Converting to Early Morning Exercise!?

Options
Hi

I am going to try to excercise in the mornings rather than at night time. This will have a greater impact on metabolic rate.
It will also give me a boost in mood and set me up for the day.

I am a night owl and I'm going to find it difficult. I usually find it hard to drag myself out of bed. Has anyone managed to change and become a morning exerciser? Does it become easier with time?

Any tips for me please? :)

thanks

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Put your gym shoes right next to your bed... they will stare you down until you put them on and just go!
    Try setting your alarm to an upbeat and motivating song.
    As soon as you wake up, drink a cold glass of water.
    I'm just starting out, and I do think it will take a little getting used to :D
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know about boosting your metabolic rate but I do agree that early morning exercise puts me in a good for the rest of the day.

I'm a morning person but my husband is definitely a night owl. He has joined me in my early morning exercise four days a week and says he is finding it easier to get up and going each morning. In fact, as we were out cycling today he was planning out workouts for next week.

go for it!
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    *snort* the most exercise I want first thing in the morning best involve sex, really really good sex other wise somebody had best be dieing, the house has to be on fire, something major like that. I'm not a morning person LOL
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i try to break it up, doing half at night and half during the day and that way if u go over, you can fix it. just eat before doing the workout to burn those last minute snacks or late night dinners...which i have many of cause of work :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    the only time I manage to get up for early AM exercise is for my Saturday morning running group--I lay out my clothes and fuel belt and iPod the night before and it really helps...plus, I have made some friends in the group that expect me to show up...that motivates me to get out of my nice warm bed :)
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    If you use an alarm put it in a place where you have to get up to turn it off. That way you aren't as likely to hit the snooze button and once you're out the bed that's half the battle already won!
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Put your gym shoes right next to your bed... they will stare you down until you put them on and just go!
    Try setting your alarm to an upbeat and motivating song.
    As soon as you wake up, drink a cold glass of water.
    I'm just starting out, and I do think it will take a little getting used to :D

Yeah it will definately take a while for me to get use to. But if I want it bad enough I'll do it! I had the determination to lose a heap of weight and I reckon if i set my mind to it i can do it. i just gotta give it a chance. Every other time i've tried i tend to last 2 or 3 weeks then cant go on. i think as long as i have the right amount of sleep that will help. the important thing is not to lose out on sleep. i need about 8 hours to function normally
  • Kim55555
    Options

I'm a morning person but my husband is definitely a night owl. He has joined me in my early morning exercise four days a week and says he is finding it easier to get up and going each morning. In fact, as we were out cycling today he was planning out workouts for next week.

go for it!

Thats encouraging to hear that your night owl husband is finding it easier. Thats great :)
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Totally a night ow here. Would've never DREAMED of working out like I do in the mornings but with time and slow training I would not want it ANY OTHER WAY! :D Start slow. When I first started I almost fainted taking a shower after the workouts (before work) in the shower. So be sure to fuel food and hydration-wise.

You'll get used to is and honestly I can never think about going back to working out *after* work. ....
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm for when I "should" get up.

Most days, if I hit snooze, my mind does it's normal ****y **** with me (the stars indicate two in a row F bombs) and tells me I will regret it the whole day if I don't get up right then

That usually works. The mind is a damn powerful thing.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    good tips everyone thanks! :)

i guess i created this topic to get a little encouragement and to become more positive that it is possible.

i'm going to give it a good crack starting sunday morning. its midday here on saturday at present.
  • kiwianjel
    kiwianjel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have always been a morning person and love having my exercise in the morning. I agree it is good for my mood and for clearing my head for the days activities. My best advice is to get up and go as soon as you wake beacause any procrastination is detrimental .. as i have found out on occasion lol dont think just do! Good Luck !
  • edisonswifey
    edisonswifey Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I too am a night owl & really want to start working out in the mornings. All week I have said I'll start it tomorrow and tomorrow never came lol. I am going to start working out during my lunch hour until I can wake up early enough. I used to work out in the mornings and the best thing is to just wake up and do it. It definitely got easier over time but it took me a long time to get used to it and now I can't go back to my old routine.