Is there a multi-vitamin that WON'T make me hurl?

Options
2»

Replies

• FitnessDivaK
    Options
    Maybe you should try some of the gummie/chewable varieties???
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Typically best way to consume vitamins is you eat a little, than eat vitamin, than eat more-if I do it any other way than this I get sick. When I first took vitamins without food I projectile vomited about 4-6 times about 10mins after taking it. Than I tried taking it right before food and it would make me extremely nausous and I felt like I was going to vomit any moment.
    Than someone at work told me to eat some food first, than vitamin than more food, so I did that and I felt fine, make sure you eat quite a bit of food before and after, not something small-maybe like half sandwich before vitamin and another half after, or you can use a large apple, or anything big and hearty. Try this, it may solve your problem. I have tried a bunch of different vitamins before and they all have same effect on me unless I take it properly.
    Also one thing to consider is if you're on birth control, some vitamins have an excess amount of iron your body doesn't need for menstrual cycles, so your body rejects the vitamins with high iron content by vomiting. So choose one with lower content if your birth control has changed the regularity of your cycle.
    But whenever taking vitamins, eat some food before and some after. I feel your pain and frustration with the vitamins, it took me a long time and many sick moments to figure out how to take it right. :)
    When I began my weight loss journey, I met with my friend who is also a registered dietitian. She recommended that I begin taking a daily multi vitamin to ensure that my body is receiving all necessary vitamins and minerals, as these can be hard to get when you begin losing weight. She recommended a multi vitamin that had calcium and folic acid, so I chose "One a Day Teen Advantage for Her" since it fit the requirements.

Holy freaking God.

These things are enormous and hard to swallow, taste terrible for the moment they're in your mouth, and seriously every time I take them I feel sick to my stomach, and get insane stomach cramps. I've tried taking them with and without food, and still they make me feel like crap.

Has anyone else had this problem with taking multivitamins? If so, have you found one that doesn't make you feel terrible?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I take vita craves gummies with immunity support. I don't mind "regular" vitamins....but these are just so tasty!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I take the generic form of centrum for women. If I take it in the AM I will throw it back up. Same thing happened with my prenatal vitamins. I have to eat and than wait awhile and then take them, Unfortunately they are still huge.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I like Centrum Kids, they taste better than Flintstones. I tried taking adult vitamins with food but they still made me feel ill.
  • Jane0143
    Options
    I like Emergen-C, especially Tangerine or lemon lime. It's a powder that you mix with water. Very good and doesn't make me feel nasueous
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way about the One a Day Teen when I tried taking them.
    All the multivitamins I looked at all seemed really big to me. (I'm really bad with large pills)

I take Vitafusion chewable adult multivitamins. I think Target has a generic version of it.

I take the Target generic brand of these. Used to take one a days and for some reason this past year I have been having difficulty swallowing pills...so I switched to chewables. And they don't taste bad.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I googled this because I had never heard of vitamins making people sick/nauseous and I found out an awful lot of people suffer this. (You learn something new everyday on MFP).

Sorry this isn't much help but there is a lot of speculation on the web as to why they may be making you sick, maybe some of it might be helpful to you.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have tried so many vitamins, they make me sick (with food) and or give me bad headaches. Only thing I seem to be able to tolerate is Childrens vitamins. But I am considering tossing those too, and just focusing on making sure I get what I need in food.
  • RNMDFF
    RNMDFF Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble at first. i would sometimes through up from them and get headaches. i kept taking them because i had them. it took a few weeks and they are fine now as long as I eat when i take them.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Probably iron, I take "Senior multivitamin" because it lacks iron. Not that I have any problems with it but just I get more than enough iron from my meals.