losing weight but not inches

Options
I have been losing weight consistently but have not lost any inches for over three weeks now. Can anyone explain why. I have been swimming every day for 80 mins and have been burning the calories.:sad:

Replies

• KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like you are eating way too few calories. You could be losing muscle mass instead of fat. Do a search for "Why I should eat my Exercise Calories back" and you will get info that you need.

Edit:
    Here is one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Here is another good place to look:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

By the way, are you using a Heart Rate Monitor to determine how many calories you burn while exercising, or are you just using the website's estimate?
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like you are eating way too few calories. You could be losing muscle mass instead of fat. Do a search for "Why I should eat my Exercise Calories back" and you will get info that you need.

Edit:
    Here is one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Here is another good place to look:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

By the way, are you using a Heart Rate Monitor to determine how many calories you burn while exercising, or are you just using the website's estimate?

Absolutely this. You are actually burning off more calories than you have eaten some days, looking at your diary.
  • Madiann
    Madiann Posts: 177
    Options
    The 30 Day Shred, by Jilian Michaels is a great workout video that has helped a lot of people lose inches and not so much weight. Maybe cut back a little time on swimming and add this workout in. Just a suggestion.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You definitely aren't eating enough. You should be NETTING no less than 1200 (I net between 1200 and 1400 for the day and am losing steadily).

Also, out of curiosity, what settings did you use to get an allowance of over 3,000 calories?! For a woman, that's pretty surprising.

You might also want to add in some weight training, either at a gym or with free weights at home. You are probably losing muscle mass between the low calories and just swimming. Try bumping up your calories and adding in weight training.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Also, out of curiosity, what settings did you use to get an allowance of over 3,000 calories?! For a woman, that's pretty surprising.
    I am assuming that the 3000+ calories are from logging swimming exercise. Swimming burns a tremendous amount of calories just from being in water for an extended time. Heat transfers much more easily from your body into water than from your body into air. For instance, Michael Phelps (the olympic swimmer) eat 12000+ calories each day when he is training.

Swimming is a great total body work out and low impact so that it is good on your joints as well. The real difficulty here is measuring the calories burned accurately. You might be able to find a heart rate monitor to wear in the water, but this will not take into account the calories burned just by being in the water and having your body heat sucked away. The only ways I could think of to measure the calories accurately would be to 1) Measure your CO2 output, or 2) measure the temperature of the water before you start, and measure the temperature after your finish, and multiply by the amount of water to find out how much heat has been put into the water. Neither one of these things sounds easy to me. :)
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Yep, you're right...I didn't see the line at the bottom about her burning 1400 calories in exercise. That would explain it. Makes me wish I was a better swimmer with access to a pool...