Vegans/ vegetarians- what are you having for the holidays?

Options
2»

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm usually with my large non-vegetarian family for Christmas. I usually just make a veggie loaf with canned beans, breadcrumbs, some herbs and a a can of condensed mushroom soup- I also make some vegetarian gravy and bring that along, that's usually all I need!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm usually with my large non-vegetarian family for Christmas. I usually just make a veggie loaf with canned beans, breadcrumbs, some herbs and a a can of condensed mushroom soup- I also make some vegetarian gravy and bring that along, that's usually all I need! I'm interested in hearing what other people bring along to Christmas dinner for some new ideas :)
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We are putting our vegan menu together (my in-laws are bringing a turkey but at least I've won them over on everything else!)

falafel balls (baked)
    vegan gravy (I could drink it)
    mashed red potatoes
    mac n cheese, I use daiya chedder (best vegan cheese out there)
    stuffing balls (baked)
    squash wontons
    asparagus
    green bean casserole
    pecan pie
    pumpkin pie
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Everything I've had by Field Roast is so good. Last year I had their Celebration Roast for Thanksgiving and it was fabulous. I've never tried Tofurkey. However, a lot of vegans will do a main dish like stuffed squash rather than a turkey "replacement" and you can find tons of great recipes online for something like stuffed acorn squash. I like to have mashed sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing (Whole Foods now has a 365 vegan stuffing), veggies like green beans or roasted brussel sprouts, rolls, mashed potatoes with vegan gravy, and of course vegan pumpkin pie. Fairly typical Thanksgiving meal, without the sacrificial dead bird. If you have a Whole Foods near you, they also have a vegan Thanksgiving meal for two as part of their holiday dinner offerings. I think it comes with gardein chick'n. Could be good if you don't want to cook.

P.S. - Field Roast products are made from wheat gluten, not soy, and tend to have pretty good, whole ingredients unlike a lot of faux products.
  • adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The past 2 years I have done all the cooking for my family for thanksgiving, and theyve been really awesome accepting a vegan thanksgiving both years.

Last year the main dish was a lentil loaf, it was alright, needed work. The year bvefore I made a seitan roast which I loved, the family wasnt too into it

Ive made pumpkin soup, garlic roasted brussel sprouts, orange glazed beets, mashed potatoes with a red wine mushroom gravy, baked cauliflour. Fresh corns always great too.

Theres a ton of stuff you could do

Glazed yams or sweet potatoes
    Corn Chowder
    Anything with potatoes
    Asparagus
    Squash
    Quinoa

Go nuts, good luck
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Quorn makes a "turkey" log thing. You can buy it at most natural food stores. It is a little pricey, but if you cook it properly and pair it with some nice sauce it is fabulous& healthy!
    The Quorn 'turkey' is decent, but it's not vegan. Just FYI.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I dare not mess with our vegan Thanksgiving traditions, since the family will mutiny. I've been making tofurkey since forever, along with all the usual fixings: pumpkin soup, stuffing, corn, brussel sprouts, roasted plus mashed potatoes, pies, etc. This year I want to make some additional whole-food dishes, since I'm not a huge faux turkey fan. There's a fabulous new book out by Nava Atlas on vegan holiday cooking. I plan to buy the book before Thanksgiving, and analyze a few new recipes.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    *bump* :smile: