THANKSGIVING: HELP ME!

Options
LeoQuin
LeoQuin Posts: 56 Member
Hello,
As the holidays near, I have come to the conclusion that all the food is made unhealthy (for the most part) and is eaten in large amounts. I can tell you guys right now, I'm going to probably eat a crap load, which leads me to ask: What can I cook so the damage isn't as bad? If you guys have an opening dish, main dish, side dish and dessert recepies, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

(I just lost the weight this year, so the fat boy still lives strong in me)

Replies

• unlockthebox
    unlockthebox Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try he cook this not that cook books... Tast options in every category that r full of flavor
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    It's one day. I plan to pig the **** out and feel awful for it the next day. haha
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    PinUpGirlAtHeart Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know of a Hungry Girl recipe that has the nutrional facts for a healthier stuffing and I could look in the book and see what kind of other recipes you could maybe use. It has all kinds of healthier versions of food ranging from breakfast to dinner and even has drinks in it. Message me if you're interested.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower mash... Cauliflower rice...pumpkin pie... Turkey...cranberry and spinach Salad... Grilled veggies? Want me to go on ...
  • GrammyDiane
    Options
    Thanksgiving is traditionally an "eating holiday" but it really should be more about being thankful for all that we have. Focus more on the family and friends and less on the food. I spent two weeks in Africa on a mission trip just before Thanksgiving two years ago and that really helped me to put it into perspective and put less emphasis on the food.

That said, however, old habits & traditions are hard to break. Look for as many substitutions as possible for old favorites. The mashed cauliflower sounds like a wonderful thing to substitute for the mashed potatoes. Turkey is a lean meat to begin with - just stay away from the skin and eat more white meat, less dark meat. Stuffing doesn't have to have any added margarine. Load it with vegetables, like celery and onions. You can add chicken broth for flavor. My husband's family always made stuffing balls and baked them on a cookie sheet. We usually add an egg to help them hold their shape but an egg substitute would do the job for less calories. Concentrate on the many vegetables, just either don't add butter/margarine at all or use a butter spray or light margarine. For dessert, the Mini Pumpkin Pie recipe sounds good (I haven't personally tried it yet but do plan to make it in the mini Phyllo dough shells for our Thanksgiving dessert).

Mini Pumpkin Pies
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    2 egg whites
    4oz. unsweetened almond milk
    2oz. s/f vanilla creamer. (could use all almond milk)
    1/3 c splenda
    1/2 t salt, ginger, cinnamon
    pinch of cloves

Mix all together, put in 4 custard cups, (I sprayed mine) put in a pan, fill with about a inch of water. Bake about 45 mins at 350 or until a knife comes out clean.
    It would be really good with some sugar free cool whip.
    Comes in @ 61 calories.

Some suggestions copied from the post: (Mix it in some fage 0% greek yogurt – and then you even get tons of protein. That's what I use instead of all the liquid... then you only need a tiny bit of liquid. Add some walnuts and you'll be full a long time too.) (I have premade phyllo cups at home that a couple dollops of this would be great in... I don't know how many pies it would make - maybe 30?).

I have made Crustless Pumpkin Pie. 1 can (15oz) pumpkin, 1 can (12 oz) evaporated skim milk, 3/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 egg whites), 1/2 tsp salt, 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1 tsp vanilla, 2/3 cup Splenda (or sugar) to taste. Instructions: Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth. Pour into a 9" sprayed pie plate. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, and then at 325 for 45 minutes. Check to see if done by inserting a knife into the center until it comes out clean. Serves 8 - calories about 70 per serving. You could top with some Fat Free Cool Whip. Really takes care of the craving for pumpkin pie for a whole lot less calories!

If apple pie is your weakness, try a baked apple. Core an apple and place it in a baking dish. Sprinkle it with ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and artificial sweetner to equal 1 tsp. Add 1/4 cup water with 1 tsp lemon juice to the baking dish. Bake at 450 for 25 minutes or until tender.

Best of luck and hope these ideas help. Most of all, remember to count your blessings!!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I am not responsible for the cooking so I'm not going to stress over the food choices, I am just going to watch my portion sizes, choose the not-quite-as-calorific options, only have one dessert, and 'go low' on my net calories after exercise for a few days (not super low, maybe like 100-300 under my goal after plenty of exercise) before and after to offset the damage. If I were the one cooking, I would definitely be looking into some alternatives though. Good luck.

Portion sizes have been my big problem in the past as I can easily put away half a plate of stuffing just for starters. This year will be very different.
  • ldoggdo
    Options
    Before thanksgiving dinner wake up early and do a hard workout, then drink a lot of water afterwards so you won't overload on food. You can enjoy your meal knowing you workout hard in the morning before the meal.

I've signed up to a 2k, 3k, 5k on thanksgiving morning so i won't feel that guilty eating on thanksgiving.