Zumba Addicts: HRM owners & your class pet peeves

Options
2»

Replies

• hyper588
    hyper588 Posts: 28
    Options
    Took my FIRST Zumba class last night...45 minutes=400 calorie burn...(for a 48 year old gal, who weights 170 lbs, and had NO Zumba experience). Hope that helps.
  • hyper588
    Options
    Regarding logging, I add activies to my database that are missing. IF my heart moniter varies, I just change the burned calories.

I log yard word as an exercise too, since I burn 450-500 calories an hour when I do it.
  • hyper588
    Options
    I forgot my "pet peeve"...MY two left feet! :-)~
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    I'm a Zumba addict and here are my thoughts:

-Yes, I wear an HRM and I average 400-600 a class, depending on the instructor and her speed.

-Pet Peeve: When the teacher makes us do cheesy, cornball moves and dances then says "Come on girls! You gotta have fun with it!" Yes my dear, I do want to have fun, but I don't want to look like a complete moron doing it!

-Second pet peeve: When they try to make you sing along. Please, please don't make me do that haha

I think I'm in the 600's too.. I gauge between me and another lady who wears a monitor... I factor in my waterbreaks and pauses or modified versions... so thanks, that's what I had figured it was, along with MFP's suggestion.

LOL at Cheesy moves.. hadn't had that happen yet.... sometimes I'm too winded to sing along.
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    I have never been to a class, but was running on the treadmill where I could watch the class last night, and the intructors had the particpants switch spots at quick drink breaks. The front row would move to the back and the second row would come up to the front. It is a smaller gym so they were using the raquetball court, but I thought that was a great idea. I am going to sign up and try the class next week!!

I love that idea, I'll suggest that to my teacher ;... YOU'RE GONNA BE HOOKED!!!
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    OMG GIrl, I cracked up at all of yoru pet peeves! I totally know what you mean about ALL of those things, and those are mine. There is one annoying girl in my class that stands front and center, and she barely follows the instructor, does her own annoying dance moves and things she is the hottest thing since sliced bread when all she really does is look like a *kitten*. She ran into me twice last class, I told her to back off and stop running into me or she would become Zumba Roadkill. She got the hint cause she gave me a dirty look and didnt come near me the rest of the class.

I usually burn anywhere from 650-900 calories per 60 minute class, depending on how much I push myself and how I am feeling, according to my Polar FT7 HRM!

OH MY JEANS.... I LOVE THAT.. ZUMBA ROADKILL...I suffer from Random silliness...LOL.. The Polar HRM is what I'm looking at too :) That seals the deal for me!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    BTW - what's your instructor's name?
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hi--I love Zumba. My school schedule has made it impossible to get to any daytime Zumba classes at my gym this term, so I am really missing it. Can't wait for summer. I have worn a HRM during class before and I usually use 600/hour (including the cooldown) as my number. I have done higher cals if I am really tearing it up, and it has been closer to 450-500 on the rare occasion the teacher is boring and I am not trying that hard. BTW, I am 5'7" and around 160 lbs.--that makes a huge difference in how much you burn.

Peeves:

QUOTE:
    -Pet Peeve: When the teacher makes us do cheesy, cornball moves and dances then says "Come on girls! You gotta have fun with it!" Yes my dear, I do want to have fun, but I don't want to look like a complete moron doing it!

That^^. I don't even mind looking like a moron, but if the moves are stupid, it is not fun. Also, girls who stand directly in front of me piss me off. Stagger yourselves so we can all see the mirror, please, ladies. I will sidle over a little so I can see myself, and lo and behold, they move with me so they are still RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. We are not in elementary school--tidy rows are not required.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    haha, seriously...the other day my instructor made us do the Macarena and that galloping, ride the horse move (you know, like "Tanto! Jump on it!" dance) all in one song! Are you kidding me, chica? lol!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Teaching Zumba for almost 2 years now, I have seen all of your pet peeves in my classes! This thread has been very amusing, lol :laugh: My pet peeve...the tall person that stands right in front of me, front and center :angry: I am 4'11.5 people!!!!! Be courteous, sheesh, lol!!! I've also had the diva in the front row who stares at herself constantly and is always in my personal dancing space...in the teacher's space!!!!

As for the HRM,I have a Polar F-11, I weigh 108 lbs and burn between 415 - 515 cals depending on how much energy I get back from the students. I used to burn more when I weighed more, now I feel like I hardly burn any :ohwell:

Keep on shaking it ladies!!!
  • chlskoch
    chlskoch Posts: 11
    Options
    My pet peeve is when people in the class worry about what others are doing, zumba is about letting loose and it's difficult to do that if there's ANY form of judgment in the room, if you're supposed to move like you do in your house when no one's watching, then make it easier on everyone and stop watching others!!!! Please. You're sucking the fun out of it with all your pet peeves people.
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is when people in the class worry about what others are doing, zumba is about letting loose and it's difficult to do that if there's ANY form of judgment in the room, if you're supposed to move like you do in your house when no one's watching, then make it easier on everyone and stop watching others!!!! Please. You're sucking the fun out of it with all your pet peeves people.

I understand what you are coming from because I am so worried about getting the moves down myself to get the most out of my workout. I am too busy to worry and watch anyone else. However one of my pet peeves is when people don't give you enough space to move around. I get to class early for a reason, so I get a spot in the front. I think it's extremely rude and inconsiderate when people walk in once class starts and try to squeeze right next to someone. If I arrived to class late I would try to find a spot that has enough room for me. Another class pet peeve is when the instructor stops in between songs to teach the moves in a 45 minute class! I understand the purpose of this but by the time you teach it our heart rates are going down and do you really think I am retaining all of the moves. I personally learn best by just moving, I will eventually pick it up, but it get's frustrating when we have to miss a song or two because of stopping the music to teach moves. Btw, I love zumba! I am a zumba addict and have been doing it for almost 2 years now! It's my favorite workout and I love it!
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    i want to reply to this tomorrow

signed, the *kitten* shaker in the front row w/ a 60 min cal burn of about 800.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    definately people that are too close to me!!!!!

i love the *kitten* shaking though..

and i love the idea of mvong during water breaks...!!!!
  • kikyoumiko
    kikyoumiko Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love zumba but I have a couple of pet peeves about people in class. There's this one lady who is always in the back, BUT she always yell "woooOOOOOOO!!!" about every 30 seconds or so in almost EVERY song in that one hour. I'm not saying that Zumba class needs to be silent with just the music on, and it's cool to cheer every once in awhile when doing an intense move. But hearing her do that all the time ruins the class for me because it gets annoying. If I can hear her over the music, which my instructor likes to turn up really loud, then she really needs to tone it down. Other people are annoyed too but no one wants to say anything.

There was also another time when I was in a Master class with a ZES, and this guy and his friends came in late and ran towards the front of the class. I was just in the third row from the stage but this guy just ran up and got in front of me without giving me enough space. He was really tall too. Even worse, he couldn't even get the basic moves down and had a lot of close calls of almost running into me!
  • bethtilgner
    Options
    I smiled reading this thread and had to add my own pet peeves. Mine go along with not being able to see the instructor and whatnot, but it also drives me nuts when Zumba classes don't follow the Zumba formula... I am going for ZUMBA, not a rip-off version guised under the name.

ALSO, totally a gross pet peeve is personal hygiene. DON'T wear super tight, light color sweats that show off alll the lovely crotch and crack sweat (sorry, but it is true). There are LOTS of clothing options that minimize this issue.