I was given two options....

Options
I had been having some "female" problems lately and I finally got myself to see a doctor. After a ton of blood tests they found out my problem is due to my weight. I have some other health problems too. My doc gave me two options: Loose weight and get healthy now or expect to have a heart attack before you reach 30.

That's so scary! I'm only 26, I shouldn't be worrying about having a heart attack but here I am, scared I could drop any minute. I've got a three year old, that's not an option!

So here I am, for the fourth time at MFP. I was doing great this summer and lost a lot of weight, but then I got stressed and stopped caring. Then every other time I came back if I had a day or two where I went over my calories I'd give up.

Failing is not an option!

I started getting sick yesterday (My son had a cold and now that he's better I've got it :( ) so I haven't been able to work out the last couple days. I have been watching what I eat, avoiding junk food, filling myself with juice and water, and getting rest. As soon as I'm better the work outs will begin.

Replies

• JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well, sounds like you have found your motivation! That's all it takes!

Best of luck!
  • limismith
    limismith Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Hope it sticks this time! I love MFP!
  • kklemencic
    Options
    I found that a great motivation is my family, hubby and two sons. My family history isn't so hot and I wanted to be healthier and live as long as possible. You have some good motivation and your three year old will keep you hoping everyday. I remember those days well, my boys are 18 and 21 now. If you have a day where you slip don't get discouraged you are making healthy life long changes. You'll do great and keep logging on MFP it has helped me stay on track (most of the time) and motivated. Have a great weekend.
  • healthybones
    healthybones Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! You can do it. Failure is NOT an option. :D
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want it. Remember how you feel today when you start to give up. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • leelee03
    leelee03 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    don't let a day over calories get you down. They are bound to happen, and it's been proven that splurging now and then is actually better b/c it keeps you from giving up in the long haul. Whenever I'm over calories I just say "I will do better tomorrow" and then try my hardest to stick to it! : D
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best. Going over on calories shouldn't be cause for de-motivation. What matters is what kind of calories you're putting in your body. If I ate everyday like I did yesterday, I might as well give up. There will be bad days and good days and somewhere, if you're eating right most of the time, it balances out.

We all have our bad days with working out too. Sometimes life gets in the way. The important thing is to bounce back quick. I found the longer I go without working out, the more unmotivated I get. So we gotta dig DEEP sometimes and just make it happen. You'll see it's not so bad after all and you can still do it!

Sometimes it does take a doctor to point out the obvious to us. What matters is that you're aware and willing to get back out there, not only for you, but for your loved ones, too.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!

Beware juice - lots of sugar and calories.

Remember that this is about your life - calories will fluctuate from day to day. But, there needs to be more low calorie days than high calorie days. Also remember that you didn't become overweight overnight, and it's going to take TIME for it to come off. Think of this as a life change, not a "diet".
  • alacarte
    alacarte Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track, but you might want to surround yourself with a great support system. Make some like minded friends here on mfp. You might not consider it all that important, but the little boost from kind words of encouragement can really make all the difference. Good luck on your journey. You can do this!!!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I agree!

Don't give up! Challenge yourself! It's true this is all you, but you know I believe that everyone needs a cheerleader. Someone to yell "Way to Go" and "Keep it up" and "Not much longer"...

I have a candle sitting in the dining room. It has a picture of 4 beautiful children on it. While those children are now 24, 21, 19 and 18, I think about when they were elementary schoolers and we all did our homework together...all 5 of us. And how we cheered each other on to succeed.

Always there will be days that caring is the last thing on your to-do list. Always there will be days where one more thing is way too much. And always there is something more tasty for dinner than salad or vegetables or watching portion sizes. My focus right now is to be a burden, complete burden to my children in my 90s. Family history dictates that I'm on the other side of middle right now.

Do this for you, do this for others...but mostly do this for you!!! :) I'll cheer you!!! :):):)
  • DancingVe
    DancingVe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to an incredible journey! Remember to take it a day at a time. It isn't always easy, especially now with the holidays coming. However, it is possible! I'm now at goal weight, and I've kept it off for 7 months :). So far so good! Here are some things that I learned along the way that have been very helpful:

1. The food that we put into our bodies can either harm us or save us. It isn't just about a number on the scale; it's about feeding our bodies foods that will nurture our cells and tissues and blood, etc. In order to make life changes, we have to change our mind set about food and our behaviors around it. A blanket is comforting; a down pillow is comforting, a warm bath is comforting. Food is NOT comforting. Food is fuel! (I keep telling myself this every time I see a chocolate chip cookie :) )

2. You can't work off a bad diet. Exercise is super important, and it will help increase your metabolism, help you feel more energized, and help you tone. However, if diet changes are not made, health will not come. (see #1, Food is fuel).

3. Drink water! Drink water! Drink water! This is so important! It will help you not retain fluid and decrease the appetite. Sometimes drinking hot herbal with lemon is very helpful. You are getting your water and some flavor. The heat also helps me to quench my appetite momentarily without reaching for a bad snack.

4. Nature knows best. Have a sweet tooth? Eat blueberries. Want something crunchy and cracker-like? Slice up some cucumbers. We put so many chemicals and weird stuff in our food! I've been really trying to avoid processed foods and opt for whole, clean foods. It can be tough to break the habits, but worth it.

5. "Low fat" often means more sugar. Read labels! And again, try to avoid processed foods.

6. Break your weight loss into little goals, and enjoy the little milestones. Celebrate yourself! I think we girls often don't do this enough.

7. Last but not least, be patient. It probably took you an long time to put on the weight. It will probably take a long time to get it all off, and that's okay. And if you do fall off the wagon, don't despair. Just get right back on! Persistence and patience are key!

I highly recommend reading a book called "Appetites: What Women Want". It's actually about a woman's battle with anorexia, but I think it's a must read for every woman.

Good luck!
  • Bloom23
    Options
    Good luck! We must never give up! :-)