candy bar three times a day and still coming in under my calorie goal. It would be hypocritical for me to accept a friends congratulatory statements for a job I didn't do. The object here is not to just be under our calorie goals but, to make healthier choices and to keep the weight off once we've lost it. If all we're doing is eating junk or starving ourselves then we will not be successful. If the only reason we've joined this community if for people to congratulate us on continuing our destructive behaviors then we've wasted our time and everyone elses. So, my solution to this quandary is simple.... If you don't want to comment on someone else's diary, DON'T. If you don't want people commenting on your diary, MAKE IT PRIVATE. Public diaries are basically telling everyone you are open to suggestions. My diary is public and so if I'm doing something you think could be improved, have at it. There is no law saying I have to accept your suggestions. However, if it is a good one, I'm likely to try it. It's all about each of us finding a new healthier way to live. I don't know about everyone else but, I want this weight to come off and stay off forever. That's why I'm taking things at a slower pace. 1lb a week is what is recommended for permanent weight loss.

Truly, I respect that. But I would find it discouraging if everytime I ate a cookie, I was lectured by friends. Pretty soon it would seem like an attack. If I am comfortable with eating that cookie, then you should be too. Fortunately, I have never had to experience a friend who felt it necessary to criticize or condemn my food choices. As far as the opinion that losing slower means that it stays off permanently, there really isn't any documentation to support that. For as many "professionals" that make that claim, there is an equal number of "professionals" that will tell you that it is not how slow you lose, but how permanent you intend to make the changes to your lifestyle. When you made the decision to lose the weight, you committed to yourself to change the way you eat and exercise for as long as it takes to get it off. But, if you aren't committed to continuing those methods for the rest of your life, then no weight loss will be permanent. Even if you spent the next 2.5 years losing 1 lb a week, if you return to your old habits in 3 years then you will gain all of the weight back and it won't have mattered how slowly you lost. Also, to your statement that you didn't gain the weight in six months so you shouldn't expect it to come off that quickly; you gain weight faster than you lose anyway. Sure you didn't gain it all in six months, that is because you carried some of it for awhile before you gained some more.

Ok, a person who feels it necessary to question someone having one single cookie once in a while, has issues of their own and I would probably unfriend them for that reason. Now, if you ate a single cookie, multiple times a day then yes, your friends should point it out to you. There again, if you are uncomfortable with having your choices critiqued then keep your diary private, problem solved. Losing weight too quickly can cause other problems including, system shock. And according to my research a person who loses weight slowly is more likely to keep it off permanently because, the longer a person does something the more it becomes habit.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Ok, a person who feels it necessary to question someone having one single cookie once in a while, has issues of their own and I would probably unfriend them for that reason. Now, if you ate a single cookie, multiple times a day then yes, your friends should point it out to you. There again, if you are uncomfortable with having your choices critiqued then keep your diary private, problem solved. Losing weight too quickly can cause other problems including, system shock. And according to my research a person who loses weight slowly is more likely to keep it off permanently because, the longer a person does something the more it becomes habit.

Same difference...
  • NicolioRussell
    Options

I was looking at Kelly's signature....

And I'm sorry but a condition like hyperthyroidism is not just something you ERADICATE. It's something you live with for the rest of your life, no matter how much weight you lose. Just thought I would comment because I know from my own life experience that it's not something that you just get rid of.

And on top of that, if you have hyperthyroidism you're likely to have really poor eating habits. Hyperthyroidism causes your metabolism to go into overdrive. You have a hard time gaining weight with this problem. So, if you want to "eradicate" that, start with changing eating habits....because if, somehow thru medication or otherwise, your thyroid does go normal or hypo, you're gonna want to make sure you're eating less and healthier or you will blow up like a balloon.
  • nonstopfeisty
    Options

And I'm sorry but a condition like hyperthyroidism is not just something you ERADICATE. It's something you live with for the rest of your life, no matter how much weight you lose. Just thought I would comment because I know from my own life experience that it's not something that you just get rid of.

And on top of that, if you have hyperthyroidism you're likely to have really poor eating habits. Hyperthyroidism causes your metabolism to go into overdrive. You have a hard time gaining weight with this problem. So, if you want to "eradicate" that, start with changing eating habits....because if, somehow thru medication or otherwise, your thyroid does go normal or hypo, you're gonna want to make sure you're eating less and healthier or you will blow up like a balloon.

I was unaware that there were two different thyroid conditions. I looked it up and I have HypOthyroidism. I also looked at my blood work report and I'm only a couple of tenths off normal. I appreciate that you have this condition and yes probably know more about it than I do as I've only gotten this diagnosis within the last month but, you do not know the full story that goes with it and so are out of line with your comments. I will correct my signature but, will not entertain any further discussion regarding my medical conditions.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Well considering many people don't have open diaries, you can't always judge if the fact that they're under is good or bad.

Support is support IMO.
  • NicolioRussell
    Options

I was unaware that there were two different thyroid conditions. I looked it up and I have HypOthyroidism. I also looked at my blood work report and I'm only a couple of tenths off normal. I appreciate that you have this condition and yes probably know more about it than I do as I've only gotten this diagnosis within the last month but, you do not know the full story that goes with it and so are out of line with your comments. I will correct my signature but, will not entertain any further discussion regarding my medical conditions.

I'm not trying to be nasty, but I can see that you were getting very heated about the whole "eat them back or don't" issue, which doesn't seem right because you didn't seem to know a lot about the health conditions that you have. People get up in arms when you tell them something they didn't know, or don't want to know. Unfortunately, thyroid conditions are serious, and should be treated as such. My comments to you, scathing or not, were meant to be a wake up call. Having a thyroid condition means that you have to work that much harder at controlling what goes in and what comes out. Good luck with your hypo; it's a struggle, and will be a life long one.
  • nonstopfeisty
    Options

I'm not trying to be nasty, but I can see that you were getting very heated about the whole "eat them back or don't" issue, which doesn't seem right because you didn't seem to know a lot about the health conditions that you have. People get up in arms when you tell them something they didn't know, or don't want to know. Unfortunately, thyroid conditions are serious, and should be treated as such. My comments to you, scathing or not, were meant to be a wake up call. Having a thyroid condition means that you have to work that much harder at controlling what goes in and what comes out. Good luck with your hypo; it's a struggle, and will be a life long one.

Ok look, not that it's any of your business but, I was "diagnosed" by a stupid clinic doctor who refuses to acknowledge PCOS as a legitimate medical condition. PCOS can cause all of the medical conditions on my list. It can also mess your numbers up enough to make it look like you have something that you don't. She also "diagnosed" my diabetes. I do not believe I actually "have" these conditions because I was in the hospital just a couple months prior because of chest pains. They ran the same tests and everything was fine. She runs the tests and suddenly I have all this crap. The hospital doctor even spoke to my mom and husband about diabetes and he said flat out that I do not have it, he said that my PCOS caused my numbers to be off a bit. I am more inclined to believe a man who comes in and sits down with me and my family to discuss the findings of blood work, than a woman who pops in announces something and throws a prescription at me. So there now you know the whole freaking story and you can get off it. And btw, the calorie thing is common sense. To lose weight you burn more than you eat not eat what you burn.
  • getnfoxy
    Options
    Rather than post YAY or GOOD JOB, I post math problems. Then they don't really know if it's support or admonishment. And hey, math!

I literally laughed out loud. Very Jack Handy of you!
    [/quote lmao