Chips or not?

Options
Okay, I swore off chips but I got my hands on some sun chips and I only ate half a serving. I feel bad, but what do you think? is this okay? And should I stop eating sun chips altogther to stay true to my goal(I'm starting to love Sunchips since theyre good and i read the nutrition facts).

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Okay, I swore off chips but I got my hands on some sun chips and I only ate half a serving. I feel bad, but what do you think? is this okay? And should I stop eating sun chips altogther to stay true to my goal(I'm starting to love Sunchips since theyre good and i read the nutrition facts).

I think your first priority is to come to terms with your guilt about food so that you can build a better relationship with it.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If chips are something that you really love then swearing off completely is setting yourself up for failure anyway. Just be smart about it and just have a couple when you really want some.

LLAP :flowerforyou:
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    ^^This^^
    If chips are something you enjoy - eat them just stick to a serving.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Weigh out the exact serving, log it and enjoy every bite, imo.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Completely cutting out foods you love is the number one way to fail at a program like this. You need to realize that this isn't a diet, but a lifestyle change. If you are going to be able to stick with it for the rest of your life, you need to cut yourself some slack! Don't banish foods altogether, eat them in moderation. As long as you stay around your caloric goals you're fine :D
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Moderation, moderation, moderation. :happy: If you are at the point where you can open a bag, have one serving (really, really one serving, not kidding yourself) and then put them away… for crying out loud, life is too short to make yourself that miserable over it. However, if you're not ready to stop yourself from eating half the bag, then you're just not ready yet and it's best to not have them around. Chips are one of my biggest downfalls, so I've been there. I had to completely swear off of them for probably 2 months. Then I allowed myself servings of Baked Lays varieties (which I really do like), pretzels, and so on. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that I was really allowing myself a little too much leeway with "treats" (gotta LOVE having a food diary!), so I've backed off again. But, I'm not about to say I'll never eat chips again. How silly. :happy:

BTW … Garden Salsa is my all time favorite Sun Chip!!

Best of luck!
  • BicepsBrachii
    Options
    If it fits into your macros then eat it
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Completely cutting out foods you love is the number one way to fail at a program like this. You need to realize that this isn't a diet, but a lifestyle change. If you are going to be able to stick with it for the rest of your life, you need to cut yourself some slack! Don't banish foods altogether, eat them in moderation. As long as you stay around your caloric goals you're fine :D
    ^^this.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters........AND I love chips! I won't give them up, and continue to look for nummy alternatives - LIKE VEGGIE chips and VEGGIE straws! They are crunchy, delicious, work with your favorite dips, and you can have a LOT of them for less calories & fat than any other chip!

check 'em out :)
    http://www.mediterraneansnackfoods.com/products/veggie-chips/

Trust me, they don't taste like vegetables........I'd compare them with those "Munchos" chips in texture, but they're a little thicker.

I also like Sun Chips, and those Tostito Artisan ones..........
  • teenyinni
    Options
    If you're able to control your portions so well and limit yourself when it comes to foods you really love, then by all means go for it! To echo what other posters said, it's all about moderation and making changes that you can sustain for life. I know that there are certain foods that I lose control with. I re-learned this the hard way last week when I went through a family size box of reduced fat cheez its in under a week. I've come to terms with the fact that I can't have them in the house and if I really want some, I need to just get a single serving from the vending machine!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

In my own opinion, you shouldn't "swear off" any food that you enjoy. The whole point, for me, of trying to lose some weight and eat a bit better is so that I CAN occasionally enjoy a burger and fries, or pizza, or beer. There's no "OK" or "not OK", except for what works for YOU.

Personally, I've stopped eating corn chips with lunch, because if I eat something that calorie-dense at lunch, I get hungry in the afternoon. I do still sometimes snack on 'em, though.

There's only one food I NEVER eat. Eggs. The only reason for that is that I'm deathly allergic to them, and I'd rather not die just yet.