opinions on my calorie intake

Options
hi everyone :)
Im Kimmy 28 and 5'7" weight 236 was the last good weigh in which was 9 days ago and 6 days after starting my exercise routine. Since then my weight has been steady going up. I know Ive been told that for the first 2-3 weeks exercise can mae you retain water and appear to gain wait. Well today will mark day 21 of my aerobics and jogging ect exercise. i typically burn according mfp 400-500 calories when I exercise. Im getting an hrm in a few das and will know more accurate numbers on burns then but at my size the intensity Im putting in my exercise I figure Im burning atleast 300 any rate... If I go over 1300 I wont lose the 2lbs a week I want so just curious what ya'll opinions are. Lol btw if the scale doesnt start dropping this week the exercise will be droppefor now cause I was steady losing without it lol ad seeing scale steady rise even if the jeans are getting baggy is bad for my mind lol

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    So even though exercise is good for you, and your pants are getting baggy, you are going to let a scale number effect you? And stop or slow down exercise? I would rethink that:flowerforyou:
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    So even though exercise is good for you, and your pants are getting baggy, you are going to let a scale number effect you? And stop or slow down exercise? I would rethink that:flowerforyou:

^^^ THIS
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    at this point I am just attempting to get below 200lbs the healthiest fastest way possible. Eating a very healthy diet of 1200 calories I was dropping around 2lbs a week I added in exercise to improve this loss. Toning and being in better shape can wait till in the onederland if exercisng is going to halt my weight loss. Sorry it's not like I have a sedentary lifestyle. I work a very active job and have lots of stuff that keeps me up and active. so, yes , for the sake of my sanity and self motivation I will halt exercise if the scale keeps rising.
  • KaySera
    KaySera Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So even though exercise is good for you, and your pants are getting baggy, you are going to let a scale number effect you? And stop or slow down exercise? I would rethink that:

^^^^THIS^^^^

High blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol don't show up on the scale....but go the way you're going and they'll show up soon enough. IGNORE what your scale says; go by the way your clothes fit!
  • Nessbumxoxo
    Options
    When I started exercising to lose weight for my wedding the scales didn't drop at all. In fact I gained weight in the first few weeks. HOWEVER, overall I lost 6% body fat, dropped a dress size and gained muscle and strength. You need to look at what type of exercise you do whether it is cardiovascular, fat burning or strength training. I would focus more on body fat percentage and dress size rather than a number on the scale. If you're pants are baggy then you're doing the right thing. Stop stressing yourself out over it, you'll increase your cortisol levels, decrease your metabolism and put your mind in the wrong place which generally leads to giving up. Stay strong and keep going!!
  • Ritala1987
    Ritala1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    it may just be your muscle building as to why the scales are moving in the wrong direction. that will change, keep it up, your body will only thank you for it :) also, have you been taking measurements???this could be changing dramatically even when the scales arent! :)
  • proudmommylmb
    proudmommylmb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Since you were dieting and not exercising your body was getting rid of the fat reserves. As you add in exercise, your body should start enhancing your muscles...muscles typically way much more than fat. And often times your body may be easily adapting to exercise and building muscle strength compared to someone else so it appears like you are gaining weight.

What kind of exercise are you doing? If you are building muscle at this point, you may want to slow down and or wait on that. I would just run everyday until I reach my goal weight THEN start toning up. It sounds like you are losing weight, but also keep an eye on your intake. If you want to lose more fat, decrease your carb intake....
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary it's hard to know if you are eating properly and the right amount. You said you were on 1200 calories and losing and then added in exercise and are not losing. You may not be eating enough. Your sodium levels may be higher than you realise especially if you eat a lot of processed foods. Make your diary public and everyone can give you more informed advice. If you are losing inches that is a good thing. Morganadk2 has some good information posted there, read it and see if it may apply to you. Don't give up on your exercise because once you find the right balance the pounds will start to fall off. Good luck and hang in there.
  • cppeace
    Options
    my diary is now cmpletely public. Lol cept for my one cheat day, which I have one a month, I am on a vegetarian diet. Very healthy eating. Im over on carbs occassionally but they are all good carbs. Never reach protien goal but with pb and guac I make fat goal or close sometimes. Im expecting to see the scale down this week. So I doubt I shall stop exercise.
    Options
    I would increase your protein intake and lower the carbs honestly. Protein is important!
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are not eating enough. I always eat my exercise calories and lose weight every week.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you are starting to exercising, you will be building up muscle, but losing fat. So take your measurements and go by them and the way your clothes fit and the way you feel. Scales will not give you a 100% accurate representation of your progress. Don't stop exercising!! Keep going!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I'd say, looking over the last 5 days or so, you're definitely not eating enough vegetables. You need to up your overall intake so you're getting at least 5 portions of varied veg each day - this will help you hit macronutrient targets, and will improve your digestion. It will also help you feel fuller.
  • cppeace
    Options
    protien just does not leave me feeling full. I eat a potato and am fine for 2 hours or more I drink my protien shake and I need food in a half an hour tops. I'm over 40g on protien so I know that is not unhealthy low. if when water weight goes away this week I havent lost my two lbs ish area then I will eat back more exercise calories but I do eat back 50-100 or so of them already.
    Options
    Hard for me to give filling protein advice since I am not a vegetarian honestly :] Shakes arent too filling ill agree with you there. Protein will help you protect your muscle mass at least some.

To all of you saying she is gaining muscle mass at such a fast rate:HIGHLY unlikely.
  • cppeace
    Options
    Im on a veg. Diet primarily because fruit and veg has the lowest calories so I can snack all day. I have a picky pallet. I love meats but they are high calorie so its logical to drop them to mantain my calories. Theres not many fruit and veg that I like ad when it comes to meat Im aprimary chicken eater. I dont like beef fish brocolli brussel sprouts asparagus any berries. When I make a salad it typically consists of lettuce spinach tomato and maybe carrots... And a little fat free dressing... i also eat beans for protien... This is prolly all just water weight Im whining abonut anyway...
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Beans are probably the most satisfying vege protein. Try a range of them. Cottage cheese is good, try that with your potato instead of cheddar. Look into adding lentils into food too. Yoghurt is also pretty good. Quorn and soya substitutes help.

If you add in some veg based protein with every meal and then drink your shake once a day, you'll be over protein goals with little trouble. And again, having fresh veg in there will help too.

Have a look at the vegetarian society website for some ideas on protein. And get yourself some good vege cookbooks - rose elliott is wonderful, the river cottage veg book is nice.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Im on a veg. Diet primarily because fruit and veg has the lowest calories so I can snack all day. I have a picky pallet. I love meats but they are high calorie so its logical to drop them to mantain my calories. Theres not many fruit and veg that I like ad when it comes to meat Im aprimary chicken eater. I dont like beef fish brocolli brussel sprouts asparagus any berries. When I make a salad it typically consists of lettuce spinach tomato and maybe carrots... And a little fat free dressing... i also eat beans for protien... This is prolly all just water weight Im whining abonut anyway...

OK, I don't think I've ever advised someone to eat meat but... I don't think your logic is logical here. Eat lean meat! If you like it, if you are not vege for any coherent reason other than weightloss, you're setting yourself up with an unsustainable long term diet. Your dietary diary frankly doesn't *look* like a vegetarian's - and now I know why. You're not one! :-)

Lean meat is going to make you feel fuller, increase your protein, and if you intend to go back to meat eating, then it makes sense to learn to do so in a healthy way now.
  • discodaddy61
    discodaddy61 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    the truth of the matter is this. how much water are you drinking? lack of water will cause you to retain it which increases weight gain.
    also to few calories puts your body on starvation/defense mode and so it keeps what you have stored to avoid not having enough fuel for your daily needs. also its ok to eat a good meal if you are going to burn at least half of them with your exercise. please let me know if i can help i can point you toward some simple articles to help educate you on nutrition with exercise. always dave
    ps you can add me as a friend if you like