Wisdom Teeth

Options
keiraev
keiraev Posts: 695 Member
Has anyone here had their wisdom teeth extracted?

I have been waiting literally years for an operation on the NHS to get my bottom wisdom teeth extracted (they are impacted and grew sideways) - been on antibiotics more times than I can remember and suffered a lot of pain:angry:

Anyway I have just found out that my operation is on Dec 21st - 4 days before Xmas!

I should hopefully be at my goal weight by then and was really looking forward to eating some tasty food but now I am afraid I won't be able to.

Anyone that has had it done how long til you could eat properly- was it more than 4 days ???

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i had mine removed...it took maybe a week for me to eat non-liquid foods.

i think you should just suck it up and eat everything you love afterward. Trust me, you do not want to continue using antibiotics because of this...antibiotics should not be taken lightly...
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 removed last sept I was 26..apparently its easier when ur a teen...we'll mine were impacted and had sergery to remove them...it took weeks for me to feel better! I have an 11 yr old and to b honest id rather give birth 5 more times than to ever have to deal with wisdome teeth removal again! Worst pain of my life! Sergery went perfect but I got dry socket even tho I took special care and did as I was supposed to.... I hope for u it goes 100 % better! I don't wish for that on anyone! Best of luck to u! :flowerforyou:
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Ive only had 2 of mine come thro fully, they are both on a slant and they do dig in the side of my cheeks when i eat, which is extremely painful and my cheeks do bleed quite alot. I have been to the dentist about it, but they reckon its fine and nothing to worry about as im still young (im 19), but sometimes its soo painful!
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Ive only had 2 of mine come thro fully, they are both on a slant and they do dig in the side of my cheeks when i eat, which is extremely painful and my cheeks do bleed quite alot. I have been to the dentist about it, but they reckon its fine and nothing to worry about as im still young (im 19), but sometimes its soo painful!

im 23 and this just started happening to me on one side, its horrible
  • xSophia19
    Options

im 23 and this just started happening to me on one side, its horrible

Yep it is horrible! I wish there was never such things as wisdom teeth.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

I had mine removed when I was 17 before they even began to come out.

Maybe you should find a new dentist or visit a periodontist, because everyone I know had them removed as teenagers. o-O
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad experience with mine...but I'll save you the details, just know that it was painful, bloody, and horrible...

And I was eating ice cream and mashed potatoes for a solid week. After that I tried to eat like a rabbit with my front teeth for another week, lol.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Maybe you should find a new dentist or visit a periodontist, because everyone I know had them removed as teenagers. o-O

Mine didn't grow in until I was 22 years old. I could not imagine the pain that I endured getting those suckers removed if I was a teenager.

Mine grew in funny...the roots were literally grabbing the jawbone...and that's something the dentist couldn't see with an x-ray, or take care of himself. Of course he didn't realize that until he had already begun... It was a long, horrible day...
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    I had mine out when I was 29 (I was working in the oral surgery department of a hospital, so had them done at work), and I wouldn't worry about not being a teenager. I saw people of all ages coming through our doors.

I had mine done under a general anaesthetic because of how badly impacted they were, and it took about five to seven days before I could even think about eating normally again, and probably another two or three days before I stopped looking like a hamster!

I don't regret getting them done at all. I'd been in pain with them on and off for about ten years or so before I realised what was causing the problem. I wish I'd done it sooner... bit like losing weight... ;)
  • xSophia19
    Options

yea i think i will have to find a new dentist! the one ive got sucks big time. he really doesnt know what he is doing i swear.. thanks :D
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    HORRIBLE! I am sorry that your procedure is scheduled 4 days before Christmas. Is there no way to change your appointment?

I had mine out when I was 17. All 4 were impacted and they removed them in the same day. I got dry socket, was in immense pain, and my pain meds were making me vomit (I thought it was having my teeth removed that was making me sick) and I didn't find out the reason until my check up appointment a week later. I had continual pain for several months afterwards until small fragments of bone and teeth worked themselved up and out. It was truly a bizarre and horrifying experience.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Oh God I am scared now! What is dry socket!?!

I didn't get them done as a teenager as they didn't grow until I was in my mid twenties- seriously!
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I had 2 of my wisdom teeth removed last year, i ate normally 2 days after if i recall correctly
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    when you get teeth removed they give a set of instrutions to follow if you follow them you should not get a dry socket .Dry socket occurs when the blood clot at the site of the tooth extraction has been dislodged or has dissolved before the wound has healed. Exposure of the underlying bone and nerves results in severe pain.l l most people get them from smoking,spiting and using a straw after they have had there tooth remove
  • borst13
    borst13 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Had 3 of mine taken out this past year when I was 24. The pain meds worked amazing until I got on a plane for an already planned trip across the country.....so horrible. We had to wake up early for the first flight and I didn't eat before taking my vicaden (sp?). It was a very painful plane ride and my week in NY was not fun. I ate plenty of ice cream for a few days then ate mac and cheese. At one airport I managed to eat a bagel...took a long time though. During the surgery the dentist said one of the wisdom teeth roots had grown into my nasal cavity and it made a hole there after he cut the tooth out so when I drinked anything afterward It would drip into my nose....strangest feeling ever!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I didn't have much problem with mine. 20 yrs old, did left side only and then went back and did right side. Two visits, but at least it left me with one 'good' side to chew on!
  • mmelledge
    Options
    Good luck! I'm wondering why they're waiting so long to do this.

That said, I had 3 wisdom teeth and a molar removed a couple years ago (I was 39, I think) and was eating in pretty normal in 3-4 days.