AM or PM workouts?

Options
Im wondering what everyones take is on when you workout. I am doing it in the evenings just because thats where it fits into my schedule right now.
But, does would it make a difference to do it in the morning so it boosts the metabolism more throughout the day? Or in the evening so its boosted while you sleep....?
I also tend to have sleep issues after working out in the evening too, any suggestions for this?

Replies

• ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you exercise as long as you exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've heard that working out in the morning boosts your metabolism, but I'm not sure that there is any truth to that.

Obviously working out any time you can is better than not at all though!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am doing it in the evenings just because thats where it fits into my schedule right now.

Then this is when you should do it.
    But, does would it make a difference to do it in the morning so it boosts the metabolism more throughout the day? Or in the evening so its boosted while you sleep....?

It won't make a substantial difference and as such, it's best to do it when it fits your lifestyle. See #5 in my sig and don't take offense.

EDIT: You may get a few people that talk about the benefits of fasted training. If I recall correctly (per Lyle McDonald, who absolutely knows his stuff) fasted training can help to mobilize fat but this isn't something even remotely necessary until you're already quite lean. Could be wrong on that, but regardless, I stand by my original sentence above.

I also tend to have sleep issues after working out in the evening too, any suggestions for this?

I also have this issue so I made sure to make necessary sacrifices in order to lift earlier in the afternoon, thus avoiding this problem.
  • laz22girl
    Options
    Instead of worrying about time of day, just make sure it's done.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I've tried it both ways, but found doing them in the a.m. is better for me. I get it done, shower & dress, and move on to my day. Then no matter what happens that day, whether good or bad, I know I got it done. And the other thing I notice: if I work out early, I find that I'm more inclined to be careful how I eat. I mean, why undo the good I did that morning? Mostly though, I think it is a matter of preference.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    Just my preference...I like morning workouts, I feel more energized throughout the day when I actually work out in the AM. As everyone said though, the important thing is just to make time for it in your schedule.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I do some of both. Actually morning, afternoon and night as often as I can. Obviously I am not doing 2 hours each time but I do try to utilize the small amounts of time I have available. I think this helps me to keep my fat burning going all day too.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i find it easier to do it am..seems that after the days activities, and i just have no energy at night..as long as it gets done, tho, anytime will be good..good luck:drinker:
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You should work out when it fits your schedule. It is awesome that you can do that.

I also work out at night, sometimes after 8!! When I first started, I would have problems getting to sleep, but now that my body is used to the workout time, it has adjusted and I fall asleep fine now!

Good luck!
  • dshaf4
    Options
    Well any exercise is better than none, so kudos to you for doing that. I know that the morning exercise is the best for you to do. You do get better benefits if you do it in the morning. I would always got up early with the children for school, ( i was not working at the time) and I would exercise before I would eat breakfast and I did see results. N:flowerforyou: ow that im working I do it in the evening as well, but I will say its much harder for me because I am usualy so tired. But fitness pal motivates me because when I see that my sister has exercised I know I have to . LOL! Good luck in your quest to live a healthy life.
  • aliburstall
    Options
    When I make it to morning Jazzercise, I have less stress during the day, I feel stronger and more energized. When I go to the evening class, I feel like I'm melting away the day's stress. I try to hit both classes, but I have noticed my body responds better in the morning. Fitness isn't stored, only fat is stored, so if you get it out of the way first thing, your whole day goes a little bit better, but it's true, doing exercise at all matters more than when you do it. My life goes better if I exercise two or more hours a day, one in the morning and one later.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter in any way. It will boost your metabolism whether you workout in the morning or evening the same amount. That means it will burn calories at the same increase of rate either way. The key is what works for you. There are some things you need to realize though.

First, a standard slow steady state cardio workout will not give much boost to your metabolic rate once you stop. Maybe a half hour or so if that. It is good to burn a lot of calories while you do it, and will strengthen your heart so it is good to do, but it is not a going to give a boost to your metabolic rate to speak of. One of the Interval style workouts be in standard Interval training, High Intensity Interval Training, or Metabolic Resistance Training will give a boost much longer (up to 36 or more hours). Intense weight training will do this as well, but I am not sure on how long it lasts. So the boost you get depends on what sort of exercise program you are doing.

Second, the metabolic boost following a workout is not huge. It is there, and it is measurable and will burn more calories, but it is not like it burns lots of calories per hour. If you think like me though, I would rather have the increased metabolic rate even if it is only a small amount of calories an hour as they all add up.

Third, to your initial question, the only negative to a PM workout, especially if you do it later at night, is that it can interfere with your ability to sleep, especially those workouts that create a bigger metabolic boost. I had that problem doing Metabolic Resistance Training within an hour or two of bed time. It would keep me up. So I moved my workouts to 3 hours or more before I go to bed unless they are straight cardio as that does not seem to hinder my sleep at all.

Finally, the best time to workout is the one you can and will keep working out at. I am not a morning person. If I had to force myself to workout in the morning I would soon stop working out even though I love workouts. So do what works for you.
  • pdandy
    pdandy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    lol ok i love #5, I will have to remember that, Thank you!! Im not easily offenced btw!
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    I'm not a morning person so I exercise at night. Plus my gym buddy works all day so if I want her to go with me, then I have to wait :) Exercising at night has never interfered with my sleep, but little does LOL I have noticed I'm more rested if I exercise and therefore have more energy the next day.
    I think what ever works for you is what you should do :)