Running; doesn't seem to be getting easier..

Options
Any suggestions for how to improve running stamina? I've been running now, using a variety of training programs including c25k for about a month now. I'm otherwise physically fit, I exercise doing muscle training and different cardio classes (kickboxing or step) several times a week. So, I'm in shape and I exercise hard, but for SOME reason I can't seem to improve at running. I run about a 12 minute mile, and I can't run more than 2 miles at most. And thats a stretch. Its typically closer to 1.5 miles. Anyways, any other suggestions how to improve or get better?

Replies

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    keep running... don't stop. push yourself through the pain and boredom barrier. It's the only way! Ok, I'm sure others will give suggestions too, but a lot of it is mind over matter. Sounds like no other physiological reason!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Are you eating before you run? I run first thing in the morning and used to have the same problem until I started eating some small protein before my run (scrambled egg or a tablespoon of peanut butter) and drink at least 8 ounces of water. It seems to make it easier.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Keep running. You are doing great!
    Push yourself beyond that limit on your next run.
    If you went 1.5 miles today....go 1.6 the next run and just keep going a little farther each time. You CAN do it!!
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I agree...keep running..push past whatever is stopping you. With that said, be proud of your 12 minute mile! Are you having any physical discomforts? if not, set a goal and keep trying to improve on that. I ran/walked my first 5k..my time was 50 minutes which is not so good! However, I did it, I completed it..

Now, at the gym I can run 2 miles without stopping.. for me it was a mental block

Friend me if you'd like!

Dawn
  • taylorromanyk
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, but you're probably doing better than you think! Before college, I couldn't run at all, and now I'm at three miles. But I still feel weak. We can do this! You're amazing!
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have found that sprinting for at least 10 seconds at the end of my long runs improved my stamina for the next one. Maybe you could try that?
  • Wyldcat89
    Options
    One thing that's greatly helped me the last few months has been discovering Chi Running. If you've never heard of it you can google it and watch some of the how to videos on youtube. It's tweaking your running form to use less energy, fewer leg muscles and run more efficiently. I'm comfortably up to 7 miles at a time with what seems like very little effort, it's actually making running much more fun.

Another thing you can do is check your local running stores for group runs. Find one that's led by experienced runners who can help you to improve on what you're already doing. That's where I learned about Chi Running.
  • snc1212
    Options
    Is that all at once? You could try the running room technique...run 10 mins, walk 1 min etc. I find that really works well.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have been doing 12 minutes miles for the last year and frankly it does not bother me LOL. I know that HIIT reall help improving speed. Run hard for one minute then walk for one minute. Do that for 20 minutes. You should feel like puking at the end LOL. You will see a big difference after a few weeks
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I find out with my cardio workouts I have way more energy and stamina if I work out in the late afternoon or evening. I still work out in the mornings, because it's often the best time of day to get in a workout, but if you're wanting to time yourself, maybe try a different time of day and see if you can beat your time that way. I notice even my heart rate goes higher in the morning, with less effort, than it does in the pm.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I had a friend tell me "the first 2 miles are the hardest"-- and I believe it to this day. It took me forever to get those initial two miles but once I did, the miles just started piling on. It takes patience.

What does it feel like when you have to stop? Is it a breathing thing? A leg thing? Stomach cramps? Knowing WHY you can't go further might help determine how to get past it.

Also, speed intervals are great. On one of your running days each week, instead of going steady, go full out for like 30-60 seconds then walk 1-2 min to recover. Repeat for the remainder of the time or distance you would normally run. This is a great way to pass the time on a treadmill. I like to see how fast I can go. If you have someone to run with, these are fun to do outside as "races"-- pick out a set distance (i.e. the next telephone pole or driveway, etc) and race full out. These will help change it up from your normal routine and will also help with your overall running. Before you know it, 2 miles will be your easy warm-up run!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It would also be helpful to know what the issue is keeping you from running longer or faster, and what exactly your goal is. Do you want to get faster or run longer? Most will want to do both, but you work on one at a time.

Running is often the type of activity where gains are very small and gradual. One month isn't a huge amount of time. I would not expect to see a huge difference in that time, especially where you are starting out. I agree with others, just keep going. It will get easier. Try to increase the mileage or time running slowly.

I would also suggest adding in intervals and hills later, but would be careful, it is an easy way to get hurt if you do too much too soon. At this point, I would just focus on building a good base.
  • superxc55
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! Its mostly an issue of breathing. I feel so out of breath and my heart rate is just out of control. I imagine I could probably just keep trying to push through, I like the idea someone had where I just add a tiny bit of distance each time. I basically started at week five of c25k (anything previous to that was unnecessary because I was already running longer and faster than what earlier weeks required )and stopped at week 6 or 7. And I just keep bouncing back and forth. Its true though, I might just need to push through and do it.

Oh, and I never run in the AM, just because my workouts in the morning are never of the same caliber as my later day workouts. I think its just something about my body that refuses to function as well if its before 10am. :) Really, thanks for the support at least!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Just force your body to go farther and faster! If it tries to protest just tell it to shut up and take the pain :). Doing this worked for me.... up to 4-5 miles from 1 mile two weeks ago.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    C25K is a 9 week program, you should expect to be running 3 miles less than half way through.
    It's worked for so many people, just stick with it!
    The key is in the interval training, run then recover, then run more. You eventually run longer and longer through each week.
    I really suggest starting early in the program, but maybe try sprinting instead.
  • la_flaca
    la_flaca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I had a friend tell me "the first 2 miles are the hardest"-- and I believe it to this day. It took me forever to get those initial two miles but once I did, the miles just started piling on. It takes patience.

This is so very true! I think a lot of people quit running for exactly that reason....the first couple miles suck to a greater or lesser extent depending on the day....after you have more practice, you start seeing mile one as "the annoying part right before the part I like." I truly believe that if you can just get comfortable with about three miles, it's easy to just add a little more every week, right up to a marathon!

I started out running with a group that did the Galloway (walk/run) method - I found them through my local running-shoe store. It really helped to find other new runners in my pace range, to know that people were expecting me every week, and to chat the miles away.

I don't think I'd start messing with intervals just yet. You want to get a nice comfortable base, find a pace where you can feel steady and confident, and slowly increase your mileage. Lots of time for speed work and hills later on. Plus, as crazy as this may sound at the moment, the idea is to enjoy yourself :) Keep chugging away - it does get easier.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I agree with that "first two miles thing." Usually I'm trying to come up with a good excuse to stop, Then I tell myself to shut up.

Also, I'm not a doctor. Heck I don't even play one on TV. But when my actual doctor prescribed me an inhaler for exercise induced asthma, my distance really picked up.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Totally agreed on the first part being the part that sucks. I haven't been running very much lately, since I'd prefer to be on a bike, but I think the same thing applies: It takes 20 minutes to get good and warmed up, before the "God, this sucks" part turns into "Hey, this is fun". For me, this applies whether it's biking, running, elliptical, dreadmill, or whatever. I've found that if I can tune my brain out and ignore the initial discomfort, everything gets better 20 minutes in.
  • snc1212
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! Its mostly an issue of breathing. I feel so out of breath and my heart rate is just out of control. I imagine I could probably just keep trying to push through, I like the idea someone had where I just add a tiny bit of distance each time. I basically started at week five of c25k (anything previous to that was unnecessary because I was already running longer and faster than what earlier weeks required )and stopped at week 6 or 7. And I just keep bouncing back and forth. Its true though, I might just need to push through and do it.

Oh, and I never run in the AM, just because my workouts in the morning are never of the same caliber as my later day workouts. I think its just something about my body that refuses to function as well if its before 10am. :) Really, thanks for the support at least!

If it's heart rate and breathing then the 10mins run 1 min walk should really help. It would give you a chance to recover a bit before continuing.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not a doctor. Heck I don't even play one on TV. But when my actual doctor prescribed me an inhaler for exercise induced asthma, my distance really picked up.

Great point! Have you been checked for asthma? Mine isn't exercise induced (allergy related) but there are some days I sound like I'm dying because I'm huffing and puffing so much -- and I'm getting ready to do my second marathon.