Raw eggs?

Options
Does anyone here consume raw egg and why? how do you keep it down and is there a way to make it easier to eat/swallow?

Replies

• BicepsBrachii
    Options
    Why would you eat raw eggs? Just because it was in Rocky does not make it a smart thing to do.
    Cook them, they taste better and are just as nutritious
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I don't, because I like to enjoy my food. I'm weird like that.
  • jweidner33
    jweidner33 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    As soon as I saw this post the theme from Rocky popped in my head! Da na naaaa ..Da na naaa
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Why would you eat raw eggs? Just because it was in Rocky does not make it a smart thing to do.
    Cook them, they taste better and are just as nutritious

LOL Yes this ^^
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    There is nothing bad in raw eggs, they aren't as tasty as they are once they are cooked but there is nothing that can harm you in them (despite the rubbish you hear about food poisoning)

I have only eaten them in restaurants etc not as a health kick so can't help all too much i am afriad!
  • Ian214
    Ian214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Was just wondering if anyone actually consumed them ^_^
  • Ian214
    Ian214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Was just wondering if anyone actually consumed them ^_^

Other than Rocky lmao
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat raw eggs but I have heard that when you cook them it looses protein and nutrients (like most of our food when cooked) so people who are trying to build muscle eat them.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Yep. I eat raw egg yolks in my smoothies every morning, makes them nice and creamy.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I love to eat cooked eggs in lots of different forms, but the snotty gross consistency of the whites when raw makes my stomach turn a bit, I wouldn't be able to handle putting that in my mouth.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat raw eggs but I have heard that when you cook them it looses protein and nutrients

Bioavailability in raw eggs is lower than in cooked form.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to make a decent protein shake with cooked eggs in it.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating raw eggs. People scared of catching salmonella or something? You can catch nearly any type of sicknesses/diseases/etc. through other foods that we eat daily or occasionally.

Best way to eat raw is mix it in a blender with your favorite protein shake or breakfast shake. It will make your favorite shake creamier! Try it and see how you like it.
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love raw egg whites with gin, lemon juice, a bit of superfine sugar, and seltzer, i.e. a silver gin fizz (seriously tasty, the egg whites are shaken til they're quite frothy and give the drink some real creaminess)

All other times I prefer my egg whites cooked and my yolks a little runny.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I eat raw egg yolks when I make mayonaise. Does that count?

I eat mayonaise because it tastes good. :happy:
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I would agree that there's nothing wrong with raw eggs if you are getting them from the grocery store and they are processed in a plant that packages them.
    However, if you are buying farmstand, farmers market, or straight from the farm eggs there could be all kinds of nasties on the shell that didn't get washed off by the manual egg wash method. And egg shells are porous, that's how the embryo inside gets oxygenated. Stands to reason the stuff on the outside of the shell can work its way inside.

So, supermarket eggs....safe to eat raw
    Actual farm-fresh eggs, safer to cook them. Deffinately a better quality egg so if you believe cooking reduces the nutrients that would probably make it about equal to a store-bought egg.
    When we give eggs to our 'city' friends they are amazed at the rich color of the yolks compared to the pastel color from store eggs. Also the aroma is different and the taste is more intense. Free range chickens that forage for natural foods produce the best eggs.
  • cupcakethefatclown
    Options
    I have actually known a couple people. One of my friends puts an egg in his orange juice every morning. And I have heard some people put them in smoothies to bulk up the protien, if you are concerned about bacteria the egg substitues (like egg beaters) work well for this also
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it. The taste of raw egg white squicks me out. However, there are the health risks to consider also. Layers are kept at extraordinarily high density - even the cage free and free range ones - so disease can be pretty common and can get transmitted to the eggs.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I love raw egg whites with gin, lemon juice, a bit of superfine sugar, and seltzer, i.e. a silver gin fizz (seriously tasty, the egg whites are shaken til they're quite frothy and give the drink some real creaminess)

All other times I prefer my egg whites cooked and my yolks a little runny.

Me too! Except I like my yolks a lot runny. and my raw egg drink of choice is egg nog (yes real egg nog not that nasty stuff in cartons people think is egg not).