Help!

Options
_xoxok
_xoxok Posts: 152 Member
Hellooo everyone! Let me introduce myself. My name is Kisha, & I'm 19 years old. I'm about 5'4" & 169 pounds ='( .. I was about 140-145 through high school, but of course stress & real life problems hit and my weight sky rocketed. I've been TRYING to lose weight since May of this year, but I'm having very little success. I would LOVE to be around 125. I don't have any motivation at home, because my mom struggles with food. Its hard to face it, but she just can't say no. & That's the same way of life I fell into. I spend all my weekends at home, because I have no self confidence & don't want any of my friends to see how much weight I've actually gained. My wardrobe consists of big shirts, & sweat pants. I guess the reason I'm writing this is because I WANT TO FEEL BEAUTIFUL. I wanna go shopping, go out, & have fun.. Like I should be doing. But the question is, how do I get to that point? I know almost nothing about eating healthy. My mom does the grocery shopping, so it's always chips, cookies, hamburger helper.. How do I help myself get out of this situation? If you have any advice to give me, please do. I would really appreciate it(:

Thanks for reading! ♥

Replies

• jwelch7290
    jwelch7290 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I learned that if you learn to cook a few simple meals with fresh foods and you cook them for your mom sometime...it might motivate her to eat healthier...healthy foods actually taste AMAZING! You can add me if I can help in any way. I'm 21 and in college!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Start by looking at serving sizes on everything you eat. Eat the correct serving size.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    Hon - I'm sorry that you're so young and so down on yourself. Self-confidence comes from within, not from without. Wearing the baggies will only hide your reality. Stress at 19? You'll have it at 30, 40, 50 ....the day you die is the day you have no stress. First - take responsibility for what you put in your own mouth. We don't live on an island, no guns to our heads -we make our own choices.
    Stand up, stand tall, get out of the baggies and into something nice - doesn't have to be costly, just nice. Look the part on the inside, and "fake it till ya make it" on the inside. We don't have to do something becuase we FEEL like it, we do it because we have to, need to, or want to.
    Next - you can put on an ipod, portable music, or even a little hand-held radio. Get out and walk. EVERY DAY. 30-60 min. If you can't do all 60 at one time, do two 30-min walks. If you can, get to some exercise classes - at least 3 a week. If not, get DVD's at the library - free.
    Next - you can steam your own vege's, switch to low-fat or non-fat. NO cookies, candy, chips - JUNK food.
    Lastly - dont' tell your self "I CAN'T do this" or "I HAVE to do that" - because those are negative words. They cause stress and anxiety - which makes you eat more.
    Tell yourself this: I WANT AND I DESERVE TO BE HEALTHY AND LEAN. I WANT AND I DESERVE TO BE HAPPY AND HEALTHY. THE CHOICE IS MINE. I CAN EAT "x" AND FEEL MOMENTARY HAPPINESS, YET I CHOSE NOT TO EAT "x" - BECAUSE I WANT AND I DESERVE TO BE HEALTHY AND LEAN.
    THAT is your new motto. Print it out, write it down, put it EVERYWHERE..... because you DO deserve it! You can make it happen. Only you. Not your mom, not any friends, not us here - just you. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • _xoxok
    Options
    Thank you! The stress comes from losing my job earlier this year, & I haven't been able to find a new one. I love to exercise, but if I really want to lose the weight - I have to teach myself how to eat right. It will be hard, but I know I can do it.
  • Sanboy31
    Options
    Healthy low calorie snacks to eat in between meals or as a dessert to keep you feeling full and on the straight and narrow. A low calorie jelly made up as per the packet almost allowed to set then blend in a small tub of low calorie plain yoghurt seems like a treat which helps your head get around the deprivation aspect of dieting.
  • melisae
    melisae Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd start with baby steps. A complete overhaul is overwhelming. When I first started I made a couple of small changes when looking for food--I chose items that are natural sugar (as in no sugar added or even just less sugar) and chose breads that are made with whole wheat flour (it will be the first ingredient, enriched flour etc are not as healthy for you). Those two changes made a big difference. Then I upped my fruit and veggies intake. After you get the hang of that you can look to eat less red meat and more chicken/turkey/fish. Another lifesaver is not completely cutting myself off from "naughty" food, just an indulgence every once in a while helps satisfy my cravings and keep me from going on a binge. And don't forget to eat in moderation! Just eating healthier will make you feel better physically and mentally.

And I understand about not feeling beautiful. When I hit my heaviest it was the lowest point of my self esteem. But once I started making changes to my eating habits and exercising I began to feel like myself again and the confidence and a healthy state of mind came back. However, please know you are beautiful right now. Just as you are. I know you can't see it right now (I couldn't either at that point) but you will. :)
  • spekticalface
    spekticalface Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i'm 19 too :) i've always struggled with my weight and motivation. i managed to loose weight once in my life but ive since put it back on and that is soooooo DEPRESSING!!! :( ... i just found this site two days ago and already i'm feeling much more confident than i have in a long long long long time :D ... it's sooo easy to use that it has made me ultra-determined to do it this time!! i love how it asks you to list your motivations as well! made me really think about why i want to loose weight and give me the initial nudge i needed!!!!! Eating less isn't too hard for me, its the getting off my lazy backside and doing excercise!!! :P ... but with this site theres so many people doing well its really given me a boost!!!
    my entire family are big :/ it would be sooo easy to blame my genes and not try, but i know that we arent the most physical family in the world and thats the problem, ive inherited my mothers reluctance to move not her dress size!!!! :p ... i'm currently trying to force my mum and sister to use this site as well!!!!
    you can soooo do this... it's just getting your head in the right place and going for it :) your not that big! your goal is totally realistic and your really pretty too! :)
    oh and excercise is the key ;)
    x x x
  • _xoxok
    Options
    Thanks so much! Such great advice.. This time I am determined to get the weight off! Good luck to everyone :)