Sticking to 1200 net calories a day. No weightloss. Why?

Options
I'm doing a great job of sticking to my 1200 net calories a day. Sometimes a little less, like 1150, but nothing drastic. Two weeks ago, I lost 2.7 pounds. This week, I lost 0. Didn't gain either, but didn't lose. I thought staying at a consistent 1200 calories would help me lose 1.5 pounds a week. What gives? Advice? Suggestions? Anything, is appreciated. (My stats: 5'4", 153 pounds. Goal is 145 pounds).

On the plus side, I have a NSV. My size 10 jeans no longer fit. Way too loose to wear without a belt!!! Never thought I'd be in the single digits for clothes. NEVER! Super excited about this. :drinker:

Replies

• tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question...who cares about the scale if your body composition is changing?

Way to go girl :D
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What's your exercise routine like? Make sure you are drinking lots of water. Eat at least 1200 per day...anything less might put your body into starvation mode.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You have 4lbs left to lose? You shouldn't be trying for 1.5lbs per week. 0.5 is a better goal.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Muscle takes up less space than fat for the same amount of weight.
    Example: 5 lbs of fat =
    But 5 lbs of muscle = .
    So you may not have lost weight because you gained muscle.
    Congrats!!! ;):drinker: (lots of water)
  • kristenswangin
    Options
    I'm having this problem as well, but is been two weeks...1200 calories a day, give or take 50, in addition to exercising an hour in morning, mostly kickboxing...pants are definitely loose, but no pounds going away. Very frustrating! Plus, all the suggestions on how to up my calorie count include nuts, which I am allergic to. Probably going into starvation mode would be my guess, since my BMR is 1400 and I'm not eating replacement calories...just not hungry.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    You have 4lbs left to lose? You shouldn't be trying for 1.5lbs per week. 0.5 is a better goal.

^^ Yep, yep!
  • shorty458
    shorty458 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That has happened to me. I'm 5'0 and on a 1200 calorie diet. I went one time 3 weeks w/o weight loss. I was walking, eating right around 1200 calories, etc. Same as you - I was stuck on 153. I was so frustrated. Then one day all of a sudden, the weight finally starting coming back off.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    But 5 lbs of muscle = .

You cannot gain that much muscle in a deficit like she is but yes on the water.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Your doing a great job so don't stop. The weight will come off. Give it time.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    up your calorie intake by 100 more calories. trust me.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yep 0.5lbs a week at this stage! You have done so well just be patient and keep doing what you are doing!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question...who cares about the scale if your body composition is changing?

Way to go girl :D

this! you are losing inches... thats the main thing. the scales will catch up soon!
  • AshleyAmmerman
    Options
    Like someone said you should not be trying to loose 1.5 pounds a week with only 4 pounds to go. That is just not going to work. Also you did not explain what you do for activity. 1,150 calories is cutting it close. So many people on here are so proud of getting so far under their goal. Your body needs the proper amount of energy to function. Once you explain what you do for working out then maybe you can get a more accurate answer. cause if you are working out a lot then you need to up your calories a lot. If your just doing little things you still may need to up your intake just not as much. Good luck.
  • sandislim
    Options

^^ Yep, yep!

I find it a struggle to lose 1.5lbs a week and I have 50lbs left to lose
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    But 5 lbs of muscle = .

LOL..that's a GREAT example. If you are getting results then maybe its time to put the scale away and focus on lowering bodyfat.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    But 5 lbs of muscle = .

LOL..that's a GREAT example. If you are getting results then maybe its time to put the scale away and focus on lowering bodyfat.
  • MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your exercise routine and shock your body into using up your stored fat...I was at a plateau for about a week and a half so I started doing HIIT and I lost 2 pounds this week....give it a shot!
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

^^ Yep, yep!

I find it a struggle to lose 1.5lbs a week and I have 50lbs left to lose

Am I drunk? It looks like 8lbs to me?
  • macylane4
    Options
    I was on 1200 calories a day, and didn't lose much and got mad!! Everybody told me you have to eat at least 1500 to lose so the next week I up it to 1500 calories, and lost 3 pounds! I would try to up your calories some!!!!
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    just a thought... if you only weigh once a week, you might have caught yourself on a 'high' day. i weigh every day (seems to be frowned on here, but i do it for the statistician in me) and assuming a regular schedule, i have noticed that i have a consistent pattern of weighing the same or gaining slightly for 2-3 days for every day of loss. the general trend is downward over time, but if i only weighed 1x a week there's no guarantee i'd catch myself on a 'loss' day since of course the weigh-in day is arbitrary, and i'd get the false impression that i wasn't losing when in fact, over the course of time i am.

you could also have been retaining a little water, which can make the scale fluctuate ridiculous amounts? obviously i don't know what you're eating.

but mostly i 100% agree with tiedye. you're noticing positive changes: focus on that instead of scale numbers. congrats! :)